Should I take this on?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Should I take this on?

Post by Ric-amped on Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:12 pm

Hello, just joined today and looking for some advise.
Friend of mine has what appears to be a 1935 Emerson mod 38 radio, U6 . Speaker has a date of 1934 on it. He wants to see if we can get it running.
I have some experience building guitar amplifiers from chassis up, also doing cap jobs on older tube guitar amps. (60s-70s)

Speaker has some tears in it , lots of RCA tubes, and the mice have eaten the cord. I know how to repair guitar speakers that have holes in them but the cone on this speaker seems pretty dried out.
No power or output transformers that I have identified yet, so this is new to me.
Found a schematic and all the vintage tubes on line.
I was going to start with a cap job, cord, and speaker repair and see what happens. Also, been reading as much as I can online about vintage repair to become more familiar with radios. I am at the beginning of this process.

Should I take this on?
Other than killing myself with electricity, what should I look out for ?
Are there parts I will not be able to get?

Not afraid to read and learn on my own or do the work so to speak , semi retired at this point in my life.
Your thoughts?

Ric-amped

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2017-10-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Should I take this on?

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:34 pm

Here is a link to the schematic for your radio.  You are correct in that it has no power transformer.  This is an AC/DC radio  and beware as one side of the A/C line is tied to the chassis.  Great opportunity to get a real shock.  Use of an isolation transformer on the A/C line will remove the chance for an unpleasant surprise.
There is a choke transformer in the power supply, see schematic and the speaker uses a "field coil" built into it to generate the magnetic field need for the speaker to work.  Take it easy with the cone and repairs should be fine.  
It is a good idea to check the speaker field coil and voice coil for continuity prior to starting on the project.  Bad coils on the speaker means pretty much trying to find another which is pretty much difficult
Have fun,  Jerry
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel/587/M0004587.pdf

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by jukeboxman on Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:02 am

Welcome to TRF

jukeboxman
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2011-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ric-amped on Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:53 am

Thank you for the information and the link jerry.
I am going to start by checking the speaker and field coil, put a parts list together, order parts and make a radio stand so I can work on the chassis inverted.
And start reading,reading reading !!!! Lots of parts in here I would like to understand better.
Guess I am all in on this project and looking forward to the adventure , will have lots of questions in the near future.

Also, thank you for the welcome jukeboxman.
After I get this radio done , I have an Edison and RCA , 6V6 powered record player to get going. No radio.
Lots of time to work on these projects in my Wisconsin winters.

Ric-amped

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2017-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum