Hi, guys

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi, guys

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:54 pm

I have been taking some time off for 90 days or so. I have received emails from many of you. I appreciate that. I see my avatar is gone, I'm not a Moderator anymore and apparently 75 and MEZ have fallen off the face of the earth. I'll try to see what is going on, if this does not get deleted before that happens.

To those who have emailed and expressed concern, thanks. I'm fine, just busy. My Mini got run over by a garbage truck parked in front of my house and has been in the body shop for six weeks, and it's still there. I have been busy with car shows and have taken on more responsibility at work, although I am technically retired. I enjoy my little parttime gig and am willing to help anyway I can. They have been good to me and deserve my loyalty. I have not been spending as much time on the Internet these last few months and find I can live without it. Quite possibly there are some hard feelings that need to be investigated and rectified. I am winding down my electronics hobby. I am not buying anything new, with the exception of a Stereo Theater if I find one. I am sending about 20,000 tubes, miscellaneous electronics like tape recorders and record players, and maybe 50 radios to the landfill. I just don't want to mess with that stuff anymore. I am going to concentrate on Magnavox and my cars. I am downsizing big time. No, nothing is for sale. I've decided to keep what I want, give away what I can, and send the rest to the landfill. I've tried selling some of the stuff, but have found it more trouble than it is worth. The old radio hobby has been inundated by snoots and money like the old tractor and old car hobbies have. I'm done. I will help others with their projects if I can and that will be that. I took the time off to figure out what I wanted to do. I'm sorry if you guys believe that to be extreme, but we each have to clean up our own mess. Our home is for sale and I don't want to have to move and/or store all that stuff.

There is a new member from West Virginia (I think?) emailed me about working on a Magnavox stereo. I'll be thrilled to help you anyway I can. Hopefully we can get to know each other better and can get that old Magnavox singing again! There are a couple others to whom I owe a response, and I'll tend to that directly. I appreciate their patience.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 6138
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi, guys

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:53 am

WC, I have missed you as many have. Thanks for letting us know what your up to. I too have got out of the radio stuff but enjoy reading here and helping when I can. Yes, downsized and gave most everything away. Nothing went in the landfill. Sorry about the mini and the VW of ours is going back to VW at the end of the month. Payoff was enough to buy a new Prius V wagon. Mixed feelings but it is comfortable.
Best, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 762
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by CrystalRadioMan on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:28 am

Glad to connect with you VIA email Wildcat, and thanks for the initial help. I will continue with our emails on the Magnavox if that is OK with you.

CrystalRadioMan

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2017-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:39 am

Greg,

Sent you a PM

Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:49 pm

Jerry and Doc, good to hear from you guys again. I'll send you an email when I get around to it.

CrystalRadioMan, that will be great. I have a library of service information and we can get what we many need elsewhere. Parts and expertise exist that will help get your Magnavox instrument up and running until your grandkids are our age. You are getting lots of experience that will stand you in good stead when you get another half-dozen instruments or so. They become addictive! Very Happy

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:33 pm

Nice to have you back WC! I understand about having to clean house. Too many project's and so little time. When they start to take over it's time to thin the herd. I'm in the process of doing that myself. I did win a Magnavox color roundie theater combo off of Ebay last week. It will be my last major purchase for a long time. I will post pictures and more details of the theater once i get it here and installed and would appreciate your input about it.

I'm sorry to hear about your Mini and hope they are able to fix it as good as new. Hope to hear more from you and welcome back!

Tony

Tony V

Number of posts : 617
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:23 pm

Welcome back. I'd be interested in the record players.
Sorry to hear about your mini van. Hope it comes out well.
You are always welcome to post any time, and, you innow where you can find me if you need help..
Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 5381
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:04 pm

I have a Mini Cooper, not a mini van. But thanks for the kind words.

We'll see how this goes. A day at a time.......

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bartley on Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:08 pm

Wildcat445 wrote:I have a Mini Cooper,

I seem to remember that you bought this only recently .... maybe a year or two ago? That's a real bummer!

John Bartley

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2013-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:07 pm

Yes WC, our VW was hit two months ago while parked in a parking lot by some poor soul who had been at the dialis (sp?) clinic next to the sewing store and was in no shape to drive. We did get it back in time to sell it back. The bill was 13K and he hit 3 other cars but not nearly as bad.
I don't miss working on radios but maybe one more Scott 800B.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 762
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:22 pm

Mine will be close to $10,000 in damage by the time they are done. The garbage truck struck my Mini under the right headlamp. It was parked in Park with the parking brake set, yet the force of the collision pushed the car almost 30 feet from where it was setting, up on the sidewalk. The put it on their laser "frame" bench, twice, which revealed nothing major was damaged, such as a strut tower or the front sub-frame. Had either of these area been damaged, they would have totalled my car. Besides the typical sheet metal that was messed up, it flat-spotted all four tires. These were $2500, the headlamp was LED and it was $2500 plus the rest of the work and painting. They had to order the VIN and emissions stickers from across the pond. I'm not sure how many used parts they used, but my guess is not many. The shop doing the work does European cars only and have an excellent reputation and were highly recommended. They work with my Mini dealer as well. They promised that I could have this checked however I'd like after I got it back, but that nobody would be able to tell it had ever been damaged. They have had it almost six weeks. I'm hoping for a satisfactory outcome. It only has a little over 12,000 miles on it.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by CrystalRadioMan on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:27 pm

Wildcat445 I've sent you an email about the Magnavox....Thanks.

CrystalRadioMan

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2017-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:55 pm

Got it. I'll get some information together and we'll talk again. I don't see anything about this project that should not be fairly basic and easy for me to talk you thru if need be. Good luck.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:16 am

Wildcat445 wrote:I am sending about 20,000 tubes, miscellaneous electronics like tape recorders and record players,  and maybe 50 radios to the landfill.   

That brought a tear to my eye. Seriously though I wish I was close to you I would give all you want gone a new home. We just got through buying some land from my mother in laws estate and there is a decent size barn on it. One of the things I want to fo is to find stuff like this and give it a home. Then if other restorers need parts they can have them. I lets the parts go at cost. Glad to see you back, I enjoyed your posts here. I left as well but came back. We have been really busy with my wofes mothers estate. You really see what people are like when inheritance is involved. Anyway keep up the posts.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1411
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top