Your next car?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Your next car?

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:12 pm

We need to get some action on this Forum which I love. OK, the question is what will be your next car buy? I will start by saying I don't like to buy cars, I like to hold on to them for years, not as many of some. I don't like repairing new cars (read that they are too complex) for younger years I have restored Porsches and early Mustangs but the body gives no joy now. In fact for me the memories of driving my 64 1/2 mustang convertible with a V8 and 4 speed was fun, at the time. It went well in a straight line, the steering was vague compared to new cars. The brakes were not very good.
As many here know I have a VW Jetta sport wagon, a delightful car but the diesel which does everything nicely including power and fuel economy is well, not appreciated by the EPA. Shame on VW for their tricks. So I will be selling it back to VW as they have not yet proven that they can meet EPA in the US. Not surprising as no one sells small diesel cars here other than them. I will be buying a VW Golf Sport Wagon with the 1.8 turbo gas engine which is exactly the same in size. We just like the handling and size. We don't need a larger car, the wife loves them for their handling and getting into small parking spots. She won't even drive her Camry.
What would your next car buy?

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Your next car?

Post by Tony V on Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:24 pm

I just recently bought my latest car purchase. Its a fully loaded Chevy Impala SS Indy Limited Edition with supercharger. Its the best car i've had in years and gets 26 mpg to boot which isn't bad for the size and power plant. I still have my 85 Mercedes Turbo Diesel which i'll never get rid of since it has been the most reliable car i have ever owned and still gets 40 mpg. All it needs is new paint.

Tony V

Number of posts : 596
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Davis on Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:04 pm

I'm loving my last buy (2002 Audi TT coupe) so much, I'd probably buy another one.
Greg Davis

Number of posts : 269
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:46 pm

Tony said:
Its a fully loaded Chevy Impala SS Indy Limited Edition with supercharger. Its the best car i've had in years and gets 26 mpg to boot which isn't bad for the size and power plant.

Your probably right I guess but that milage really sucks! Keep the Mercades please, it will no doubt not burn rubber but probably handles better. For me in my old age is a car that handles well and you can't beat the Germans. Greg, the Audi sounds great. Years ago (many) when we had a 911, the mechanic said to stay away from them. I'm guessing since the70s they now make a great car. I don't need 400 HP, just a car that is nice to drive. I get no thrill anymore going up an on ramp to merge with traffic that is only going perhaps 50 MPH on the freeway. Of course going from CA to AZ you can get up to 75 MPH or a little more, heck, that can be done with almost any car and run nicely at 80. The Camry is comfy like setting in your favorite chair. The VW is fun and it helps to set on a pillow, the seats are hard for 400 miles of driving.
Who else is looking?

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:48 pm

Last October, in a fit of sheer madness, I bought a 2014 Mini Cooper S hardtop. It only has 10,156 miles on it, so I have no idea what long term reliability will be like. This is the first non-GM car I ever owned. I am both impressed and depressed with the MINI. It goes like a scalded dog with the least provocation. The only vehicle that will outrun it from a stoplight is a Harley or a Chrysler Hellcat. It has 189 turbocharged horsepower pulling around less than 2600 pounds. It will be a constant struggle to keep little things squared away, such as the intercooler being mounted so low that every bit of road debris hits it, making it look junky. I have to jack up the car and comb the intercooler fins so it won't look old and beat. Someone should invent a screen to cover it. It is smaller than anything else on the road, save a Fiat 500 and a rickshaw. You have to be vigilant about water puddles. It will get sideways if you hit one deep enough and fast enough. I tell people that owning a MINI is like having a pregnant girlfriend. Fun to ride, but I'm waiting for the other shoe to fall.....

My next car will be another GM dog of some kind. Everything GM builds is awful looking. But it can be fixed and there is someone who can work on it. Probably a Buick Lacrosse or equivalent.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:07 pm

WC, enjoy your mini.  I might be looking for one although it just does not have enough room to carry a lot of stuff like we do when going back and forth from the two houses.  I'm guessing it is a ton of fun to drive!  Just like any other high HP to weight you do have to be careful.  The Porche 911 is a scary car to drive until you learn how to drive it.  We did a lot of venues from the PCA and got to know the car.  The wife set the record for the number of spin outs.  New ones are no doubt a lot better.  Our 1970 on a tight course loved to go straight when breaking hard or swap ends when breaking hard in a turn.  You just needed to learn what it liked.  Understeer to oversteer in a heart beat.  It would always go around a corner much faster than I would push it out on roads.  I need to drive a mini!  There is nothing GM or Ford I wish to have.
JerrY

PS: Make a cover for the intercooler, how hard could that be?

