Frozen Evaporator

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Frozen Evaporator

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:03 pm

Woke up this morming to the HVAC sounding it had emphysema. Got up and very little air coming from the ducts. I had called the A/C people last week and waited til Saturday for a tech to get here. He took the nozzle off my garden hose and ran water over the condenser and came inside and said it is cooling now. He couldn't understand why I wanted it below 81 degrees in my house and I couldn't understand what he was saying. Called the home warranty place and it will be Thursday before they send another tech. I specified to the home warranty place and they in turn specified to the A/C joint that I wanted another tech or the boss to see to it this time. God knows why they let the coolant out of the system.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Frozen Evaporator

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:09 pm

This is a bad time to have AC problems. I wish you well, stay hydrated!

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:45 pm

I had to leave the A/C off with the circulation fan on while at work. It looks like a nice juicy storm has just went through and dropped the temp outside from 93 to 71. I could live with a couple more nights like that.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:48 pm

The weatherman told us on tonight's weather that it was 93 here with 69% humidity. Not horrible, but still sticky.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:53 pm

I am a big fan of the dry cool, the dry cold and the dry heat. Humidity kills, unless you're paying for a steam bath.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:32 am

Ours use to do that and we had to have freon put in from time to time. There was a leak but the repairman never tried to find it. We finally had it replaced and no more freeze ups.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:45 am

We have a York central AC unit that was installed in 1977, still working. We have our AC guy come out twice a year to service the AC in the spring and the heater in the fall. He charges us $82 a year. We have money set aside to replace these aging units when they fail. It is only a matter of time. We bought this place in 2001 and the only thing we have done outside of filters and regular maintenance is the blower motor went out on New Years Day 2004 when I was going thru cancer treatment. We will not be able to buy this dependability for any amount of money when the time comes for replacements. We have a Rheem water heater that dates from 1977 as well. I put new stainless elements in it when we remodeled the house in 2009 just because, but the old ones looked and worked just fine still. It has always been on a softener, so it may outlast me.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:59 am

Water softeners are another racket. We had old clunkers in here before the remodel. Cheap, big box store items. I was constantly repairing them. They had proprietary, unobtanium parts that went on the fritz, necessitating total replacement. When we remodeled, we shelled out over $2500 for a Culligan system with reverse osmosis and the whole shot. I thought that to be obscene money at the time, but it has been worth every dime. Culligan service around here is expensive and not very dependable. They work on THEIR schedule not yours. I would do it again. We got a Culligan system in our house in AZ as well. Culligan service is still expensive, but lots more dependable in AZ.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:47 pm

Looks like the weather ain't going to hold out. Got a motel room til thursday.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:30 pm

75, I jinxed myself! Shocked

About an hour ago, the wife came out to the garage complaining it was hot in the house. I went out and checked the air conditioner. The compressor was running and making lots of noise. The condenser fan was not running. The air conditioning guy MIGHT get here tomorrow. Maybe. At this point, it looks like the motor went on the condenser fan. It only ran 40 years. I don't know yet what else is wrong. This may be the big one.......

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:48 pm

I just got a cryptic e mail from my home warranty service saying that my service request may or may not be covered by them and to call them at my earliest convenience, which is at 7am CST. This after a not cryptic email that they will only cover $10 per pound of refrigerant if I need any. If I need any.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:28 pm

Then about 30 minutes ago, I went into the bedroom to get clean clothes and stepped in water on the living room floor.  Further investigation revealed the ice was melting in the refrigerator.  Even further investigation revealed that the fridge was not cooling.  Even further still investigation revealed that we apparently had a blip in the power this evening, just long enough to mess up the digital clock on the stove and microwave.  Apparently, the power blip took out the AC unit and our refrigerator.  Tomorrow is going to be an expensive day, particularly the refrigerator.  Home owners' insurance is not worth a damn when this happens.  They will depreciate a 12 year old $2500 refrigerator down to about $300 if I'm lucky.  What will my 40 year old air conditioner be worth?

We have to keep a good thought.  Nobody got hurt, we have fans, we are not dead, so we get another shot at it.  Very Happy

I hope your home warranty comes thru for you, 75. We may both arrive at the poor house about the same time. Rolling Eyes

Wonder if we could start a "Go Fund Me" account?

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:05 pm

Man, I'm sorry to see your troubles. Maybe we could start a used Magnavox lot. Very Happy
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:43 am

And, Microsoft is demanding that I install Windows ten. Zoomtext ten isn't matched to it. I would have to pay The company a slightly reduced price of 200.00 to make it compatible with the Microsoft. Problem is, I had to pay a lot on my credit cards, and, I'm running out of money...

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:59 am

I'm sure Microsoft will be of no help with any of it too.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:05 am

I decided to call the home warranty place last night. After waiting an hour they said the repair folks were coming on thursday to replace the compressor and it will take 6 lbs of freon for $255. The freon is the may not be covered and compressor is the may be covered. It was nice to find out hat they were planning to do that work. I thought they were coming back because the last "repair" failed.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:12 pm

Our little "power surge" fiasco turned out better than it could have as well. The Whirlpool repairman came out, plugged the fridge back in, and the compressor came on and everything appeared to be okay. He got out his little scan tool for the computer and had a conversation with it. Apparently what happened during the power surge is this. There is a relay in the compressor power circuit whose job it is to protect the compressor during a "out of phase event." I had not heard this terminology before, but it means any interruption of power within five seconds of compressor cycling, on or off. The compressor just happened to be cycling during the power surge. The relay did its job in protecting the compressor. What Whirlpool failed to mention in its operators manual is that the power needs to be interrupted to the fridge for five minutes before this relay will allow the compressor to come back on. When I unplugged the fridge, I essentially fixed it. The relay reset and all was well. He cleaned the coils and did some other fiddling around while he was here, but the freezer is at -10 degrees and the fridge is at 41 degrees. He wants me to eliminate the ground fault interrupter to the fridge.

The AC system was almost as simple. The power surge took out the start capacitor for the condenser fan motor. This raised the head pressure on the compressor, its high pressure switch opened, killed the compressor, which also killed the blower due to high evaporator temps. No compressor, no blower, no condenser fan equals a dead AC unit.

Bottom line is the only damage so far is to my wallet. I am officially $208.31 poorer than I was. Both repair persons told me this was a fluke, it will never happen again in my lifetime. Nothing could have been done to prevent it, nothing can be done to guard against it that I'm not already doing. I have a surge protector on my meter, and I have a bonded electrical system. Old age of the affected appliances may have played a factor.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:20 pm

I guess it's all relative. That seems to be a lot cheaper than what things were portending at first.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:29 pm

The Good Lord was on our side today, that's for sure.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:17 pm

Not on mine. Checked out of the motel and went home to wait on the ac people. i missed a call from them on the way called them back and after 30 minutes on hold they said they wanted to if the home warranty told me about the cost for the refrigerant. I told them yes two days ago. they said now we can schedule your repair. I told them I was waiting for them to come this afternoon as they had scheduled and that the home warranty people told me they were to pick up the part this day and repair it this day. and I was yelling. they put me on hold for another 20 mins. and came back on to tell me they will be there tomorrow afternoon. 1 wasted day off and another night in a motel!
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:48 pm

I was going to ask your opinion of the service you received with your home warranty.  I now can save the trouble of typing the question.  You answered it.

I hope you get this straightened out to your satisfaction eventually.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:14 pm

The providers were swamped.  That's why all the hassles.  the total for the freon and the compressor replacement and disposal came to $365.  The house is slowly cooling off now, 1 degree an hour.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:09 pm

Sounds like you are getting back to normal.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top