rsistor power cord

View previous topic View next topic Go down

rsistor power cord

Post by Sinatra1982 on Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:25 pm

I just purchased a Emud Record Junior 196. The power cord is bad and it is one of those with three wires instead of usual two. I can't remember where but I read about this somewhere that the extra wire is a resistor. I am not sure how to replace this cord and take of the resistance factor, plus I cannot find a schematic. This is I believe a German radio, am-fm. The dial string is broke, so really need a string diagram too.
I got it cheap for $20.00 but wishing now I hadn't bought. I don't even know if I can get the tubes if I need any, they have tube numbers I never heard of before. Any help would be appreciated.

Sinatra1982

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

Re: rsistor power cord

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:48 pm

Your in for a little fun! The radio could be 220V or 110V and could allow changing between the two. Nice to know what it is set for. Chances are that if the cord is a three wire and the plug a two prong you have a resistance cord. You need to add up the filament voltages of each tube, you can look the tube number up to determine that. You add all the numbers up and see what ya get. This apparently is an AC/DC radio with no power transformer? Pictures would help a lot and a listing of tubes. A dropping resistor can be selected to bring the line voltage in line with the tube requirements.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinatra1982 on Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:50 pm

ECC85 ECH81 EBF89 EAA91 ECL82 EZ80 These are the tubes. It is an AC set, 110-120 volts. It has a transformer. I just removed the chassis from the cabinet to trace the power cord wires. Well guess what, the third wire is attached to an internal antenna, I think it is called a ferret antenna. So apparently it is not a resistance cord afterall, wouldn't you agree? The only place I have any information on it is Nostalgiaair. But you have to pay to download their schematics. If I can't find one somewhere else I guess I will bite the bullet and pay. The third wire is disconnected from the plug, can't tell if it stops there or is made into the plug. That doesn't sound right does it, it would need any power for the antenna to work would it? It is a German radio so I don't know if the schematic is in English or not.
I should have left this one alone. Thanks for any more light you can shed on this.

Sinatra1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinatra1982 on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:59 am

Jerry, good news, it was an antenna wire. I plugged it in and it worked fine. However it played loud at first and within a couple of minutes the volume got very low. Any ideas maybe why. It needs a good cleaning, has some dirt dobers nests in it. Only bad problem is I need diagram to restring the dial cord. It has a great sound. It is an AM-FM, however it had foreign countries printed on the dial.
Appreciate your help.

Sinatra1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top