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:38 pm

The "hardest" part would be overcoming corporate stupidity.  They will void the warranty if I put a screen over the intercooler.  Something about interrupting the air flow across the cooler and radiator.  I'll just comb the fins until the warranty expires.  Then I'll do what suits me.

I would highly recommend a MINI if you are looking for a car that is fun to drive.  MINI makes a "big" MINI, you know.  The MINI four-door hardtop.  It actually has a back seat that adults can sit in.  Be sure you get a MINI with the BMW engine and not that old Citreon/Puegeot turd.  Get a 1.5L three or a 2.0L four.  I think the three is plenty, but I got the four and love it.  The ultimate MINI is the John Cooper Works MINI with 228 horsepower.  It is pretty high-strung, but boy will it haul!  I'll offer you the advice somebody gave me.  Don't drive a MINI unless you intend to BUY a MINI!  I did not believe it either!

If you are serious about a MINI, go see the boys (and girls) at MINI of Tempe.  Those guys have been great to me, so far.  You are familiar with the German car BS, so you should feel right at home.  I went in there one day to get Bentley his genuine MINI dog collar and the little gal at the reception desk asked me what I wanted.  I said a greasy cheeseburger and fries would be nice, maybe with some root beer.  In about five minutes, she came trotting back to the service waiting area with a greasy cheeseburger, fries and a nice cold root beer.  Courtesy of MINI of Tempe.  I was impressed. The folks at the Chevy dealer would have maybe told me where the closest Mickey D's was.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Conelrad on Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:46 am

+1 on the Diesel Benz.

'80 300SD
'85 300TD

Dennis

Conelrad

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2013-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:11 am

I just got a newer vehicle back around April. Its a 2012 Jeep Compass. So far so good. Its the first car since 1987 that I have taken a loan out on and boy has getting a loan changed. I felt like they were going to even ask what I had for breakfast. In a span of less than a month my mother in law died, then my wifes biological brother was harassing us over the estate, my Honda CRV died, I had to get a new vehicle, and my wife had to have heart tests that they may have had to do surgery when the tests were run. But things seem to be calming down. I drive the compass roughly 90 miles a day to work 4 days a week. I am averaging 29 mpg. So hopefully I can keep it going until I get it paid off.

Since the 86 cavalier I bought on loan in 87 I have tried to pay cash and get older cars. The CRV had got to where it acted up almost any time I got in it. I probably paid in repair bills in the year I owned it to cover a years loan in a newer one easily. The CRV was the most expensive auto I have ever owned when you figure cost per mile I got. So far the Compass is doing fine. It had about 36k miles and if I can keep it going to 200k I will have it paid off before it needs to be replaced.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:19 am

I can't drive, and, I can't afford a new car, but, my favorites are 1919 Ford touring car, and, 1928 Porter.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4523
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:15 am

Bill Cahill wrote:I can't drive, and, I can't afford a new car, but, my favorites are 1919 Ford touring car, and, 1928 Porter.

I had to look up a 1928 porter. It was on the show my mother the car from what I saw. Those older cars just last. I wish they still made them that good. I saw an old man back in the mid 80s. He came up to this old country store driving a 1933 Ford. It was all original. I got to talking to him and he said it was the only one he ever owned. He bought it right after he came home in WW2 and never wanted another one. I think all he said he ever got for it was tires, battery, and a water pump. He got in it and drove off. As far as new cars I have never bought one new, only used. The only reason I bought this one I have now is I had to have one. I usually save up and get one but since I got the CRV last year I didn't have any savings for one to ammount to anything. So We have our house and little bills I thought get a good one that will last. Hopefully it will. I would love not to have to have a vehicle and walk every where but here where I live you can't. The closest store is a mile away and no busses. If you need a piece of hardware its 10 miles to the nearest ACE. So car ownership here is a must.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:22 am

I don't understand how anyone can afford a new car. I saw a commercial for a Chevy truck the other day that offered 96 month financing. The first house I bought in 1966 was only $1500 and I mortgaged it for five years.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:00 am

Wildcat445 wrote:I don't understand how anyone can afford a new car.  I saw a commercial for a Chevy truck the other day that offered 96 month financing.  The first house I bought in 1966 was only $1500 and I mortgaged it for five years.  

This one I got had financing for 7 years I think. Its a 2012 model year so the original owner was the one to pay the most for it. With that said hopefully I can get it paid off within 2 or 3 years. We have our house paid off. We took a 15 year loan in 97 to pay off the 45k we spent building it. We got it paid off early. The sad thing is we added a 16x16 room and a porch on the back a couple years ago and spent around 20k to do so. Our daughter hopefully will get out of college in Dec so after that we will have 500 a month we no longer have to pay on her rent. I will use that to pay off the car.

