Hi From Northern California!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi From Northern California!

Post by MrFixIt on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:18 am

Hey all, long time tinkerer of electronics and fan of tube equipment. Many years have passed since I worked on a tube radio so I figured it was high time to get into the hobby. I see it as a good indoor hobby, especially on bad weather days.
Never knew about radio theory and function, but in order to be better equipped now I've been reading a lot and watching a lot of good videos. Still not up to speed, but I'm learning.
I have a question about a Detrola I'm working on, but I'll start a new thread in the proper area.
Thanks and glad to be here!
-Niles

MrFixIt

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2017-01-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi From Northern California!

Post by QualityGuy on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:31 pm

Welcome, Niles. Lots of smart people on this forum. Be patient for answers; it can take a little while.

QualityGuy

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2015-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:17 pm

Welcome to TRF, Niles!
Tony V

Number of posts : 620
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by MrFixIt on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:35 pm

TY!

MrFixIt

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2017-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Davis on Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:35 am

Welcome! Good to have you join us.
Greg Davis

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:53 pm

MrFixIt wrote:Hey all, long time tinkerer of electronics and fan of tube equipment. Many years have passed since I worked on a tube radio so I figured it was high time to get into the hobby. I see it as a good indoor hobby, especially on bad weather days.
Never knew about radio theory and function, but in order to be better equipped now I've been reading a lot and watching a lot of good videos. Still not up to speed, but I'm learning.
I have a question about a Detrola I'm working on, but I'll start a new thread in the proper area.
Thanks and glad to be here!
-Niles
'shoulda said "WELCOME" when I posted to your Detrola. Anyway, there it is...

BTW the Detrola circuit is quite the radio, tuned RF PP output, slick if it has a 10" or greater speaker, shweet!

Take your time and download the handbook I pointed to in ARF.

Alan Voorhess could do more in the archive section, but maintenance of a large forum is an all day job.

I don't have time right now, busy with household, BUT there is plenty of data and info on the web unlike 20ya. when one was lucky to even reach Google let alone find anything.

Issue is there is also a lot of "ham-n-egger' information too. I do not take stock in any of the Youtube stuff. The best training comes from handbooks printed in the era and from a few of the later publications that address antique radio problems unique to or because of age...

I am classically trained in electronics. Meaning I learned at an early age of 9yo and added to my knowledge as needed. Enough so that my closing career left me being dragged from my service bench kicking and screaming and tossed into retirement. Very Happy

'nuff about me... go slow with the Detrola, tackle each obstacle one at a time. Be it known any analog radio is built in stages with generally a common power supply. Each section does its job and passes a conditioned signal on to the next stage.

Chas

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:19 pm

Welcome to TRF, Niles.. WE have several smart people here. I don't know the first thing about math, but, I am a long time technician of tube radios, televisions, record players, and, I collect, and, restore Edison antique phonographs....
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4539
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top