Just joined, from Cypress Texas

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Just joined, from Cypress Texas

Post by cncfan on Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:16 pm

Hi
Name is George and found this forum by way of a google search.
After watching many many videos on youtube about tube radios and getting
them back in shape to play, I thought I would give it a try. About 2-3 months ago I started picking
up some radios and test equipment.

So far I have a Echophone EC-1, hellicrafters S-38A and SX-28. Also a
Emerson DC308 battery radio. All need caps and most likely some resistors.

I just picked up a EMC801 RCCB tester and a Realistic model 108 tube tester. Just got the 801 today
so have not checked it out yet. The tube tester I have had for about a month and not sure if it is going
to work for me or not. I checked all the voltages from the transformer at the point they connect to the selection
switch. Just about all points tests are about 1 volt low or less except the one that should be 110 reads 102.6v.
Question on this is: Would all this be within limits that would give me a valid reading assuming all the few caps and resistors
that is has check out good. It was listed by the seller as " repaired/tested" not sure what he repaired as nothing
looks like it was replaced or fixed.

Plan on playing with the EC-1 and DC308 first to see how it goes. After searching
the internet I have all the documentation I think I need. The SX-28 I picked up local will
have to wait as after giving it a once over it looks like I will need a little (lot more) more experience
to tackle it.

Have a few questions on what other type of equipment I would need or would be nice to have.
On a fixed budget so I have so far been looking at the older tube equipment on ebay. Also like
the idea that what I have so far has tubes. (have no idea why, but some reason tube radios/test gear appeal to
me more that other types)

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated. No electronic experience other than putting together
Heathkits many years ago. I have managed to pick up two things about playing with anything that is plugged into an outlet.
1. 110 give a slight tingle
2. 220 feels like someone wacked you in the chest with a baseball bat.
3. You remember both.

cncfan

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2017-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Just joined, from Cypress Texas

Post by Tony V on Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:09 am

Welcome to TRF! We are a slow paced group but the members are friendly and most have alot of experience under their belt. Just be patient and they will get to you shortly. It's nice to have you here!
Tony V

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by jukeboxman on Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:14 am

Welcome to TRF ! hope you enjoy it here.

jukeboxman
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2011-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Davis on Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:07 am

Hi George. As it turns out I live in/near Cypress too. Welcome to the forum!
Greg Davis

Number of posts : 273
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bartley on Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:32 am

Welcome George!

John Bartley

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2013-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:43 am

Welcome to the forum. As far as what you need to test my suggestions are as follows. A good isolation transformer that will help isolate you from the voltages. Also a good variable power supply for the 120. IF you can find one Sencore use to make a really nice piece that had both built in, it was a pr57 and the newer one pr570. You may also want to consider a dim bulb tester as its called. There are diagrams on the web and its easy to make.

The next two pieces that once you learn how to use really makes it easier to fix these things. A signal tracer and a signal generator. I do almost all my repairs using these two pieces. I rarely use a scope as these two can do what I need. A good meter of some type and if you can find a decent capacitor checker they come in handy as well. Sencore has one that checks both caps and inductors. I have that and use it to check new caps. I almost always replace all the wax and electrolytic caps. Then a tube tester as I believe you said you had. That will get you started and working on them. Also save anything you find on the web like downloadable books.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1429
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Spivey on Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:07 pm

Welcome to the forum. New members always welcome. When working with old radios or any electronic gear, put safety first. To much can go wrong to quickly at times. Enjoy the hobby but think about what your doing. There is never a problem with asking questions, when your not sure.

Spivey

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by cncfan on Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:02 am

Want to thank everyone for the welcome.

Will sure to have questions in the future once I get a bench set up. Have a few now but
want to look over a lot of the site to see if I can find answers to most of them. By the looks of this site I will find the answer.

John, Small world sometimes on the internet. I live off HW6 .5 miles up Longenbaugh.

cncfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:40 pm

Welcome to the forum.
I have some knowledge of one of the Heathkit radio.
I know their power supplies, and, they have one side of the power line on the chassis. Dangerous.
They used selenium rectifiers, which are subject to break down.
You guys are welcome here. As said, answers are slow at coming, but, these guys know what they are doing, though you might not need a scope. That's up to individual taste.
Bill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4615
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by cncfan on Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:38 am

Tks for the info Bill. Will remember it.

cncfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top