why doesn't the stuff with good prices ever be close?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

why doesn't the stuff with good prices ever be close?

Post by willy3486 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:18 am

Am I the only one this happens to? If you see an item that is no shipping close to you then it is way more than you want to pay. But if something is reasonable the item is too far to go after. I found another one like this again. I have this same model I want to restore. I need a few parts and this one has them in what looks to be in good shape. But alas its to far to get. I would give this for one but its too far to get. Oh well,the quest for parts goes on.
Seco tube tester

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: why doesn't the stuff with good prices ever be close?

Post by John Bartley on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:33 pm

Yes, there's an antique club on the west coast that's having a cleanout sale. They're offering an RCA WR50 generator for I think $5. No shipping .... bummer!.... oh well, that's just life Smile

John Bartley

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2013-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:14 pm

Seriously though the main reason I like this hobby is fixing them. The next reason is the hunt. I have had a case for over 30 years I have recently found a chassis I think will work. I also have another one a fellow I thought a lot of gave to me around 30 years ago as well. He has passed away now but I recently bought a chassis and speaker to go into it as the original ones were too far gone from being in a barn for many years. I have a zenith bakelite case given to me a few years ago that I bought a chassis from someone in CT and the knobs at the Nashville meet. It is a pain at times not finding the stuff but is exciting when you finally find them and get the item going. Sooner or later I will find a seco I can afford and its local . I just have to hunt it down, even if it takes years.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bartley on Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:24 pm

willy3486 wrote:Seriously though the main reason I like this hobby is fixing them.

snipped ....

It is a pain at times not finding the stuff but is exciting when you finally find them and get the item going.

Yup, I agree and it's often finding the smallest cheapest part that's the most fun .... and the most difficult!!! I'm still carrying around a Marconi table top set that some day .... one day ... hopefully ... I will find a dial glass for Smile

cheers eh?

John Bartley

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2013-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:33 pm

One of the things I would like to do since we got the land is to set up a radio junkyard. I have my original 30x52 workshop that is mostly filled with my tools and radios/radio parts. I am hoping to get a lot of junk radios and double the size of my junk radio area. What I want to do is if someone needs for example a dial glass for a marconi and I had it I could send it to them for the cost of shipping and a donation of a junk chassis/parts they don't need. That way I can set up a storage area to save this stuff for restorers that may not have the room to store stuff.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top