Local stations on my Grunow 1191

Go down

Local stations on my Grunow 1191

Post by herromc on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:54 am

After a month or so of tinkering with my radio, I finally got it to work (sort of).  When set to receive local stations, all I get in is one station, on a frequency of 620 kHz.  I have an antenna attached, but it doesn't help.  Also, on the SW (foreign broadcast) I can only find one station so far, but it comes in extremely faint, I can hardly hear it.  What I do hear is, what sounds like a boat motor.  Another problem I have is that the On/Off Volume Control emits a lot of crackling when I turn the dial, or just tap it.  The Grunow 1191 has four (4) dials, laid out in a semi circle, and one of them I have no idea what it's for. The first dial (left side) is for
On/Off/Volume - the 2nd one is for ??? (3 Positions) - the 3rd one is for the bands (3 positions) and the 4th is for the dial.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am a total novice.  Thanks!

herromc

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2017-06-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Local stations on my Grunow 1191

Post by CaptainClock on Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:19 pm

The second knob is your tone control, early radios had tone controls that were "preset" to different tone settings, e.g. voice, treble, and bass, the voice setting was for when you were listening to talk radio or something related to that like a news broadcast or what not, so that you wouldn't get oral fatigue from listening to talking for long periods of time, the Bass setting was for music that was kind of treble heavy like like big band music that tended to use lots of brass instruments, and the treble setting was for music that was Bass heavy like some classical music that used lots of percussion or organ music or classical music that used lots of low string orchestra passages.
As for the reception issue, usually radios from this time period liked having wire antennas that were about 100' long attached to them and strung out the window into a nearby tree for best reception if you only have a 2 or 3 foot length of wire dangling down the back of the radio then you're basically going to have a dead radio dial.

I hope this helps.

Levi

CaptainClock

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2017-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post by herromc on Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:34 pm

Sure did help. Thank you. Any idea on the volume knob & the crackling?

herromc

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2017-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainClock on Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:30 pm

Your volume control is crackling because its dirty and needs to be cleaned with some De-Oxit or some other related contact cleaner, the volume control pot should have a small hole at the top of it, you take the straw of your can of contact cleaner and spray inside that hole and then work the pot back and forth briskly for about a minute while the radio is powered off and then power the radio on and you should have a noise free volume control.

CaptainClock

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2017-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down