Internet Explorer 11

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Internet Explorer 11

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:35 pm

I recently had IE11 installed on our little cheap computer. We had been experiencing slow running at times, and the computer did not want to shut down properly. We are running Win 7, 64 bit, for whatever that is worth. This computer was in the shop several times this summer with no real progress being made. The computer guru says it is working perfectly, but it still locks up and I have to shut the thing down by unplugging it. It seems like it is opening or closing multiple versions of IE at once. I have been using Google Chrome lately, since it is faster and does not mess up the computer. How can IE be opening so many times, sometimes five or six times, when I have not been using it? I tried to shut the thing down awhile ago, and IE was closing six times. We installed IE 11 since the computer guru claimed that the old version was "corrupted." This version is no better, and may be worse. Have any of you had problems with IE messing up a computer? My computer illiteracy is legendary, so I'm suspecting my problem may be self-inflicted.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Internet Explorer 11

Post by John Bartley on Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:56 pm

[quote="Wildcat445"]  Have any of you had problems with IE messing up a computer?  [/quote7

On my three year old Sony Vaio I recently upgraded from Win7 to Win10. I was not having any problems with 7 and 10 has been flawless. My main browser is Firefox, but I also have IE11 and Edge on this machine. I detest Edge, but IE11 works just fine.

That's all I've got for you.

cheers

JB

John Bartley

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2013-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:13 pm

thanks, John.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:45 am

I have IE 11 as well, and Firefox.  Edge just comes with Windows 10, but I don't use it.  If you use another browser, maybe it is causing the problem.  I had a problem with the computer leaving sleep mode, but that seems different from your problem.  I would suggest  a second opinion if your regular guy can't work this one out.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:37 pm

Thanks, 75. Out here getting a computer worked on is an activity fraught with danger. IT is very easy to have more in "diagnostics" and guessing than it would cost to replace the computer. I really believe my problem lies with Internet Explorer in some description. Every time I try to shut this thing down, it says it is waiting to close a program. "Internet Explorer exe." is what it is trying to close. I have been using Google Chrome, so why is IE open?

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:38 pm

You may have to go through your internet settings and change to Google chrome as your default browser.  They hide this stuff all over.  I just start going through possible areas and check on how they are configured.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:01 pm

There are two versions of "explorer .exe". One, if it is in all capitol letters is a virus. The other, in all small letters is part of Windows, but can be problematic. I have the small letter version. Quite possible that something to do with the particular version of IE 11 that was installed on this computer has become corrupted for who knows what reason. The wife and I have decided that the cure is gonna be a new computer. This one was an el-cheapo promotional version that I bought at Walmart in 2012 including monitor, speakers the whole shot for $287. Then I got 10% off that, so the thing owes me nothing and is not worth putting money into. I put 8 GB of memory into this one that will work in my other computer. The wife can use this one to play games on. My printer will allegedly work with Windows 10 and Win 10 still has Windows Media Player, so I can manage my music. I keep stuff for ever and expect it to work for that long. I need to remember that modern electronics have a built-in obsolescence and they should be replaced occasionally.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:56 pm

It'd be worthwhile to look at the reconditioned Dells on Walmart.com.  I got one for home and it was a very good price on a good PC.  It was so good I went on and got a reconditioned monitor and a well equipped laptop.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:12 pm

explorer.exe is the desktop and its components.

iexplore.exe is internet explorer.

there is a difference.
simplex1040

Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:12 am

Therein lies the problem, I believe. Within the first 20 minutes after I power it up, this computer could not work better. It gradually slows down after about 45 minutes that I can't even open up games or anything on the hard drive. The task bar and all the fonts disappear, leaving only the wallpaper. The thing has to be unplugged to shut it down. If I did not know better, I'd swear somebody installed ME on this thing. I have a guy coming to the house Friday to take a look at it. I am in the market for a new computer, but I want to be sure there is not an "environmental" reason for my problem. If I force the thing to shut down, restart it, it will work just fine again for another 20 to 45 minutes.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:53 pm

Sounds like a virus i cleaned off a laptop a couple of weeks ago, kept shutting down explorer. until on reboot explorer would never start. got it cleaned off with malwarebytes.
simplex1040

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:13 pm

The problem that was found was a corrupted "explorer.exe" file. He found a corrupted file that affected Google Chrome and IE as well. Could have been caused by the myriad Windows "updates" or even a failed attempt by Windows to automatically install Windows 10. He cautioned me about looking for the little font in the tool bar that will automatically install Windows 10 if I don't get rid of it promptly. The problem with Windows 10 on this little computer is that the processor only runs at 1.3 GH, and minimum recommended processor speed for Win 10 is 2.0 GH. This is according to the computer guru, so I am merely parroting what I heard, not what I actually know. So far, so good. The next couple days will be the "tell" whether I wasted my time with this thing or not. This guru, like my guru in Missouri, does not recommend updating this computer to Windows 10. Buying a new computer with Win 10 would be okay.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:18 pm

Hope that works out. Don't forget about the Walmart.com Refurbished Dells, should you want to go with a new one. They are a good bargain.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:09 pm

Time will tell. We have a modem on our Cox internet and that thing gets really warm. I need to reboot that thing about once a week since it freezes up. The computer guru blames Cox, Cox blames the computer. It is a vicious circle if one is an idiot about computers like I am. I will keep the recon Dells in mind. I appreciate that tip, 75.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:52 pm

windows 10 update should not show up any more as the free period expired in july.
simplex1040

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:10 pm

This little cheap computer is going like gangbusters since the corrupted files were found. Not quite as fast as the computer in my laboratory, mind you, but plenty adequate for what we do with it. I have found that it takes longer to load Google Chrome than it does IE, but Chrome is faster in operation. I'm not talking minutes of loading time, but a couple eye blinks longer, if that makes any sense. I've nothing to complain about right now.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:25 pm

Excellent!
75X11

Back to top Go down