Rebuild of Goodmans Mezzo SL speakers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rebuild of Goodmans Mezzo SL speakers

Post by John Bartley on Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:03 pm

I'm not sure if this should be in the Audio or Cabinet forums, so I'll put it here and if it gets moved, then I guessed wrong....

I picked these up as part of a European console radio purchase that I made in about 2007. I need parts for something and there was an identical set going cheap in the Civic Hospital area of Ottawa Canada (near where I lived), so I went to buy it. As I was leaving with the radio and about to say "thank you and goodbye", I hear the seller say ... "hold on buddy, you're not done yet. There's a set of speakers that go with that radio". He took me into the den and on the wall are two of the ugliest speakers you have ever seen. They were scratched, dented, the corners were all smashed and they had been covered with woodgrain MacTac (vinyl fake wood).  I didn't want them, but the seller had been so nice that I took them along, figuring I'd trade them at the local fleamarket for something cheap. I got them home, started cleaning off the MacTac to make them look a bit better and that's when I found the "Goodmans" maker tag. I did some research and found that they were not exactly bottom end unit ... certainly not Jenson's, but not junk either. I was working at a friends cabinet shop part time, having sold my small engine equipment dealership and retired, so I took them there to do the rebuild. The cabinets had originally been white lacquer, but they were pretty bad, so I decided to cover them with Birds Eye maple veneer. I cut the smashed fronts off with the table saw, then built them back up with MDF glued to the particle board cabinets. I rebuilt the broken speaker mounts the same way then put in new threaded anchors. I did the veneer and lacquered them, then remounted the speakers with brass screws and washers. They don't sound too bad!

John Bartley

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2013-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Rebuild of Goodmans Mezzo SL speakers

Post by CaptainClock on Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:27 pm

Speaking of Goodman speakers, I just got at Goodwill a set of Realistic Minimus-1 Speakers which according to what I read online were based upon the Goodman Maximus speakers. Very interesting Speakers to say the least the Minimus 1 speakers are. They actually sound rather good for their size and they aren't over powering either, like some of your bigger speakers are.

CaptainClock

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2017-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Walker on Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:14 am

John, I would like to see some photos of these speakers.
maybe you can post some..
Dan in Calgary

Dan Walker

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2015-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top