Magnavox Radio Chassis – R316-17 - Phono Switch

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Magnavox Radio Chassis – R316-17 - Phono Switch

Post by Jerry R. on Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:29 pm

Magnavox Radio Chassis – R316-17

The phono switch (Mag. # 160393-8 ) is part of a switch module (Mag. #703529-2).  The phono switch is erratic in operation and I was going to try to lubricate it.  However, access to the switch contacts are difficult.  After removing the chassis, I located the switch module.  My question is does anyone know if I can remove the switch module by pulling up on its assembly, or is the module soldered in.  Do to the difficulty of removing all components to board level, I can’t see the bottom of the switch module.

See photo of the switch module at:  http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif  

Please disreguard surrounding data.

Thanks,
Jerry

Jerry R.

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2014-10-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Magnavox Radio Chassis – R316-17 - Phono Switch

Post by 75X11 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:45 pm

I take it the module is the multiple pushbutton bank to the right of your dial area. For something like that, I would find a good spray electrical contact cleaner that is first rated safe to use with all types of plastics. You would also want one with a tube to get the spray where you want it. I would put a paper towel underneath the bank of switches and give them each a spray while working the switch. The towel should catch much of what you clean off and you will be able to see it on the towel. What I usually do after that is give each each a small spray, just in the contact area with DeOxit, and then I blow it out with a little canned air, so you don't leave too much on it. Check the plastic on the switches by putting a little cleaner on your finger and rubing the plastic a bit. If you get plastic residue on your finger, DON'T USE IT.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry R. on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:11 pm

Yes, the switch module is to the right of the dial area. Thanks for the tips on cleaning. All of the switches are tightly enclosed with almost no opening on them to add cleaner or to know where the contacts are. My plan was to remove the module with the hope of seeing a switch opening on the bottom. Short of that, I had thoughts of maybe being able to open the switch enough to add spray to the contact areas. And finally, if that did not work, try and locate a switch or module to install.

All of this would require removing the switch module. If it is soldered in, I don’t want to make the mistake and try removing it.

Jerry

Jerry R.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:13 pm

I've had very good luck with this product, and I have yet to damage any plastics with it.

You can usually find it at any reputable hardware store or automotive parts store. Just make sure you buy the one pictured, you do NOT want the one that had the picture of the starter motor on it as that will "eat" plastic.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-5103-Quick-Electronic-Cleaner/dp/B000BXOGNI
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:16 pm

I feel (without seeing it in person), this would be a risky proposition to attempt to remove the assemblies or try to open the switches themselves. This is a newer unit with a circuit board and heavily constructed of plastics as it would appear. Not much room for error.

I agree with "rapid working" of each switch with some spray in whatever crevice is available and go from there.
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:26 pm

With a good spray cleaner, there will be enough access to the switches' innards to give it a nice flush. I'll second on the cleaner the good doctor recommends.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry R. on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:42 pm

I guess I'll give the switch another spray flush. Although I had done that about a month ago, the problems reappeared.

However, if anyone does know, I am still curious to know how this module is installed.

Jerry

Jerry R.

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:16 pm

Just by looking at it, the switches are initially mounted on the board to the right to make it a unit. then the entire assembly was most likely inserted in the larger board, then flow soldered in place. Look up DeoxIt spray on amazon. It can help with balky switches like those and prevent recurrence of the intermittent.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry R. on Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:33 pm

Great - I'll give it a try.

Thanks to all.

Jerry

Jerry R.

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:43 pm

No problem. Keep us posted!
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry R. on Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:00 pm

Hello again –

Reporting back on my issue.  I tried the DeoxIt spray and unfortunately it did not work.  I don’t fault the spray.  Access to the switch contacts is almost impossible in its original mounting.  So, I decided to take a risk and see if the switch module could actually be removed.  With all the switches, it just seems logical that the designers would have made this a serviceable item.  Plus, they did call it a module.

Anyway, I decided to carefully see if the module could be removed. And, to my delight, the module came out.  So, although the switch is tightly enclosed, it does give me a better chance of respraying.  However, as a backup, I am going to post the part numbers of  the switch and module to see if anyone knows where I might be able to purchase, if still available.  The switch in the picture is 4 places from the right side.

The switch number is 160393-8 (Phono Power) and the switch module is 703529-2.

http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif

Jerry

Jerry R.

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:05 pm

I've just tried Magnavox (Funai) for a replacement part for my older DVD recorder from 2006.  I wouldn't be expecting too much from them.  Your best bet would be to do an Ebay search periodically for a donor unit.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry R. on Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:21 pm

I'll send Funai an email and inquire.

Thanks,
Jerry

Jerry R.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:27 pm

Funai was not in existence when that instrument was built. You have much better odds of winning Powerball than you do getting that part from Funai. Your best bet is to find a parts unit somewhere.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top