Some humor?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Some humor?

Post by Dr. Radio on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:48 pm

Maybe more sad then funny... Smile

As much as I like the other site (at times) Smile , sometimes I just have to shake my head.

Check out my totally ridiculous, crazy, off the wall suggestion to the original poster.

Maybe I overstepped my boundaries? Very Happy

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=304592
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Some humor?

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:47 am

I have read the thread you linked several times. I am having a problem understanding your point. Perhaps I'm having a senior moment? Rolling Eyes

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:10 pm

Nor do I yet... If it turns into a war, or any negative stuff, I won't put up with that. I just wish you guys would used this forum more often. Surely you are repairing something??
Gets lonely here.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Conelrad on Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:39 pm

Just a bunch of nerdy, retentive radio guys vexing over wire voltage ratings, and the supplier not spelling out what ought to be obvious:

It doesn't matter one whit in an old radio. Wire insulation ratings (AWM) are in ACV, DCV is substantially higher.

So what will one find for the highest E in a receiver anyways?

Dennis

Conelrad

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2013-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:43 pm

You're one wild and crazy guy! They will probably be back around to do that topic to death shortly.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:08 pm

Sorry guys, I guess I made that confusing Smile

I was being tongue in cheek.

What I was getting at is it seems there is "always a debate" at the other site. I felt I had the most basic common sense answer, yet you see all of the other posts....interesting what happened when my advice was taken Smile

Bill--I will try not to be such a stranger here, ok. Smile
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:16 pm

You're right, they will debate to the point they are grinding smoke and beyond.  It is the only forum I have to routinely terminate notifications on done to death threads.  Very Happy
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:05 am

Everyone gets the same tired, standard answer. What you are working on is not "desirable", you have to change all the caps or your house will burn down, and if the radio does not work, it has SMD.

YAWN! Rolling Eyes

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:04 am

WC aint that the truth! Laughing
Tony V

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:28 am

If you wish to have a large number of responses to a simple question, all of which are somewhat different and confusing as all get out. The place to go. Somewhere buried in the many answers the basic truth lies. You just need to sort through them. Rolling Eyes I find them entertaining.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 732
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:16 am

Wildcat445 wrote:Everyone gets the same tired, standard answer.  What you are working on is not "desirable", you have to change all the caps or your house will burn down, and if the radio does not work, it has SMD.

YAWN! Rolling Eyes

Many of the posters over there I don't trust what they say. Don't get me wrong I don't claim to be an expert by no means. But I went to tech school and got a electronics degree, worked in shops and have made my living repairing stuff. I have been working on tube stuff for close to 40 years now so I am not new to radios. I have been chewed out by people over there that had no training in repair or electronics.  One time this fellow asked a simple question. One "fellow" explained how to repair something and I thought his explanation was spot on. Then this other person who I will call the "armchair expert" went against the "fellow" who first posted and explained up and down why he was wrong and why the "armchair expert"  method was perfect. I thought this "armchair expert" hasn't a clue. I went and looked at these two fellows profiles. The "fellow" had that he had retired from owning a TV shop for decades and had been trained in the military. The Armchair expert" ? He has got his first tube radio a few years previous and never made a living in repair. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of people who have never been trained on repairs and are experts better than I am. But that site tends to attract those wanting to puff up their ego and to fuss. I like this site better even if there is not a lot of posting. Its a lot easier on the nerves here.

As far as the other site I got tired of all the fussing there. I did post a wanted ad here and there looking for parts for a hickok and a seco tube tester. Greenhorn over there had a 600a he sold me. It was in better shape than my 600 so I am in the process of fixing it. I posted it here but I only got one response here from Wildcat. Maybe people today like that Jerry Springer type mentality on a forum. But as for me I like the forums that seem more like the Andy Griffith type mentality.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:53 pm

I have not posted on that forum, with the exception of the want ads, since last winter. They had great fun making fun of Walmart employees. That hit close to home for me. What makes these people so special that they can make fun of people about whom they know nothing? I posted a WTB ad for Magnavox multiplex adapters, and will admit to hitting the "mother lode". I have not been as successful with my WTB ad for a Stereo Theater, however. The two guys I bought MPX adapters from could not have been nicer, nor more accommodating. It is unfortunate that the many get painted by a brush stroked by the few.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:05 pm

WC wrote:
I have not posted on that forum, with the exception of the want ads, since last winter. They had great fun making fun of Walmart employees.

WC, most things I have seen are about WM shoppers, you know those candid shots that are well, at least funny. I have always found the employees helpful, if you can find them.
True, if you want to find a part or sell one that is the best forum venue as it has a large following.
A lot of nice people there but of course with so many there are some "pills". In my old age it is getting easier to learn to ignore them then confront.
Best, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 732
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:12 pm

Wal mart is a big concern and has inveigled it's way into many people's lives. There is going to be a lot of humor directed at it. Try to Be tolerant. The place I work for has enemies that will chase me down on the street to vent their spleen. You could have it worse.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:06 pm

People can make fun of companies, things, products all they care to.  My objection is when they start making fun of PEOPLE for something they may have no control over.

That fat person on an electric shopping cart may be a nuisance.  They stop in the middle of the isle, they fumble around and knock things off the shelf.  The fact that people need to be mindful of is that, but for the grace of God goes one of us.

My wife and I both live with a disability.  I volunteer to work with cancer patients who are going thru the trauma of the big "C" and perhaps are facing life-changing surgery to save their lives.  I'll admit to being more sensitive to disability than many people.  I believe that acting tacky and having a good yuk at disabled people's expense is not the right thing for me to do.  It is not a trait I admire in others.  Being tolerant of people is one thing, but defending tacky behavior, for whatever reason, is something I try to avoid. I'm a 13 year cancer survivor. I lost most of the right side of my neck to cancer and I talk funny. People yell when they talk to me, thinking if I can't talk, I must also be deaf. But, hey, I'm still on the green side of the grass, something the doctors said was unlikely for five years, but it has been 13. Still, hearing the barbs and comments from people who do not know me stings occasionally.

I am a firm believer in the old saw of "if we can't get a laugh at ourselves, who then?" is an apt one.  I try to choose which "who" is appropriate.  I believe the guys on ARF crossed the line.  They are doing just fine without me.....

Last edited by Wildcat445 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Conelrad on Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:13 pm

There is one guy in my life that has always been such a goofy fool, and I make fun of him every chance I get.

Especially in the morning at the bathroom mirror!

D

Conelrad

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:34 pm

I have been "disabled " all my life. Poor vision because of a childhood disease my mother got while I was forming. It made my eyes so that back then, they thought I couldn't see anything. I proved them all wrong. I restore televisions, radios, phonographs, and, wind up phonographs.
John Folsom, an expert, also of poor vision worked for Nasa developing, and building equipment for their shuttles.
Two years ago John complimented me by saying that on restoring antique televisions, and, other BW stuff, plus, radios, I know what I'm doing.
That was quite a compliment to receive.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Conelrad on Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:34 pm

Bill Cahill wrote: That was quite a compliment to receive.

Indeed! cheers

DG

Conelrad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top