AK model 42 antenna transformer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AK model 42 antenna transformer

Post by Steve D on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:00 pm

I am working on an AK model 42 and I have been lucky so far that the coupling coils and interstage transformers are all OK, but I found that the antenna tapped coil was open at the start (bottom) connection. I took the coil apart and tried to connect to the remnants of the start wire but as soon as i touched it crumbled. The coil must have gotten wet as most of the wire is oxidized.

I think I can rewind it but it will be difficult since the wire appears to be 36AWG and the Pi width is very narrow. Does anyone know if there are replacements available or other coils that can be substituted. This coil also connects to the volume control and controls the signal level so it might be specific to these models.

Thanks,

Steve D

Steve D

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-05-26

Back to top Go down

Re: AK model 42 antenna transformer

Post by Chas on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:58 pm

The inductance of the coil has to track with the tuning condenser so anything but  an original will be  difficult to resonate across the tung band.

I no longer have a 42 to look at. The winding is a 1/4" universal wind? Though the universal wind does contribute somewhat to the reduction of self capacitance scramble winding in the small area would work. What is important is the number of turns and the wire size. If the coil from can be mounted in a rotating fixture with a turns counter attached, carefully unwind, the counter will do the work. Add a solvent to loosen any of the black shellac gluing the turns.

Try placing a want ad in the forum for the coil..

Chas
Chas

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve D on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:15 am

Thanks for the fast reply.  I think may have located one of these coils.  If that doesn't pan out I'll attempt to rewind my old one.  I took the old one apart and it has about 150T to the tap and another 400T to the grid connection.  The wire appears to be 36AWG and the pi width appears to be 0.187". With some luck I might be able to  access an old Stevens universal winding machine.

If I do attempt to rewind the coil, I'll post the process.

Steve

Steve D

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top