Crap! Not again

Go down

Crap! Not again

Post by terrydec on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:16 pm

This is just a rant so please bear with me.
I have been writing for months and need to take break. I need to use my right brain for awhile. Working on the H-77 was fun but that was the last radio. So I went on eBay and purchased a cute little Mitchel 1250 'Lullaby' radio. "Parts or repair". It comes with a lamp for bedside reading. It has clips to hold it onto the headboard.

BUT- Some SOB has already been in there. Of course it doesn't work. This happened once before. I really hate this.

Oh well, it should be a challenge.
terrydec

Number of posts : 1111
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Crap! Not again

Post by Greg Davis on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:42 pm

I'd offer to send you all my project radios... but I already gave most of them away.

Want a parts/repair Atwater Kent model 40? I think I have two or three of those. Of course shipping will cost an arm and a leg... Smile
Greg Davis

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:06 pm

That would really be fun. I agree about the shipping. You'd have to ship it on a truck. The antique radio guide shows it valued at around $450. You might want to fix it after all.

I have a chair side radio. I don't know what the chassis is but it is a table with a radio installed. It works great. I'll have to start posting some more photos. I have a website that shows some of the radios I've owned.

www.terrydec.com
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:59 pm

Darn..  There's nothing wrong except a blown 35Z5.  I replaced it and the set works perfectly.  That's frustrating.   Oh well, the radio guide says it is worth between $75 and $85.  I got in on eBay for $12.  It just needs a cover for the lamp.

BTW- Is it just me but is something going on with eBay?  It takes months to sell anything and lately everything I bought was at the starting bid.  It's no fun any more.

Last edited by Bill Cahill on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:49 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Not a good word, so, I changed it.)
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Davis on Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:08 pm

terrydec wrote:That would really be fun.  I agree about the shipping.   You'd have to ship it on a truck.  The antique radio guide shows it valued at around $450.  You might want to fix it after all.

That's amusing. All the sets I acquired were SIGNIFICANTLY less than $100. One of them was in near perfect appearing condition... got it for $85. The others came in at $25 and $40 respectively. No way I would ever expect to get $450 for them.

Greg Davis

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:06 pm

Ah ha. I guess it depends on the cabinet.

MORE- This just might get interesting. It gets very few stations and those are weak. I've checked the speaker, (Don't forget the cardboard kiddies), and the B+. All okay. It looks like my Heathkit SG-8 generator and my Heathkit IM-11 ACVTVM are going to get warmed up for a good old fashion Alignment. This set has a unusual IF stage. Both transformers are in the same can. You don't see that very often. I'm taking photos of every stage of my work.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:52 pm

That won't work. These old radios work on RF. Not IF.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4590
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:53 pm

Phooey. I lost my earlier post.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:05 pm

Hey Bill. How ya feeling?

I'm pretty sure I have the right schematic. On the tube layout it shows it as an IF.

This set is from 1949.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bartley on Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:05 pm

terrydec wrote:  This set has a unusual IF stage.  Both transformers are in the same can.   

Terry,

I could only find two models of "Lullaby" radio when looking for a schematic, and both show that the second IF is separate from the first and the second only has one adjustment. Any chance of a photo of your chassis top and bottom? I'm curious to see what's there.

cheers

John

John Bartley

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2013-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:29 pm

Hummm. You might have something. I'm looking at it now. There is a coil under the chassis with an open core. That does look like a weird IF transformer. I stand corrected. We're looking at the same schematic from NA, right? I've been writing all day so I haven't really gotten in to it. I'm typing from my notes and since I can't type I naturally hate it.

This is a really cute radio. I'll see about photos.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bartley on Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:43 pm

terrydec wrote:Hummm.  You might have something.  I'm looking at it now.  There is a coil under the chassis with an open core.  That does look like a weird IF transformer.  I stand corrected.  We're looking at the same schematic from NA, right?

Yes, I think you're right about it being a bit weird looking. And yes, the only two schematics I was able to find were at NA. I'm going to have a look thru' the Beitman's next.

cheers

John Bartley

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:25 pm

I just finished typing the manuscript for my third detective story. My shoulder hurts like hell. Ouch! Time for a hot soak.
The radio will wait until tomorrow.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:43 pm

terrydec wrote:Hey Bill.  How ya feeling?

I'm pretty sure I have the right schematic.  On the tube layout it shows it as an IF.

This set is from 1949.

I'm o.k. Cold out today. My arthritis is hurting badly, but, I could be worse.
Thank you.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:46 pm

I once wrote a mystery, and, it's now gone. One company almost wantedto buy it. I was making correcctions for them. Everything went away with last computer.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:51 pm

If you have a bad day just remember that by this time tomorrow today will be yesterday.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bartley on Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:38 pm

terrydec wrote:The radio will wait until tomorrow.  

No luck in my search for other info Terry. I hope you're able to sort it out! Keep us posted.

cheers

John

John Bartley

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:03 pm

I had a signal but it was very distorted. I replaced the 50L6 and it got a little better. I replaced the 12SA7 and the sensitivity crept up, but it was still very distorted.

I have this great signal tracer that I bought from Radio Shack about a hundred years ago. I have replaced the transistor and added an LED, It even traces RF. So I started tracing the signal. It sounded good.

What did Sherlock Holmes say? To Paraphrase- When you exhaust all other possibilities the one that is left is correct.

I'm sitting at the bench puzzling over the problem. It sounds good all the way to the speaker. I bridge another speaker across the output. Of course that is it.

And of course the output transformer is welded to the back of the speaker.

Stay tuned as our whiz kid works his way out of this.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:09 pm

Got it!

What a guy!

I was able to break the mounting tabs on the transformer. Fortunately I have a bunch of replacement speakers. There is a spot on the chassis just big enough to put it. Now for some epoxy.

I think I'll do a quick alignment just for fun.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bartley on Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:16 pm

Nice save Terry.

John Bartley

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:47 pm

New developments. I got the original Sam's on eBay for $5. I replaced the speaker but of course it is not an 'exact' replacement. Hopefully it will fit into the case. I used epoxy to stick the transformer to a spare spot on the chassis. I need to stabilize the cracks and replace the lamp cover. All of which is doable.

Oh yeah, I've already sold it for $100!
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:49 pm

Here is a link to what it looks like. Although mine has brown knobs and a clear cover. The clips are to hang it over a headboard.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/mitchell_lullaby_bed_lamp_radio_s1250.html
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down