bad reception AA5 radios

View previous topic View next topic Go down

bad reception AA5 radios

Post by Sinatra1982 on Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:07 am

I am a new beginner at this and so far have worked on 5 different AA5 radios. I have recapped them all, replaced some resistors and replaced some bad tubes. Problem is I have the same problem with each of them.
I can pick up the same distorted stations on each one and on each one in the middle of the band I get this scratchy static sound when tuning up or down the dial. I get maybe two or three stations on each one. It's like I am sitting under a bunch of shop lights, but am under none. I am working in my basement and even tried the radios upstairs but to the same demise. I have tried using a newer good radio with the same problem, still same result. My question is this. Within 20 feet of my house sits an electric pole transformer for the electricity to our home. Could this be my problem with all the interference I have described, especially since it is happening to all five radios or am I doing the something wrong each time to each radio? Thanks for your help.

Sinatra1982

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2016-10-22

Back to top Go down

Re: bad reception AA5 radios

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:23 pm

You may be onto something. Take one or two radios and go to a friend's house/garage and try away from the pole transformer.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by jukeboxman on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:48 pm

OK TRY THIS --WITH A PORTABLE RADIO IN HAND -TURN OF EACH BREAKER IN YOUR PANEL BOX ONE AT A TIME -LEAVE IT OFF AND MOVE TO THE NEXT ONE -IF THE NOISE STOPS WHEN A BREAKER GOES OFF -FIND OUT WHAT ROOM OR ROOMS THAT BREAKER SERVES-
THEN TURN ON THAT BREAKER AND UNPLUG EACH ITEM IN THAT AREA --I FOUND A BAD DVD PLAYER WAS CAUSING MINE BUT IT COULD BE MORE THAN ONE ITEM -ANYTHING THAT HAS A SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY COULD BE THE TROUBLE -INCLUDING CFL BULBS AND COMPUTER MODEMS --
HOPE THIS HELPS

jukeboxman
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2011-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinatra1982 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:55 am

All good advice, will try them all. Thanks very much.

Sinatra1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinatra1982 on Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:29 am

At last I found the problem for all radios not receiving stations. I have an am fm NOS radio 1950's that I know was good, has less than 20 minutes on it. Anyway I turned it on in my work room and it did the same thing, just static and no reception. Tried fm and it picked up perfect. I hooked up an external antenna with a 25 foot wire outside window, am reception did not change at all. On all am radios I can faintly pick up two stations. I am 30 miles from the closest am radio station and live way out in country with lots of hills.
Between that and having an electric power transformer next to I believe are my problems. I went to different rooms down and up stairs and no change. Any suggestions on picking up far away stations with some other antenna means? Thanks for all suggestions submitted.

Sinatra1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinatra1982 on Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:24 pm

I took one of the problem radios to my brother's in a town 30 miles away where they have an am station. The radio worked fine and I picked up over a half a dozen more stations pretty clear. I am guessing it must be the power transformer outside my house. It there any thing I can do to limit the interference on this or maybe do I need to devise an out side antenna? Thanks.

Sinatra1982

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:20 pm

Now Sinatra, don't get overly excited. You have learned that you have a problem in your house/location. The problem could be something as simple as a wall wart or other electronics pushing noise into the A/C line or perhaps something actually putting out some RF energy that is upsetting things. Next step might be to start turning off circuit breakers to see if one in energizing something that is messing up your line. It is amazing the stupid little things we plug in that will really mess up a radio. Shut all breakers down other than the one your radio runs on. If you still have problems, look at what is on that circuit. Until such time as you can eliminate the stuff in the house which is most likely, no external antenna is going to really help. Even if there is something wrong with the external feed, only the power company can help if they want.
Best, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinatra1982 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:19 am

Jerry, thanks. I was going to try and come up with some type of outside antenna setup, but I'll try your suggestions first. Danny

Sinatra1982

Back to top Go down

Post by jukeboxman on Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:41 pm

yes jerry repeted basicly what i told you to try--a bad dvd player was my problem but like we both said start by turning off breakers one at a time --if you have a battery radio to use as a tester it helps

jukeboxman
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2011-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:18 pm

Computers and their power supplies is another source of bad interference.
Tony V

Number of posts : 615
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinatra1982 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:07 am

Gary and Tony, thanks a lot, will try all suggestions.

Sinatra1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:57 am

Thanks, Tony. I forgot to mention that, along with modern computerized tv sets.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinatra1982 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:02 am

I installed an external 100 foot outdoor antenna and all are picking up fine. I think the problem is that I am so far away from any strong AM stations. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Sinatra1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:39 pm

You are very welcome.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down