Auction score!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Auction score!

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:16 pm

In an effort to break up things a bit ( and realizing that this post will lay an egg!), I thought I'd share some of my recent auction scores.

I got an Eddie Peabody record "Banjo Magic" on Dot DLP-3376, probably circa 1962, give or take a year.  This album does not contain songs I would consider to be "classic" Eddie Peabody.  This copy is mono, but is in really good condition.

Another album from the same auction is "Crazy People" by Somethin' Smith and The Redheads.  It is on Epic SP "An Activity of Columbia Special Products" EPSP-508.  I had never heard of this outfit before, and need to Google it to get more information.  Their music is billed as "happy" and they deliver in spades.  The music is somewhat Dixieland jazz in flavor, and the vocals remind me a bit of "Sing Along with Mitch" type lyrics and delivery.  "Crazy People", "My Blue Heaven", "Leanin' On The Old Top Rail", and "I'm A Ding Dong Daddy From Dumas" are perhaps the best on the album.  Nary a bad note on the whole thing in my estimation.  Definitely the type of surprise I like when I buy a stack of records at auction. And here we are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somethin%27_Smith_and_the_Redheads

I finally scored a stereo version of Homer and Jethro "At The Convention".  I have the mono version.

Floyd Cramer's "Class of '65" on RCA Victor, LSP 3405, circa 1965.  This copy is in Stereo Dynagroove.  This is the first of Cramer's "Class of..." series that continued thru at least 1975.  He brought out a yearly "Class of" album and I did not have this one.  A most welcome addition to my Cramer collection.

I also scored my first Liberace record.  I can listen to Liberace better than I can watch him perform.  "A Brand New Me" on Warner Brothers WS 1847, probably from the early 1970's, if I were to hazard a guess.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5282
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Auction score!

Post by Tony V on Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:15 am

Sounds like you got a good haul. Enjoy!
Tony V

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:07 am

I'm trying to remember what Floyd did that was popular. Perhaps "Sleep Walk"?

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by kb4yrc on Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:53 am

" Last Date " ..... Gregg

kb4yrc

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:14 pm

Thanks Gregg, brain cells now firing a little. Sleep Walk was Santo and Johnney? Last Date was a great recording, I think I will ask "Alexa" to play it.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:28 pm

"San Antonio Rose" was another 1961 hit for Floyd Cramer. "On The Rebound" was another. Floyd Cramer gained his greatest fame as a session artist, and as a founder of the "Nashville Sound" prevalent in Nashville around the 1959-1969 or so era. Nearly any artist on any label who wanted a Nashville Sound hit used Cramer's piano stylings on their recordings. He was so influential in Nashville, he could record on other labels besides RCA any time he pleased.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5282
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top