GE F-96

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GE F-96

Post by jsweinrich on Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:18 am

Friend gave me a GE F-96 radio that is in fair condition. I did notice that someone replaced the first Cow Pasture (electrolytic capacitor) with a modern twist-Lok. I plan to re-cap and replace the two Cow Pastures with the correct cans, re-canned with modern electrolytics. Anybody know where I can get the old style can (contents good or bad)?

jsweinrich

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2017-06-22

Back to top Go down

Re: GE F-96

Post by Paulieb880G on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:53 am

I am not familiar with the term "Cow Pasture" when referring to caps. Care to enlighten me?

Paulieb880G

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2017-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by jsweinrich on Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:30 pm

Cow Pasture is a term a fellow co-worker called large capacitors presumably because they require larger real estate on the circuit board.

Here is the type of can I'm looking for:

Bottom of can on the left:

jsweinrich

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:39 pm

I think you'll need a schematic. I don't see what the capacitance value is. This can is no longer built. Disconnect then, and, use new electrolytics under the chassis. Just don't drape them in mid air, a terminal strip often helps. Looks like a nice set.
Oh, yes. WElCOME to TRF.
Bill

Last edited by Bill Cahill on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4548
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by jsweinrich on Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:20 am

Bill, what I normally do for the electrolytics is to re-can them, which is to grind the bottom lip off, chuck the guts, stuff with modern electrolytics, and reseal the base back on with epoxy. Makes the chassis look original. I have a schematic, the two big cans are 16 uF and 30 uF. Just need a can to stuff and install.

jsweinrich

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:30 am

The electrolytic cans are getting rare. I have no problem with what you are doing. Manny people do, and, do an excellent job, which I'm sure you've been doing it awhile. May we see pictures? Manny thanks.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jsweinrich on Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:18 am

Put this in the wrong thread... Here is a link to another radio project I did showing the electrolytic re-can:

studeradiorescueac-2905 dot blogspot dot com

jsweinrich

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainClock on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:36 am

Bill, just so you know over at Antique Electronic Supply (AES) they do have reproduction metal can capacitors made by CE Manufacturing Co. using old Mallory Tooling and machinery so they are made to the exact specifications as the original Mallory Can caps that were made 50+years ago, and they have just about every conceivable value combination but expect to pay a premium for them as they are about $35-$40 a pop. They also carry reproduction "firecracker" capacitors of the most common values used in most AA5/6 radios. Just thought I'd let you know.

CaptainClock

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2017-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post by jsweinrich on Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:10 am

I have already recanned the power filter caps. I was lucky to find old cans on ebay. Because the original caps were sealed on the top (to keep fluids inside) I ended up grinding the base off and reusing it. When mounted one does not see the epoxy attaching the base to the can on either the top or bottom of the chassis (not that I care about the bottom).

jsweinrich

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainClock on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:04 pm

I actually have a GE Model L-640 that is from about the same time period as your GE is but its missing lots of parts and is in really rough condition but I would love to try and restore it after I get my Fada Model 176 going which the Fada even though its all there has had the power supply altered a bit and because of that its going to be tricky trying to reverse the previous power supply repair work that was done to the Fada because it wasn't done properly.

CaptainClock

Back to top Go down

Post by jsweinrich on Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:47 pm

Yep, a tad newer ('41-'42). It has the renowned 6V6 for audio output. Hope you can find all the parts you need. Do you have a schematic?

jsweinrich

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainClock on Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 pm

jsweinrich wrote:Yep, a tad newer ('41-'42). It has the renowned 6V6 for audio output. Hope you can find all the parts you need. Do you have a schematic?

I did look up the schematics for it but they were kind of tricky to read because they were from Riders and the Riders schematics aren't known for being well drawn or very clearly labeled especially the early ones, and I tried looking in Sam's and it was apparently before Sam's started making their Photofact folders (they started making their photofact folders in 1946 of which I have some of the very early Sam's Folders in my collection but none of them cover the pre-war radios just post-war radios.)

CaptainClock

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:23 pm

Actually, Sams was still making schematics as late as 1999, at least. But, all their schematics are now very expensive. The sets are good, even with the mistakes they were making.
Bill Cahill and, Welcome to TRF.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainClock on Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:35 pm

I know, I had to buy a Sam's Photofact for a radio I restored a while back and it was rather pricey at about $22.50 for just one folder.

CaptainClock

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum