A VW update

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A VW update

Post by jerryhawthorne on Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:14 pm

Well we have decided to sell our little VW Jetta DTI diesel back to VW. I'm certain that perhaps not that they can bring it back to emission stadards but not certain how it may respond in terms of fuel comsompion and power. Not to metion the stigma that will surround resale value.
Their resale value back to me and others is more than great. We will take that and deliver to our original seller who has ordered us a new 2017 Golf wagon, of course gas powered. I figure a push in resale and buying price. Of course we paid a premium of the the diesel.
We will go back to Sedona to trade it in and pick up the new car in January. VW has been more than fair as far as we are concerned. We love the little wagon and is perfect for our needs. The gas version will not return the MPG of the diesel but OK for us as we don't do a lot of long distance driving much any more.
There is something nice about the driving of German cars, they are just fun, even the lower level ones.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 732
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Re: A VW update

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm

I'm glad to see you got that situation straightened out to your satisfaction, Jerry. I'll be driving my "German car" in six weeks or so, and I'll tell you then how much fun it is after sitting all summer not driven. Mine missed the Takata airbag recall, so that was a good thing. You might find that driving a turbocharged four cylinder gas burner is as much or more fun that driving a diesel. The mileage may not be that much worse. Of course, you gotta burn premium fuel...... Rolling Eyes

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:24 pm

Nice it's working out for you.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:25 am

WC, the HP rating is for premium gas, but you can run the car on regular and perhaps suffer a little in HP. I guess it all part of that variable valve timing and electronics that none of us will be able to figure out. Shocked

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:58 pm

If you burn less than premium fuel in a MINI, your warranty will receive the kiss of death, should you suffer from a performance problem of any description. I'm gonna try 89 octane as soon as the warranty expires. Pre-ignition is the concern, particularly with a boosted-aspiration engine. I understand that the computer can somewhat compensate for that, but cylinder temps and that are a concern with a turbocharger. Does the VW have an intercooler?

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:05 am

WC, not certain about the intercooler on the engine. I will check on warranty and running on 89 octane. Premium gas here in CA is dang expensive.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:46 am

You'll have fun with a gas VW. Around here, they are frightfully expensive to service and maintain. Same with MINI. The intercooler on a MINI is below the bumper. EVERYTHING hits it. Find out where the intercooler is located on the VW and figure out a way to protect it from flying debris.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:22 pm

WC, the warranty on the new VW although minimal in terms of time/milage should take me well through. One does not buy a German car unless one wishes to enjoy driving period. Otherwise it makes little sense. Buy a Toyota, they will run forever and much cheaper to service. No particular joy in the driving experience although they will get you there in comfort.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:16 pm

I absolutely agree. The problem around here in Bugtussle is that NOBODY services anything but GM, Ford and sometimes Chrysler. You gotta even take a newer Toyota someplace else. German cars, forget about it! Service is at least 125 miles away. It is not the cars, but the service facilities.

Toyotas may RUN forever but they start RUSTING immediately around here. Lots of that stuff that runs like a watch but the bodies fall off. The frames are prone to rust. Nobody around here drives a Toyota truck, unless he lives somewhere without snow in the winter.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top