Precision Type 920 tube tester

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Precision Type 920 tube tester

Post by Ed in W. PA on Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:58 pm

I recently purchased a Precision 920 tube tester that is in need of restoration. I only paid $20.00 for it so if it isn't exactly what I need { a reliable and accurate way to test older tubes} I won't be out much money. Does any one know anything about this brand? Is this a quality item, will I get reliable tests from it, or should I not even spend the time fixing this up. At this time it looks like every thing works, it just needs cleaned up switches cleaned ect. Regards, Ed.

Ed in W. PA

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2014-02-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Precision Type 920 tube tester

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:44 pm

As far as I'm concerned Precision is as good a brand as any when it comes to dependability. I have an old Precision signal generator from the 1930's and I still use it. I have a couple newer generators, but the old Precision is my favorite. My stepdad bought it new and used it in his shop for years before I got it. I'd say see if your tester works, tune it up as you see fit and use it with confidence.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 pm

I have that model. Seems to work o,k, but, mind you it only gets plate voltage straight off the ac line. Transformer voltage, including 80 rectifier filament voltage is off a power transformer.
I like the set, but, while o.k. , it isn't top notch. But, I've had few complaints about it.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4523
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:20 am

I have a precision as well, I don't think its the same model but it is similar. I used it for my main one for years. It has been a good one. I got it about 25 years ago in a second hand joint in the middle of nowhere. I think I am starting to collect tube testers now. I have a couple of store tube testers, one a seco 1100 I need to find some parts for. I also have a sencore from the 60s and this precision. I have my original 600 hickok I need to find a case and a roll chart for then I also picked up a jackson at the last radio meet I went to and a hickok 600a I got in the mail yesterday. Never can have too many testers.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:17 am

I accumulate VTVM's like you accumulate tube testers. You're right, though. You can never have too many. What if one breaks? They don't make them anymore, and you have a spare! Very Happy

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:20 am

Wildcat445 wrote:I accumulate VTVM's like you accumulate tube testers.  You're right, though.  You can never have too many.  What if one breaks?  They don't make them anymore, and you have a spare!  Very Happy

I have been wanting to clear out some stuff to make room for stuff I want. I got rid of a small scope and meter I knew I never would look at. I wound up trading them to a transitor tester, signal generator and two meters. I think I am defeating my cleaning out. But at least the items are RCA that I collect.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top