Internet Alert!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Internet Alert!

Post by terrydec on Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:59 pm

ALERT!!
Watch out for the following:
My computer just seized up and told me that I had to call a number to release it. I did and they started asking for personal information. I said, "How do I know this isn't a scam?" That's when they hung up. There is a cancel option. I cancelled out and everything seems to be working fine.
terrydec

Number of posts : 1052
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Alert!

Post by QualityGuy on Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:37 pm

Yep, had the same thing happen on my home computer and work computer.  But I didn't call because one fellow at the office had already been duped, so I knew what was going on.  But it's quite convincing, if it's the first time you've seen the message.  In my case, the "warning" also had an audio message.

QualityGuy

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-05-08

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:12 pm

Once again this reinforces my disdain for the internet and our dependency on smart phones.  We have committed our entire world to a system that is so fragile a magnet could wipe it out.  A couple of cases in point:
My next door neighbor had a baby about 4 months ago.  She had several hundred photos of him on her phone.  Then she dropped the phone and lost everything.

Someone else told me that they had all of their stuff backed up in the 'cloud.'  I told him that the cloud wasn't magic and he could lose his personal information there as well.

And then we come to the 'Compton effect' and and the probability that a small atom bomb will produce an Electromagnetic pulse, (EMP), if exploded just above the atmosphere.  Sound crazy?
Today North Korea threatened to do that very thing.  Every electronic device within line of sight, will fry.

I personally think computers are the worst thing that ever happened.  And smart phones are worse.  We have become slaves to our slaves.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:01 pm

Well, there is always a couple of soup cans and string Very Happy.

Vacuum tube circuits for all but a direct "hit" are immune to pulse. Government uses hardened circuits. My neighbor works for a local company that makes hardened circuits used in satellites.

Still can't figure out what folks are doing with a cell or cameras in the bathroom Shocked Put a AA5 in there, one gets reminded quick, water and electricity don't mix...

If one doesn't plan for the worst, it will. Charlie's corollary...
Chas

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:23 pm

My two suggestions if it all falls apart:
Buy a horse.
Hoard toilet paper.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Walker on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:38 am

I have been told the Albert Einstein once said
''If technology keeps going the way it is , we will have nothing but a bunch of blithering idiots.
I believe we are getting very close to that right now.
I personally don't have a cellular phone and I find that people can still contact me and I don't have a bunch of followers.

Dan in Calgary

Dan Walker

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2015-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:22 pm

I have a flip phone that is tied to my food stamps. It is a phone, period. I can barely text with it. They sent me a smart phone and I tried to send it back. I was told to keep it as a backup. It is still in my desk drawer. I don't need to watch movies, or get email. on my phone.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:39 pm

In the year 2525...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQB2-Kmiic

This video is more appropriate...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKQfxi8V5FA

Metropolis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqlOK05vFLE

I have read that no one knows to this day how Fritz created the special effects in 1927...

Chas
Chas

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top