hickok tube testers, whats the difference?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

hickok tube testers, whats the difference?

Post by willy3486 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:34 pm

I have the Hickok 600 tube tester, not the 600a model. It works great but it nas a few issues. The first is the case is missing. The other issue although I have a copy of the roll chart the actual roll chart and paper is missing. My question is what other models use the same roll assembly and chart and also what models use the same red case as far as size. I would like to get these two items before I go through the tester so if I had other models that have the same parts I can look for them as well.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: hickok tube testers, whats the difference?

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:45 pm

I'm afraid they are all different.
600 IS the model number. I don't know why they are so expensive, but, they are. I assume you are also missing the plate caps that plug in..
My version uses two tubes. A 5Z3, and, a 6BM8.
Original power cords are often rotten inside.
The Fuse lamp is also often on e bay. Get it. They will one day not be obtainable. Hickock made it clear that if one burns out, you must replace both of them....

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4539
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Hickok tube testers, what's the difference?

Post by Ed in W. PA on Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:29 pm

What in any ones opinion would be the most desireable model of Hickok tube tester for our hobby? Also I see on Ebay so many sellers of tubes advertising that their tubes were tested on a "calibrated" Hickok tester, how important is calibration in repair-restoration projects? Thanks, Ed.

Ed in W. PA

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2014-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:01 pm

I have a 648S that my step dad had in his TV repair shop. I think he bought it new. I've never done anything to it, and I'm sure he was too tight to have it calibrated or anything like that. I use it and my TV-7 and get along fine. I like the TV-7 for older radio tubes, and I like the Hickok for audio and newer radio and TV stuff.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:26 am

I have several tube testers. An Eicor 667 which somebody wired wrong, a Presision to test old tubes, And, my Hickock 600 to check the rest of my tubes..

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed in W. PA on Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:27 am

I now own three tube testers, a B&K 747, a Sylvania type 220, and a old Heathkit. I would like to up-grade to a Hickok, but there are so many models that I am in a quandary as what to look for and eventually buy. I will probably need to down-size my amount of equipment ( and miscellaneous junk ) in the next few years and would like to buy one tester that will do most tubes from the four and five pin tubes to seven and nine pin radio tubes. Thanks, Ed.

Ed in W. PA

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:35 pm

There is a tube tester web page that is dedicated to tube tester descriptions, I think it's called Padgett, don't quote me on that. There all basically the same as far as testing, Hickoks are mutual conductance, there are a few differences in upgrades, just like the TV-7s. The older ones were simpler, as they couldn't be precisely callibrated. The newer models replaced the set precision resistors with screw adjustable resistors for easier calibration. Both.TV-7 and Hickok use the same Hickok design. And if you look at the tube settings there almost identical except in setting the controls and startup settings.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed in W. PA on Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:43 am

How does the model 600A stack up, or is there a more versatile model? Thanks, Ed.

Ed in W. PA

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:11 am

Well, the 600A is both a mutual conductance, and,the other type. To me, that makes it kind of tricky to use. I have one with all the manuals, and, when I have to test tubes on it, I dread it.
Not all tube testers are both. I'll say this, all of them have both their good, and, bad points. I have one Precision that has a filament transformer, but the plate voltage comes off the mainn power line. I like the BK testers best.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:43 am

Bill Cahill wrote:I'm afraid they are all different.
600 IS the model number. I don't know why they are so expensive, but, they are. I assume you are also missing the  plate caps that plug  in..
My version uses two tubes. A 5Z3, and, a 6BM8.
Original power cords are often rotten inside.
The Fuse lamp is also often on e bay. Get it. They will one day not be obtainable. Hickock made it clear that if one burns out, you must replace both of them....

I guess my question should have been this. I know they have different layouts for the parts and such but Is there another model of hickok tube tester that uses the same case that the 600 I have fit in? Also is there another model that has the same mechanical movement for the roll chart assembly? Mainly I would like to restore it to the way it originally looked since it works. I think it would be a nice project. I think the ideal thing would be to find a dead 600 tube tester that is not worth repairing with a good case and roll chart assembly.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top