Is there really global warming?

Go down

Is there really global warming?

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:18 pm

Not political but dang we set new records here in So. CA at our condo and power went out in many areas including ours at 2 PM and 102 outside a record. Off until 3 AM not a lot of fun. They are blowing out power transformers either old or never designed for the power load. Checked our place in Sedona on the internet and 105, that broke a record set in the 30s.
I'm thinking about buying a place in Alaska, cold is good "cool" you can dress for it. Hot is just dang uncomfy. The poor people in So. AZ, who wants to live in 120 degree temps? Don't park your car outside.
We just stay inside and go for our walks after dark. It least it cools down. In Phoenix, there lows are in the 80s. Crying or Very sad
Try to stay cool where ever you are.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Is there really global warming?

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:42 pm

There is partial global warming going on right now around here. Temp is 97 with 66% relative humidity. The record high temp in Phoenix is 122. That was in July 1990.

Stay cool, Jerry. Ain't there a swimming pool where you live?

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5164
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:49 pm

WC, the pool is about 50 yards away from our front door. It is filled with screaming kids! We need to hit it early while the little rats are still asleep. The seem to come out of the places like roaches. I never knew we had so many. The must bring a lot of guests.
When it gets down to about 90, we will go back to Sedona as we need to pick up a few more things.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:05 pm

Seems like everywhere I go, there are screaming kids, so I feel your pain.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:08 pm

My father bought a place in the hills of Arkansas. It would get nice and cool of an evening and the living was cheap, too. Did yard work last weekend and the sun got me. I get little 1 millimeter white blister like things on my skin that hurt like shingles. the doctor said it was sun poisoning. I call them 'pops'
75X11

Number of posts : 4894
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:56 pm

75, I'm not certain which is worse, screeming kids or something like shingles which I have not had but understand you don't want to have. I guess I will take the kids!
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:59 pm

If you have ever had a cold sore, you have had a shingle. In quantity lots, Kids are better! You are a good guy letting them swim.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:59 pm

Jerry, I don't intend to be nosy, but what has Volkswagen decided to do with its diesel cars with emissions problems?

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:06 pm

W/C, the final proposal is suppose to be to the courts for approval on the 28th of this month. It appears doubtful that any of the earlier (a couple years old) will be economically capable of meeting emission standards and perhaps all of them. It looks like some and perhaps all will be bought back from the owners based on a blue book value prior to revealing the emission problem (value has nose dived after). It is also speculation that something like $5000 will be added to the blue book value.
It is unclear as too renewing the cars license or registering in another state if one moves. It is clear that VW can no longer sell new ones in the US.
Our dealer in Flagstaff keeps us advised of what they know which up until now has been really nothing. We will no doubt go with the trade in and apply it towards the Golf Sport wagon with the 1.8L turbo gas engine. From the exterior, the same car as the Jetta wagon we have.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:47 am

I wish you well with that, Jerry. I hope you come out of this without losing any money, too.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:45 pm

I'm trusting in VW's handling of its US customers as they have a large presence here. They are certainly doing a lot of advertising on TV. I doubt there will ever be anymore small engine diesels offered in the US with their strict emission requirements. They are working on the Europe units and seemed to have a fix for them which is in the works. Their requirements are easier to fix (read lower). Other manufactures overseas of small diesels have also been found to be outside emissions for over there.
I'm not certain there is any hope for manufactures for small diesel engines anywhere and get the performance and fuel economy and meet imissions.
As far as I know VW is the only small diesel sold in the US. I really like the car for size and economy. I will go for the "same car" with the small gas engine and suffer the 45 to 50MPG on a cheaper fuel.
It is interesting to figure out how the trucks/pickups with larger engines manage although they do use a urea injection system to help.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:59 pm

There are gasoline engines now with turbocharging and direct fuel injection that put out similar horsepower, with similar economy as diesels. I believe you will see diesel engines period put on the back burner. I believe within five years you will see large displacement, (12 liters +) spark ignition engines burning compressed natural gas (CNG) replacing diesels in heavy, over the road trucks. The emission regulations on diesels is cutting horsepower and fuel economy. There are city buses already burning CNG. Diesel pickups will be dinosaurs in a short time, due to cost, complexity and exhaust fluid silliness. I know of one major trucking fleet running 50 trucks powered by CNG. I'm not sure if they are converted diesels or new spark ignition engines built specifically to burn CNG. The only practical use I see for diesel long term is off road and perhaps train power.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:02 pm

That's what our buses run on. They do sound like diesels.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:28 pm

When I was a kid I lived in Memphis. I remember it being about 80 and sitting in a chair. I wasn't moving and sweat was all over me. Then when I was about 5 we moved to Tuscon and I saw the weatherman say it was 105. I thought it would cook me alive when I went out but being just from Memphis it felt great, no humidity. It was a "dry heat" as they say. We then moved back to middle Tennessee area where my parents were from. It felt great most of the time ,not too hot in the summer and not too bad of humidity. Now 40 years later here in Middle Tennessee it is hotter and more humid than I remember in Memphis as a kid. I was out cleaning around the place and had to stop about every 10 minutes before I passed out. I drank a 2 liter bottle of water in no time. ITs hot and humid in these parts now.

