Sansui SV-R9000 4-Head HI-FI VCR Having issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sansui SV-R9000 4-Head HI-FI VCR Having issues

Post by CaptainClock on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:32 pm

Hello Everyone today I picked up at work today a mid 1980s vintage Sansui SV-R9000 4-Head Hi-Fi VCR that I was hoping to use as a spare, in case my old JVC 4-Head Hi-Fi VCR goes bad or needs work, and I got it home and I tried it out and rewind barely worked and Fast Forward worked sort of and Play didn't work at all so I went to change out the belts and idler tire and I replaced pretty much every belt and the idler tire on this unit except one belt and the Fast Forward and Rewind Work perfectly again but play doesn't work still and I'm stumped as to why that would be unless the belt that I haven't changed yet has something to do with it, but I kind of doubt it.

Any ideas as to what the issue might be or what I could check besides belts?

CaptainClock

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2017-07-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Sansui SV-R9000 4-Head HI-FI VCR Having issues

Post by CaptainClock on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:49 pm

Well I figured out it was the belts, and I went to MCM Electronics page to try and find the belts I needed for my VCR but since they Merged with Newark they've redone their webpage and their belt section isn't organized by Brand and model number anymore, just by belt size. Any other places that have belts and belt kits that might have the belt kit specifically for my model?
What's interesting is that this VCR is in pretty good shape yet and has its original remote with it yet (when I picked it up at goodwill where I work the original remote was inside the VCR's Loading mechanism) anyways its a pretty nice unit, they also had a nice Panasonic Top-Loading VCR there for sale which I might pick up tomorrow.

CaptainClock

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:48 am

I use to work on them in my shop on the side but its been at least 25 years ago since I did anything to one except for a head cleaning. I would replace that last belt and that may solve the issue. Seems like on some the idler clutch would have to be replaced. IIRC it had a pulley with felt that when the belt turned it would slide into the appropriate reel and spin it. Look at replacing that as well.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainClock on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:48 pm

Well I had ordered new belts all around, and the VCR still doesn't wanna work in play mode, I haven't checked this post out in about a month since I last posted on here and I didn't see your post on here Willy but I guess I could check the idler tire clutch assembly but not sure what that looks like or where that is in reference to the actual idler tire assembly. maybe a picture pointing it out might help.

Also I recently found a 1986 Emerson Model VCS955H Hi-Fi VCR that is an early Hi-Fi VCR as it has a stereo tuner but its of the Veractor style tuner rather than a quartz tuned stereo tuner and the VCR is only 2 head rather than 4 head which from my understanding was rather common on early Hi-Fi VCRs because 4 head VCRs were more expensive to make especially a 4-head Hi-Fi unit so some of the lower end manufacturers wanted to make Hi-fi VCRs that were more affordable so they made them 2-head instead of 4 head like some of the other higher end manufactuerers were like JVC or Zenith, anyways the Emerson I found seems to have an issue with not wanting to play and not wanting to fast forward or rewind either, and I checked the belts (which there was only 2 belts in the entire machine and one was a smaller diameter flat belt that drove the capstan and the other was a smaller diameter square belt that drove the counter, which the capstan belt was dry-rotted and the counter belt was still pliable yet), anyways I replaced the capstan belt and no luck the VCR still wont play, fast forward or rewind, and the funny part is that the VCR doesn't power off when the mechanism faults out.

Any ideas as to what could be going on with this Emerson VCR?

Thanks for your Help,

Levi

CaptainClock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top