Restuffing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Restuffing

Post by herromc on Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:06 pm

Being a newbie at all this, I'm going to try to stuff a can capacitor for the first time, but I have questions.  Check photos.  Can this be restuffed, and if so, where would I cut the can.  I saw a youtube video where the person installed a piece of pvc inside the tube, with the capacitor inside the pcv.  Is that acceptable?  Safe?  One more question, when restuffing, can I use either Axial or Radial caps?  Thanks!

herromc

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2017-06-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Restuffing

Post by Paulieb880G on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:51 am

You can cut the can radially about half way down or a little better. Pull the old guts out and replace with radial caps. Those are easiest to work with. I like using the tube from a roll of toilet paper as insulation and to stabilize the radials in the can. Put the can back together and use that chrome HVAC tape to glom it back together. The repair should be nearly undetectable if you do it neatly. Keep the connections on the bottom of the can intact to connect the new caps to. Piece of cake after you've done it once. Perfectly safe and acceptable.

Paulieb880G

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2017-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Chas on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:51 pm

Find a tie strip and fasten under chassis, install replacement caps there. cut leads of at the GL can and leave in place as decoration. Consider when the new caps fail the labor to stuff again....

See page 12: http://www.technicalaudio.com/pdf/Electronics_Catalog_Extracts/Aerovox_capacitors_1960_REM_24.pdf

Alternate, go to Hayseed Hamfest and get a suitable twist-lok cap. Punch chassis and install to replace GL...

https://hayseedhamfest.com/

I once ordered new GL's for my Hammarlund receiver. From the distributor in New Bedford, made just two miles away. They still work after 45 years. The plant has been torn down, brown field, soil removed to below water level and filled, saturated with PCB's. I used to work at the Nonquit Mill next door to the Aerovox, in the last years, Aerovox provided steam for the Nonquit...

GL that is Good Luck!

Chas
Chas

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top