Two "new" Zenith babies: B835E and another Y825

Go down

Two "new" Zenith babies: B835E and another Y825

Post by beebs on Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:35 pm

This past week we got another couple of Zeniths, one a B835E in fairly good cosmetic shape, and another Y825 in *excellent* shape. I was hoping to be "blown away" by the sound of the B835E, but it seems to me that the Y825 kicks it in the behind pretty thoroughly, as far as sound quality...it even has a deeper bass than the wooden cased B835E, which I found odd. I figured that with the wood cabinet plus having separate woofer/tweeter setup, the B835E would yield much better sound, but the single speaker in the bakelite Y825 just kicks its booty.

From what I can tell, the electrostatic tweeters on the B835E are not working. Putting my ear up to where they are on the front, I hear nothing. I haven't done anything to it yet, just popped the back off to look at it. From what I could see, the tweeter wires come off a terminal bracket attached to the woofer, with a resistor wired in between them. Is it possible that the resistor is just bad, or are the tweeters usually "blown" in a case like this? Anyone have experience with the tweeters on this particular model?

I'll try to get some video up of these soon. I'm also working on a webpage with pics, that will take awhile, but hopefully by the end of the week I'll have something up.

beebs

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Two "new" Zenith babies: B835E and another Y825

Post by Doug K. on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:07 pm

Good "how to " article here on electrostatics http://www.ppinyot.com/electrostatic_tweeter.htm
Doug K.

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by beebs on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:53 am

Thanks...great article! Good to know that rebuilding them is an option. I've never dealt with electrostatics before.

beebs

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down