As far as autos my CRV give out a while back. The head gasket got a leak and they found it after they fixed everything else except the head gasket I asked them to look at as I thought that was the issue. So I had to get a new one. My wife has had good luck with her Jeep Liberty so I thought I would try a Jeep this time. They found me a Jeep Compass at one of their other dealerships. its a 2012 and runs great. I am not use to the suspension being so stiff. I will hit a bump and think is that the transmission acting up then I realize its the suspension. One thing I like about it the engine sound it makes when you speed up reminds me of the whine of a Trent engine. Nothing is wrong with it, thats just the sound it makes. I love the sound a Trent engine makes on a jet when it takes off.

They say when it rains it pours. My wifes mom passed away on Easter, the my crv acted up ,then I had to get a new car and then my wife had to go into the hospital to have her heart checked out and they was going to put in stints if she needed it right then. All the while her "dead to me brother" as she called him was acting up apparently wanting all the estate. Fast forward to a few months to now and things seem to be working out. My wife was fine and did not need stints. Since then she has only one time her heart acted up due mainly to the BIL. They went to court and the judge put a 3rd party over the estate. He seems to be a good fellow and lawyer who wrote the will and was my wifes lawyer in court knows him. The lawyer told the judge she wanted the 3 acres around our house as we have almost no land. Her "brother spoke out that the land was worth 200,000 an acre. Her lawyer said fair market value and the judge agreed. They both looked at her brother like he was a idiot , land in this area averages between 3500 and 5500 an acre. From what we think will happen we hope to work with the new excutor and be able to buy a few items in her moms house, the stuff which is junk in the barn so no strangers will get hurt is why we want it and the land. We will let him know if he allows us to buy it we will get a loan and pay for it asap so it will be ours legally. Then pay off the loan when the estate is settled. Anyway thats the latest with us.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1424
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:36 pm

While it is being hot out, when I have to spend any time outdoors, I use these or the sweat runs into my eyes. I first saw and used these in a steel mill calibrating their scales. they work great and can be washed out and used again and again.

https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Sweat-Bands-25-Pack/dp/B006JFMSNC/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1466811159&sr=8-1&keywords=sponge+sweatbands
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:00 pm

I worked cleaning the garage most all day. I had three fans running, so it was not too bad. We had a cool front move thru and that dropped the temps and humidity a bit. They are calling for rain, which we could use. We have spots in the back yard that the grass is getting brown. It is still warm enough that a person needs to be careful to not get dehydrated and/or overheated.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:22 pm

I know people tend to disregard the humidity's effect in the hot weather, but when it is low one can cool off some in the shade. When it is high one can't catch a break anywhere, except inside in the A/C. I can get cleaned up after yard work, but try to wash clothes in my uncooled garage and I am sweatin' like a Tennesee Williams patriarch in 3 minutes flat!
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:04 pm

I know, off topic but W/C asked.  The court seems to have approved VW's approach to their problem on diesels.
Here is the short version, we will probably hold on to ours for another year then go for the buy back.  We will probably be on the low end of the "bonus" as the Jetta is a low end of the offering. Thus far VW has not come up with a fix that meets EPA emission standards and if they do, it certainly raises the question as to performance and milage post fix.
Jerry

FIX OR SELL

Owners have until late 2018 to decide whether to sell the vehicles back.

The deals would move VW close to the 16.2 billion euros ($18 billion) it has set aside to cover costs of the scandal.

But spending on buybacks could be much less if regulators approve fixes and owners opt for repairs. Most owners will get $5,100 to $10,000 in compensation, including the pre-scandal value of the cars, documents filed on Tuesday said.

The company expects to begin buying back vehicles in October, when a U.S. judge is expected to give final approval to the settlements, and is to start proposing fixes in November.

Last edited by jerryhawthorne on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add a note on "fix")

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:16 am

Thanks, Jerry. I assume that all vehicles they buy back will be destroyed?

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:18 am

No WC but can not be sold apparently unless they are fitted to meet emission standards where ever they go. Again, I doubt they will be able to meet US emissions without serious performance problems. They should have a lot of body parts to sell anywhere! Perhaps fitted with changes could be sold in Europe which has accepted emission changes to the cars there which are not as tight has here. They are already refiting cars over there.

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:47 pm

When we get that South Eastern summer time humidity we head for the mountains. The temp drops 10 to 15 degrees when you get up on the Skyline Drive! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:07 pm

If you've got'm, use'm! Very Happy
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down