Country Music on YouTube

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Country Music on YouTube

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:07 am

I'm impressed. I did not know that real country music was so prolific. My brother mentioned a Junior Brown video he had seen, so I found it. It is in a tribute to Ray Price, filmed somewhere in Nashville with no audience. Some of the greats of country music, along with some nobody's or near nobody's were in attendance. Junior Brown material is listed under "Rock" for some odd reason. This is a great video. Even better if you just let the videos play and see who you can discover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV8W-3IKCDE

On a recent night, I found:

Billy Yates. Not familiar with him at all.

Curtis Potter. Ditto.

Tony Booth. A one-hit wonder from the 1970's. Singing his one hit "The Key's In The Mailbox." Fantastic.

Dale Watson. Never heard of him. "Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down" a Merle Haggard hit. Should be a Dale Watson hit.

The Whites. An old school bluegrass/Western Swing outfit. Sharon White married Ricky Skaggs. I an not a Sharon White fan, but I like their piano player, a genuine old school three-finger piano player. "The San Antonio Rose". Nice job.

Linda Davis. A backup singer for Janie Fricke back in the day. She does "Burning Memories" here. She should have been the star.

Jim Lauderdale. "Talk To Your Heart" and early Ray Price hit. Very well done by an artist unknown to me.

Wade Hayes. "Heartaches By The Number" another Ray Price hit. The wife says this artist is a fairly new one, but unknown to me. Good stuff.

Dean Miller, son of the late Roger Miller. "Old Friends" a song made famous by Roger Miller, Ray Price and Willie Nelson. Nicely done.

Jan Howard. "I'd Rather Be Sorry". My goodness, this lady must have been well into her 80's when this video was made in April 2015. She was from the Patsy Cline/Lorretta Lynn/Kitty Wells days. Her singing days are behind her, unfortunately, but it was good to see her still in there pitching.

Legendary great Buddy Emmons was in attendance. A young steel player, Mike Johnson, played Buddys' steel guitar in this session. Leon Rhodes also played on a set or two as well.

Junior Brown and Hank Thompson recorded a little ditty not long before Hank passed away. "Sell Them Chickens" sounds silly, but it is a pretty good western swing number, fitting in the Thompson tradition, mixed with Junior Browns guitar picking.

Enjoy! Very Happy

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Country Music on YouTube

Post by willy3486 on Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:35 am

LOL Wildcat, we need to switch states. Two of my favorite musicians are Marty Robbins and Linda Ronstadt, both from AZ. Its nothing to see or hear the type of music you like here where I live. I guess thats the benefit of living close to Nashville. I have a friend who was over at one of our friends houses. The other friend would have Jam sessions at his house on weekends years ago. He said he was there picking with someone else when another fellow came in to listen. He looked up and it was Chet Atkins. He told me that he could pick decent but then he felt like a beginner when Chet came in.

Here where I live your liable to see all kinds of musicians. I don't think he is full fledged country but a fellow called Lonnie Mack lived here close to where I live and died recently. Here is one of his songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExRdQtqHyac&spfreload=10
I am not familiar with him or his music. I don't think I ever met him but folks I know who did liked him.

We also have a event called the Smithville Fiddlers  Jamboree. They film it and it goes all over the country on PBS. If you have ever seen it thats where I live. Quite a few folks got their start there. Danny Roberts of this group entered there and I think he won something
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3ETo_ZWGUA&list=PLbGWE0SJj4or2qJ0YF6D8R1H_VsqdiZs-&spfreload=10

My wifes family were musical like the Darlings off the Andy Griffith show. Its nothing for them to get together and jam. One of her cousins who is retired went on tour to Ireland I think in the last year. Another use to go all over with a Christian group.
Anyway you should make a trip to Nashville and check them out.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:37 am

The part about all this that amazes me is that I always believed I was pretty "into" country music, and was fairly knowledgeable. Every time I get on YouTube, I feel not so sure of that. I like coming across obscure artists. I do not own a note by Junior Brown. I have no idea why. I intend to make a reel to reel tape of this kind of material.

My uncle was in a dance band when he was a kid. He and three of his buddies. The guy who played bass was an airline pilot. I had an uncle to played the jug like Briscoe Darling on Andy Griffith.

Everybody likes Marty Robbins. I liked some of Linda Ronstadt's later material she recorded with Nelson Riddle. "What's New" comes to mind. She did a couple others, but the titles escape me just now. She was a looker in her day, though her early material was a tad too far on the rock and roll side to suit me.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top