What ever happen to schools?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What ever happen to schools?

Post by jerryhawthorne on Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:47 pm

OK, I watch this forum daily and not much going on on radios, so I thought I would ask a question.  In junior high and high school we had a number of programs to take.   Do you remember wood shop or a class in electricity (I built the only electric motor that didn't work, in wood shop the only "wagon wheel lamp" with center way off center and a nice wood serving plate for vegies and dip}. Stuff only a mother would like.  How about auto shop, I didn't attend as I didn't have a car in high school.  And drivers ed, a class you had to take that showed terrible pictures of auto accidents.  There was drivers training, an in car class for teaching.  They don't seem to have those things anymore.
I guess I'm just wondering what the heck do they teach anymore?
Certainly auto shop is out of the question for a number of reasons and wood shop out for liability.  Basic electricity training out because no one cares anymore.  I guess the kids can read and perhaps write, important skills indeed.  They are certainly great running computers and phones.  I guess that is the future?
Just my ranting as the grandkids grow up.    Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 732
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Re: What ever happen to schools?

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:06 pm

Don't get me started.  My brothers "companion" is a school teacher, and you should hear the bilgewater she spouts.  I'm quite frankly surprised that kids know as much as they do.  Common sense is not so common anymore.

We need to bring back the one room school house concept.  That was the best way to learn there ever was.  And we need to introduce grandparents back into the lives of children.  Grandparents can make a huge difference in how a child matures into adulthood.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyCanuck on Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:47 am

I'm sure that this conversation has been had by every generation since the first set of grandparents looked at their grandkids and said : "the world is doomed .... our grandkids are letting it go to hell in a handbasket ... they don't learn the stuff we did ... etc. ... etc..."

Isn't it a great thing that the next generations are not encumbered by our prejudices, that they can think for themselves, that they can build a society that suits "them", that they have the courage to say : "Granddad, you're a good guy, but you did a few things wrong,so we're going to fix them for you." Granted, they won't get it 100% correct, but then .... neither did we. In 50 or 75 years they'll be repeating this conversation, only by then it will be telepathically ...or some other way ...

CrazyCanuck

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:28 pm

That is the way it has been since the moon landings after the nation fostered scholastic excellence for a strong and competitive workplace. The ideals of achievement that are for ones' own personal satisfaction has clouded the acquired knowledge that the young are equipped with. My school had mandatory classes that any student had to take to graduate in addition to the chosen field of endeavor. Classes that prepared one for assimilation into society. Cooking, running a household, maintaining ones' personal finances, as well as ones health. Instruction in how the government worked and how to exercise one's participation in it. Based on the results I see in the current generations, there must be none of this any more.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:35 pm

I have learned two new words lately. "Redacted" and "feckless." I wondered if they were obscene, but apparently not.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:29 pm

Was the latter word used to describe the service of your old cable provider?
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:29 pm

Not exactly, but totally appropriate. Very Happy

"Redacted" is the more interesting of the two words.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:20 pm

I work in a school system. I see it all the time and I am one all for "shop" . I took electricity and electronics and even won the electricity award in HS. Back years ago the thinking was that all jobs would require college education so they got away from shop. What the powers that be didn't realize is you will always need auto repairmen, Plumbers,etc.  A lot of the decisions are made by PHDs and then passed down from Feds or state. Eventually I do expect it to swing back. Especially when no one knows how to wire a socket or change a faucet.

Funny thing to me is this. I go through computers like crazy fixing them. I usually run out of things to do and get bored. I went through shop class in HS then a 2 yr tech college,got a degree there and had almost 2 others when I left. I fixed a computer another tech with a masters worked on at least 4 hours and didn't get it apart. I took it the rest of the way apart and replaced the bad part in about an hour. I feel like a really good shop class and then some kind of tech school afterwards goes a long way,even farther than a BS,MS or even PHD if done right.

I have a cousin who has probably close to a PHD that couldn't get a decent job for years. He finally became some kind of social worker. I had my tech school and have had all kinds of job and even people calling me out of the blue wanting me.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:26 pm

One of the biggest problems I see in education and I had it happen to me in HS. They try to tell you what you need to go into to make the most money. What they need to do is find out what they like, what they would be great at then guide them in that direction. What was big when I went to HS was they would push computers to make the big bucks. What I saw was folks who went into computers that had no knack for it. They got degrees then jobs and made more of a mess out of them. My degree was in electronics but I had a knack in computers. I wound up going into that field and I have made a decent living in it. Mainly because I went into the field I had a knack in and not what they said to like being a lawyer,DR or some other big money field.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Walker on Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:45 pm

I guess we all know what BS is, MS is more stuff and PHD is piled higher and deeper.
I run into problems when my wife is always saying to our friends ''bring it over and Dan will have a look at
it. No matter if it is a can opener, lawn mower, radio or any other piece of equipment.
Most of the time I don't mind , but I always have to get someone else to look at my computer, because I know nothing about how they work. Computer talk is not in English [as I know it]
It still amazes me that most people don't know how to fix a drain, facet , lamp, light switch or any other simple thing.

Dan Walker

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2015-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top