Grunow 11g chassis

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Grunow 11g chassis

Post by herromc on Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:51 pm

Attached are a parts schematic & some photos showing 3 burnt wires, and Iím hoping someone might be able to tell me what may have caused it. †One of my tubes, the 6A8 (1st Det Ė Osc.) has a connection on the top of the tube (donít know the proper name), but anyway, that nub? Is loose. †I can move it back & forth, but the inside connection is intact. †Could that tube have caused a short and fried the wires? Thanks for any help.
Mike

herromc

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2017-06-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Grunow 11g chassis

Post by Tony V on Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:44 pm

Hi Mike and welcome to TRF! A tube could have caused a short but since your still running the radio on its original capacitors, one of those could have shorted also causing the melted wires. My suggestion would be for you to replace the capacitors (both paper and filter) and replace the melted wires then see what you † have.
Tony V

Number of posts : 620
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulieb880G on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:46 pm

I just redid one of those as my first radio repair. My grand daughter has it now and is having a ball playing her little contraption through it. That loose cap on the 6A8 is the grid cap. I have a loose cap like that on mine. As long as the wire that goes from the cap to the inside of the tube is still intact, the tube will work okay. I would not worry about it, just be real careful if you have to disconnect the grid cap. You really should replace all those old paper coupling capacitors before you try to troubleshoot the radio.

Paulieb880G

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2017-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:05 pm

Hi, and, welcome to TRF.
I AGREE that you need to replace all paper caps, electrolitycs and, melted wires. With all that, I wonder whether, or, not, your power transformer has been damaged.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4538
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_ed01 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:24 pm

Those wires appear to have deteriorated rubber insulation. Someone tried to repair the rubber insulation with tape. The rubber insulation can still be seen on 2 of the wires in the second image. All 3 of those wires connect to the tuning cap.

mr_ed01

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2012-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top