GE H-77 revisited

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GE H-77 revisited

Post by terrydec on Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:23 pm

The radio looks good and sounds great. I'll post a photo if I remember how. My friend thought it was an FM radio because it sounded so good. Not only that but there is a retro radio station in town. WAKY. This same station was on the air when I was a kid and they have the same format and songs of that era. I am actually listening to it a lot.

Now- that said...After the radio is on for awhile there will be a soft pop and the volume cuts in half. This is the interesting part, it comes back slowly. It might do this two or three times in an hour. Before I dig back into this monster it would be nice to know where I'm going.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Terry
terrydec

Number of posts : 1052
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Re: GE H-77 revisited

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:01 pm

It could be a tube shorting intermittently, a dirty socket, a bad I F transformer, especially it they are miniature with the capacitors built into The base, or, even a bad resistor.
Hope this helps.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4538
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bartley on Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:33 pm

What Bill said .... I had a set once that had the fading, but it accompanied by a crackling sound that increased until the audio went out, then came back faintly as the set came back to life. I first suspected the silver migration problem with an IF Xfrmr, but it turned out to be a defective screen resistor on an audio output tube. As I recall I found that one using a freeze spray.

cheers

John

John Bartley

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2013-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:25 pm

Both great suggestions. It could also be the band switch. It is scratchy. I hate switches, especially push buttons.

I can not believe how great this set sounds. It has a two stage audio output, a 4 position tone switch and a 12" speaker.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:32 pm

While I was out walking the dog the set lost the signal. Nothing across the dial. I hate that. The AF section works fine. This thing is a real bear to work on. You have to remove the "Beam -O-Scope" antenna and put it on the bench, plus the chassis is as big as my truck.

The good part? At least it is no longer intermittent. Surprised
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:16 pm

Oh, Oh. GE's usually have to be fine tunned on antenna in the cabinet.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4538
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:28 pm

Not in this case. That's how I got it working the last time. I guess it's time for the cold spray. I just wish I had been here when it went out. I was outside for 10 minutes and it quit. There are two things I hate, distortion and stuff that don't work right.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:34 pm

John Bartley wrote:What Bill said .... I had a set once that had the fading, but it accompanied by a crackling sound that increased until the audio went out, then came back faintly as the set came back to life. I first suspected the silver migration problem with an IF Xfrmr, but it turned out to be a defective screen resistor on an audio output tube. As I recall I found that one using a freeze spray.

cheers

John

Nobody is going to believe it but I once repaired silver migration. I took the can apart, drilled out the trimmers and replaced them with fixed caps. They worked great, at least when I finally connected the oscillator coil leads right.

Yep, a can of freeze is in my future. I really liked having it playing in the living room.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top