Capacitors???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Capacitors???

Post by herromc on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:19 pm

I noticed that there are different types of capacitors being sold, which confuses me. What is the best type to replace all of my uf's? Are Axials okay? Also, what would be a decent soldering gun/station to use?
Thanking you in advance>

Mike

herromc

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2017-06-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Capacitors???

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:24 am

AXial is usually best. I like the old Unique Weller soldering guns. The newer garbage ones come from China.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bartley on Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:00 am

herromc wrote:I noticed that there are different types of capacitors being sold, which confuses me.  What is the best type to replace all of my uf's?  Are Axials okay?  Also, what would be a decent soldering gun/station to use?
Thanking you in advance>

Mike

Whether you use axial or radial capacitors will depend on the location and how easy it is to wire them in. As far as performance goes, it makes no difference ... they work the same.

I use a Hakko soldering pencil with variable heat. I've had it about 15 years and it's been a good performer. I also keep an Weller gun on hand for jobs that require more heat.

John Bartley

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2013-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulieb880G on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:57 am

Having a supply of both radial and axial is a good idea. There are times when one type fits better in the available space. I use a Weller soldering iron that was my dad's, maybe my granddad's. At least 60 years old. Probably something like 60 watts. I'm too clumsy to use a soldering gun in a radio. I'd burn up more than I fixed with one of those.

Paulieb880G

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2017-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:14 pm

You are headed the right way. Tools such as pointed pliers, nut drivers, sets of screwdrivers, mini screwdrivers for knob screws are a good thing to have. With practice, you can go to a higher wattage for tougher jobs.
Hope this helps.
Bill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top