Mitchel (Lullaby) Model 1250 Bedside radio

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mitchel (Lullaby) Model 1250 Bedside radio

Post by terrydec on Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:09 pm

I bought this radio because it was cheap and looked like a fun project.  The radio worked but was distorted.  This was when my signal tracer went out.  I couldn't figure out the problem.  I bought an original Photofact folder from eBay.  Everything tested good, but it was very distorted.  Finally, I found it.  It was the speaker itself. Duh!!

Meanwhile I'm telling my friend about this cool radio with a builtin light and how I'm trying to restore it for resale.  He buys it sight unseen.  Here is the real point of this thread...

NEVER...EVER..sell an item before it is completely fixed.  Just about everything that can go wrong has.  I found two serious cracks in the case, which is actually Bakelite.  I was able to fix one with JB Weld.  I finally found some plastic for the light cover but it stresses the other crack.  I had to get an expensive LED Lamp to run cold underneath the cover.  Last night, when I tested the bulb, I found the switch is bad.  Fortunately my local hardware store had an exact replacement.  I've set it aside to figure out how to stabilize the second crack. It's actually a lot of fun, except for the stress part.

terrydec

Number of posts : 1048
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Mitchel (Lullaby) Model 1250 Bedside radio

Post by Dan Walker on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:08 pm

I have had a couple of those radios and they are quite neat looking,
and they play quite good.

They do come up on Ebay every once and a while.
Dan in Calgary

Dan Walker

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2015-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:40 pm

I have a white one of these. Mine still has the headboard brackets. These used a 25w long bulb in them originally. People made the mistake of replacing the bulb with the more common 40w bulb which would melt the plastic cover. I've seen people put 60w lamp bulbs in these also and needless to say the cover was gone. I agree with Dan that these play pretty good and are pretty sensitive for what they are. I'd buy another one if the price was right.
Tony V

Number of posts : 610
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:36 pm

Tony V wrote:I have a white one of these. Mine still has the headboard brackets. These used a 25w long bulb in them originally. People made the mistake of replacing the bulb with the more common 40w bulb which would melt the plastic cover. I've seen people put 60w lamp bulbs in these also and needless to say the cover was gone. I agree with Dan that these play pretty good and are pretty sensitive for what they are. I'd buy another one if the price was right.

I think the white is the 1251. This one has the brackets too. You can see it in the photo.
It had the original 25 watt bulb. I couldn't leave it in because it would melt my thinner plastic cover. My friend said he wanted a bright light. Since I was going with LED I went for the 40 watt. These bulbs are amazing, but not cheap. It runs so cold you can hold it in your hand but looks just like a filament bulb. However, with shipping it was $20.

It's a a good thing I really like my friend.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:35 am

Terry, I'm interested in the bulb you used in your Lullaby radio. Can you give me more details about it? I would use mine more but dont because i'm afraid of the heat damage from the bulb. This sounds like a good solution.
Tony V

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:36 pm

Tony V wrote:Terry, I'm interested in the bulb you used in your Lullaby radio. Can you give me more details about it? I would use mine more but dont because i'm afraid of the heat damage from the bulb. This sounds like a good solution.

I got mine from '1,000 bulbs'. Check it out and let me know.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:02 am

The crack is fixed and the lamp cover is in place.  Can't you feel the tension rising?

(BTW-The bulb is not in yet. That is just reflection. The cover is slightly opaque).

terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:02 pm

It, (almost), never ends.  I had to replace a bunch of stuff, including the speaker.  When I finally attempted to put it together the speaker wouldn't fit, and I threw a fit.  I finally cannibalized another radio to get a speaker.  Finally it all came together.  It is assembled and ready to ship.  Here--

terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:03 pm

Another view-

terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:09 pm

Nice job Terry!
Tony V

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:23 pm

Tony V wrote:Nice job Terry!

Thanks...Whew!
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:04 pm

Last words:
So, my friend got the radio and he calls me to tell me the light isn't working. My heart sank into my stomach, which sank to the ground. I had replaced the switch and in my mind's eye I could see a solder connection failing. I mentioned that the bulb might have come loose. He pulled the cover off and tightened it.

"I got light!"

Geez! Is it never going to end?
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top