I was talking to a fellow and he was talking about this other fellow who had money and said to invest in gold. I told him I wouldn't take any advice from him. He asked why and I said that even though he makes more than we do look at how he spends it. I said he has owned about 4 or 5 new cars in 10 years, he has had 4 houses in that time as well. He also bought up a bunch of gold a few years ago then sold it when the bottom dropped out. I told him you can't get ahead constantly spending money you don't have. I told him I built my house in 97 for 45k and it was appraised at 250k when they came through appraising for the road. I said I bought used cars then drove them until they died. I said I have everything paid off. I told him that is how you get ahead. I like you don't see how anyone can justify 96 month payments on a vehicle. MY wife and I try to save up for what we want, not take on new debt. The car I bought bugs me but I hope to get it paid off quickly.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Davis on Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:50 am

New car financing certainly has become kinda scam-like. 96 months to pay for a car? Yes, I hold onto cars longer than that, but when your financing greatly exceeds the warranty, you're in a bad spot.

The most recent car I bought on financing is my wife's 2012 Altima. I got 0% financing for 5 years, so there's no particular incentive to pay it off early. We also got $1500 taken off as an employee discount (the company I work for has a discount deal with Nissan) in addition to the cash back offer they already had going at the time.

In short, the way I do it involves timing the purchase to maximize the manufacturer provided deals, then layering on additional discounts and financing incentives. It still ain't cheap, but at least you don't feel like you've been taken to the cleaners.
Greg Davis

Number of posts : 269
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:48 am

I have a neighbor, nearly 80 years old, who paid cash for a new Ford diesel four door truck with 4 wheel drive and all the bells and whistles.  Just a tad shy of $100,000!  For a Ford pickup. He was offered 96 month zero interest financing.  He could have put that money into a house, rented the house, collected the rent and paid off the truck with the rent money.  And have a decent tax deduction all the while.  The sales tax on that truck would almost have bought my MINI.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:36 pm

+1 on the Diesel Benz.

'80 300SD
'85 300TD

Dennis

Dennis, just be happy your MBZs are a little older and don't have to meet current regulations. I love diesel cars but doubt there will ever be many offerings in the US on small engines. I liked yours when you stopped over in Sedona, nice car.
Best, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Conelrad on Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:32 pm

You're alright, Jerry.

I don't care what they say about you! Very Happy

DDG

Conelrad

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:25 pm

Dennis and Jerry, do you guys remember the Benz 240D? Quite possibly the toughest piece of equipment ever built, including Caterpillars. Slow as pond water and leaked from every joint, but they would run until the second coming.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Conelrad on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:46 pm

I'll go ever one better...I pushed a '61 190D pontoon body for years till the rust let all the floor fall out onto the road. But it still ran, even with the impossible 4-speed on the tree.

Dennis

Conelrad

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:36 am

I'd forgotten about the 190D.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:28 am

My Benz is a 300D which looks identical to the 240D. I don't know what the difference is between the two. The turbo or options maybe? Heres a picture of mine for those who want to know what these look like.

Tony V

Back to top Go down

Post by Conelrad on Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:41 am

Your car is a 123-body sedan. the 123- series was built in the sedan, coupe, and wagon styles.

240=2.4L four.  Factory turbos were rare in later years only.

300=3.0L.  Naturally aspirated Diesel in the 70's, re-designed and turboed in the late 70's up to '85.

So, 240D was a Diesel, a 280E was a 2.8L fuel-injected (einspritz) gas engine.

The 450SE 6.9 was a "S" class sedan with a really big V8, fast sonofabitch!

DDG

Conelrad

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:10 pm

Thanks for clearing that up as i have always wondered.
Tony V

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:39 pm

It was my understanding that all the 300 D's were five cylinder turbo diesels.  So the early ones were naturally aspirated, huh?  See, I learned something.

I worked with a guy who had an old beat up 450SEL with the 6.9.  He left in beat up for a reason.  He could kill 5.0 Mustangs with that thing.  Scary fast for a big car, or any car for that matter.  As I recall, it had some kind of exotic hydraulic suspension, sort of like a Roller......

Were the 190D's really 1.9 liters or was that just a model designation and it had a bigger motor.

Did not VW/Audi use a five cylinder turbo diesel in their 5000 series cars at one time? And do I not remember a Lincoln Continental equipped with a BMW diesel for a time?

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Conelrad on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:43 pm

A friend of mine had a converted 380SL with a 6.9 in it. Too much fun, ate a LOT of others' lunches...

My 190D was closer to 2L than 1.9. No turbo dead slow but gave over 40 MPG in a 4-door car.

Dunno 'bout Audi or Lincoln Diesels.

DDG

Conelrad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: