Happy moments

Go down

Happy moments Empty Happy moments

Post by Timaaay! on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:38 pm

Has anyone ever had a heartwarming moment involving our hobby? Just curious if you have any good stories about radio? Conversations with old-timers about the glory days? Have you ever used your ability to fix radios for a good cause?
Timaaay!
Timaaay!

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Happy moments Empty Re: Happy moments

Post by MinnesotaHam on Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:13 pm

I wrote the widow of someone who used to publish a small book on locating radio schematics in Riders based upon tube lineup. I was trying to find out if the books were still available. She called me on the phone and we chatted a bit. She was a grand old lady and she talked of her love for her husband and love for his hobby of fixing radios. She made me laugh when she said she always knew where to find him--at the bench with an upside chassis. That day was miserable at work--her phone call that evening was marvelous.

I had been in the hobby a couple years and given a couple radios away after fixing them. My sister never once expressed an interest old radios. Out of the blue, she blurted out to another relative wishing that I would find a radio for her. She has an older house and she felt a working antique radio would look good in her living room. That relative got back to my mom who got a hold of me. I filed a plan of action away. I found a Philco 60 being sold by daughter of dad going into assisted living. I restored the electronics and delivered the radio to my sis as a surprise. The look on her face was priceless.

MinnesotaHam

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down