TrueTone Color Roundie found!

Go down

TrueTone Color Roundie found!

Post by Tony V on Sun May 17, 2009 7:20 pm

I was browsing through the local CL listings last night and found a Truetone roundie up for grabs. It's probably a CTC-16 clone but appears to be in good shape. I contacted the owner today and got it. Best part about it was that it was free!
-Tony
Tony V

Number of posts : 663
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Re: TrueTone Color Roundie found!

Post by Tony V on Sun May 17, 2009 7:24 pm

I picked up the Truetone today and got it home. A quick check looks like everything overall is in good shape. The model number is 2DC1667D and of course it was made for Western Auto. I couldnt find any chassis numbers stamped on it. It had notes inside where it was re-tubed in '86 and it also has a replacement GE crt that tests almost new.

It does have the beginnings of cataracts starting on the outer 1/4 of an inch so its more likely to be a RCA tube than Zenith. It is a RCA clone but possibly may be earlier as its more similar to a CTC12 than a CTC16 as it has the CTC12 style flyback set up instead of the CTC16 version. It has factory UHF so its at least a '63 model. It doesnt have a nuvistor installed and it has an automatic deguasser. One thing i've never seen on a color roundie is that it has a push pull instant on switch installed on the rear of the chassis with tone control integral with it. One of the filter lytics must have went bad at some point as theres and extra one strapped to the outside of one of the originals. That will be corrected when i do the recap.

I did a slow power up with variac and it produced a raster but with a hum bar of course. It has video and its picking up the channels so the audio and video sections work fine. So, its got a good flyback, power transformer, crt and new tubes so needless to say it was worth chasing down. Another thing i've never seen before is it has white drop caps instead of orange or brown drops. I hope this isnt a bad thing.
-Tony
Tony V

Back to top Go down

Post by Timaaay! on Mon May 18, 2009 2:13 am

Great deal Tony! Ya' cant beat free. I don't recall seeing white caps either. I'd love to see a pic.
Timaaay!

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Mon May 18, 2009 2:48 am

I tried to post pics on here earlier and i'm not good at the picture host from outside source thing. I do have the pictures posted in the tv section of ARF and the early color tv section on Audiokarma if anyone wants to check them out.
Tony V

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon May 18, 2009 12:21 pm

Photobucket should be a cinch on pictures. I use it all the time.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4594
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down