GE Portable record player - end of record tonearm issue

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GE Portable record player - end of record tonearm issue

Post by PhonoBrit on Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:31 pm

Working on an early 70's GE portable player (not a Wildcat but similar). Got everything working with the exception of one thing. At the end of the record, the tonearm swings back onto the record (scratching it in the process) and then proceeds to lift up and return to the correct tonearm rest spot. Any ideas?

PhonoBrit

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Re: GE Portable record player - end of record tonearm issue

Post by John Bartley on Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:43 pm

PhonoBrit wrote:Working on an early 70's GE portable player (not a Wildcat but similar). Got everything working with the exception of one thing. At the end of the record, the tonearm swings back onto the record (scratching it in the process) and then proceeds to lift up and return to the correct tonearm rest spot. Any ideas?

I'm NOT experienced in phonograph mechanisms, but it sounds like a timing issue? There must be a relationship between "lift" and "swing", and I assume that the timing is set by a gear set? Can you pull the turntable out, rotate the platter manually, activate the "return" mechanism and see if the "lift" function is delayed past the point where the "swing" function starts?

John Bartley

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:46 pm

A lot of those changers used white grease, which has a natural problem of gumming up. Sounds like that's the problem. Watch the mechanism to see where the shut off mechanism is.
At any rate , I'm sure the mechanism needs a good cleaning, and, re lubricating...

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4523
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top