Dancing on Thin Glass

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dancing on Thin Glass

Post by terrydec on Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:20 am

Finally! The first draft of my book, "Dancing on Thin Glass" is available on my website. It is a chronicle of my life's experiences. It has some juicy parts and some boring parts. I am already at work on the second draft. I just hope it doesn't take another year. Enjoy, and as always, I appreciate feedback.

www.terrydec.com
terrydec

Number of posts : 1054
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Dancing on Thin Glass

Post by Eliot Ness on Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:50 pm

terrydec wrote:....... I appreciate feedback.........
An interesting read Terry.  I always thought you should write a book after reading about some of the random adventures/experiences you've had.

Some suggestions (from a non-writer).  You drop a lot of names like Stephen Stills, Ritchie Heavens, Peter Tork,etc., but you don't put any flesh on them.  What kind of people were they, kind, funny, butt heads....?  I'd like to see you expound on some of the experiences you had with them.  I read Ron Woods book a couple of years ago and it was very cool the way he described his friends (Hendrix,etc...).  

I also got turned off a little by all of the gratuitous sex; I realize a lot of it was a part of your story, but some of it didn't really help.

Shawn seems to get lost somewhere in chapter 49.... he's there in the beginning, but what happens to him after your accident?

You also mention a Carlton Guynasek (a world renowned anthropologist) and the child (that you met) that he put in school.  Unfortunately you don't go into any detail about the boy or how the experiment was doing.  I also could not find any references to Carlton Guynasek.

Finally, from a pure personal perspective was your account of the Kaleidoscope.  I know that one of my favorite bands, Canned Heat, played there and I was hoping for a story or two about them.

But hey, it was an entertaining read and I look forward to checking out some of your other writings when I have time.

Take care,

John
Eliot Ness

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:19 pm

Wow! Thanks. This is the type of feedback I need. I have copied this message to show my editor.

The day that the book was finished, vetted and corrected, and posted, I started work on the second draft. Go figure. This new draft addresses some of these suggestions, including backing off on the sex stuff. I will take all these suggestions into account. Thanks again.
Terry
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:30 pm

Okay-
Yeah, the sex thing has been iffy from the beginning. That's why I didn't get more explicit. I am taking out some that I do consider gratuitous. My editor thinks it makes the manuscript 'titillating'. A good selling point.

It took forever, but I did find a reference to Guynashek. Although that might not be the correct spelling. He was a respected anthropologist in the 4o's and 50's.

Yeah, the new draft goes into much more detail.

I have been taking a break from writing, but I just finished a brand new Larry Digger story As soon as my editor vets the grammar and punctuation I'll post it. Now I can get back to work on the book.

My editor is taking a week in New Your to write. Sure wish I could do that.

Thanks again for the critique. Now I just need that kind of response to the stories. So far everybody just says they are good. Nobody has made any comments about them.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top