Sony TV shutting itself off

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sony TV shutting itself off

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:10 pm

I have a Sony 34" Trinitron WEGA CRT tv, it's from 2005. I've had it probably 2 years now and I've never had any issues with it until this week. It seems to be shutting itself off randomly. Sometimes it will do it once every few hours and sometimes when I go to bed I'll wake up with it off. It may do it daily or sometimes it might not do it for 1-2 days. The odd thing is that when it shuts off, the indicator light will continually flash red until I turn it back on. I'm guessing that is some type of error code, but I'm not sure. I am also guessing that maybe the power supply, either the transformer or capacitors are probably failing, but that is just a guess. Anyone that may be more familiar with these TVs or modern TVs, have any insight? I'm probably going to start looking for an inexpensive LCD or DLP TV to replace it with but with having limited money it's going to be hard.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 663
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Sony TV shutting itself off

Post by Tony V on Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:01 am

On some Sony's the tv will shut itself off if the emission of the CRT has become unbalanced. For example if the green becomes weaker than the red or blue or any combination of the three the crt drive circuit will shut the tv down. The sad part is the tv can still show a normal picture but when the crt drive circuit can no longer correct the unbalanced situation it can and will shut itself down. What this means to you is that you will have to either replace the crt or buy another tv. This might not be the case with your particular Sony but I have heard this situation occur on a bunch of post's in the past and this was the answer that was given. I wish you lived closer as i have a couple spare tv's i could let you have for free as i don't need them.
Tony V

Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:17 am

Thanks for the info. I've never heard of that before but it kinda surprises me since these series of TVs were VERY expensive when they were new. Right now it is still showing a normal picture but I did kinda run it hard last night while watching a movie in HD via the HDMI port as it can't always keep up with the full 1080i signal with a fast moving image. Although it was acting up before then but not as much. This would be my second Sony WEGA TV, which my first one is only a SD one but still working flawlessly, now my living room TV. I still work at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore occasionally and I could possibly get another TV there but when we get in DLP's they price them between 60 and 100.00 which is usually more than I have to spend on a TV.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 663
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top