New guy from Indiana

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New guy from Indiana

Post by Paulieb880G on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:38 pm

I am an old guy who has inherited a radio from a cousin who recently passed. All I know about it is that it does not work. It is a floor model. I remember him listening to Cubs games on it. I would like to see if I could get it running again. I don't know anything whatsoever about radios, but a Google search turned up this forum. And it's free, so here I am.

I am a retired farmer. The kids still farm the farm I was born on. I am too old to chase the girls so I need something to occupy my time. I was a fair wrench in my day, so I bet I could learn and probably have most of the tools I might need. Electronic testers and that might be another story. I assume, for a price, I can get what I need. Hopefully you guys can set me onto the right track. My friends call me Paulie, and it's mighty nice to make your acquaintance.

Paulieb880G

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2017-02-22

Back to top Go down

Re: New guy from Indiana

Post by lhlyda on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:45 pm

Hi Paulie,

Welcome to the forum. Lots of advice and knowledge on here.

I suggest to start with, post the brand and model on here and see who has info on the radio.

Also, go to  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And look under resources and get a schematic for it. Its free!

Welcome aboard and if I can help, let me know.

Larry
lhlyda

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2017-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulieb880G on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:54 pm

The tuning dial says "Grunow All Wave". It has a big round dial with four knobs under the dial. The cloth on the front is ragged and it looks like that covers the speaker maybe. The cord looks like it is about 90 years old. I don't think I want to plug it in until repairs are made. I can see bare wire on the cord. Thanks for the reply, Larry.

Paulieb880G

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:59 pm

Welcome to TRF. We'll be glad to help. Like he said, we need to know the make, and, model number.
There a number of basics you need to know to restore properly.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4615
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:06 pm

Paulieb880G wrote:The tuning dial says "Grunow All Wave".  It has a big round dial with four knobs under the dial.  The cloth on the front is ragged and it looks like that covers the speaker maybe.  The cord looks like it is about 90 years old.  I don't think I want to plug it in until repairs are made.  I can see bare wire on the cord.  Thanks for the reply, Larry.
That's a good idea. The capacitors would be shorted out, and, rubber wiring would most likely be bare, and, shorted.
Is the paper cone on the speaker still good?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CrystalRadioMan on Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:06 am

Hi Paulie,
I'm fairly new too but I'm not new to radio.

I'm sure you don't have a variac (maybe I'm wrong) but you can make a "dim bulb tester" to get started with your repairs.......right after you replace that power cord!
You can google search "dim bulb tester" and get the plans, every thing you need will be at a place like Lowes.
CrystalRadioMan

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2017-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:03 pm

Yes, but, I have a fealing the radio has a lot of bare wires from rubber rot.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulieb880G on Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:26 pm

"Dim bulb tester?" That ain't nothing like a snipe hunt is it? I've been called a dim bulb before, but had no idea a tester was named after me. lol

I have cleaned the cob webs and dirt off as best I can without disturbing anything. I don't see any names or numbers. I don't know what I'm looking for, probably. The metal base that holds the electronic part has ten tubes, as best as I can count. There is something else that is attached to the cabinet above the dial. It looks like a tube (?). It looks like it will unplug so I can get the metal base out. How do I get the knobs off? Those things are real happy where they are. There appears to be holds in the knobs, but I can't see anything like a bolt holding them on. Any ideas? After the knobs are off (Vise Grips and a chisel maybe?) I think I can get the metal base out. Can I replace the cord without knowing what I'm working on? Will any old cord work, or does it take something special? If it does, where can I get a new cord? I have the grand daughter on the Internet looking for stuff, but she does not know what she is looking for or what it's called if she found it. This may prove to be more of a pain that timing the knotters on a New Holland hay baler, my least favorite task of all time.

Paulieb880G

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulieb880G on Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:38 pm

I do not own a variac. Sorry.

The kids took some pictures for me, but they can't get them to post on here. Maybe I'm too new or need to know the secret password or whatever. What are we doing wrong? This project may not be successful without sharing pictures and getting some ideas from you all.

The only part I can identify on this radio besides the cord is the transformer. The welder has one of those. There is a can beside the transformer that is about an inch around and two or three inches tall. Held on to the base with a clamp. Is this the "capacitor that may have shorted?" that you spoke about. Thanks for your help, guys, and pardon my ignorance. This is plowing new ground for me.

Paulieb880G

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:37 am

First of all, the part that holds the tubes is called a chassis.
The part mounted on the chassis that has the dial cord is called the tuner, or the tuning capacitor.
Don't attempt to take that apart. It's mounted on the chassis.
The chassis is mounted to the cabinet with screws.
The speaker would be mounted to the cabinet with nuts, or, screws,

all the knobs have to come off... Sometimes, they are held on the shafts with set screws....
You can see it from the sides. The wires going to the chassis , and going to the speaker are sometimes plugged into the chassis .
This should be obvious.
The speaker is sometimes connected by what is called sometimes called hard wired. Pictures would help.

The problem with sometimes being able to copy them into the computer, and sometimes not being able is being worked on. My computer is also not able to upload pictures This happened when the owners put in a new server.
I hope this helps. It appears to me that some adjustments need to be done by the 0wners. They live in France.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lhlyda on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:16 am

Paulie,

I think the thing attached above the dial may be a tuning eye tube. It is a neat feature that glows green and closes the "eye" when the radio is tuned.

Larry

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by lhlyda on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Picture)
lhlyda

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2017-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top