ARF PMs Not Private?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

ARF PMs Not Private? Empty ARF PMs Not Private?

Post by RadioNut39 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:58 am

To those who won't know what I am referring to: Earlier today I posted a controversial
video (link) regarding a Marine who some considered a Patriot.
It was deemed Too Political for Alan & ARF, and was summarily DELETED. NOT PC!
A member asked for the link to the "Patriot" Video, and I provided it to him via a PM.
You can imagine my shock, when upon reviewing the PM to him, that the LINK had been BLOCKED , and in it's place : "Political Comments are not permitted." Shocked
WOW. Shocked

RadioNut39

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Back to top Go down

ARF PMs Not Private? Empty Re: ARF PMs Not Private?

Post by Uffda on Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:14 am

Hmmm. The only legit explanation I can think of is if you copied the vid link from the ARF thread into your PM after Alan blocked it. If anyone is monitoring member's PMs, there will be holy heck to pay.

-Phil

Uffda

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by RadioNut39 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:23 am

Uffda wrote:Hmmm. The only legit explanation I can think of is if you copied the vid link from the ARF thread into your PM after Alan blocked it. If anyone is monitoring member's PMs, there will be holy heck to pay.

-Phil

No, Phil, I did not. I'll try it again.

By the way, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bggXQxhyo4s

RadioNut39

Back to top Go down

Post by Uffda on Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:43 am

OK, it is blocked in my PM. I think Alan has some kind of computer magic that if he kills a link it cannot be transmitted through any ARF space. I doubt he can actually look at our PMs, but that still seems kind of rotten to control private content by any means. Of what concern is it to him if it is a personal message?

-Phil

Uffda

Back to top Go down

Post by RadioNut39 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:51 am

I can test that...The same video is under different names and Links.

Your theory was correct,

Apparently the 1st link to the Patriot VID was killed within ARF's entire system- affecting both The Clubhouse (Which was it's intent), but also in the PM Box(es).

A second link (and different name) to the Same VID , does work.

Last edited by RadioNut39 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:18 am; edited 2 times in total

RadioNut39

Back to top Go down

Post by exray on Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:03 am

Uffda wrote:. I doubt he can actually look at our PMs,

-Phil

I can say with 110% certainty that he does ' review' PMs when some sort of controversy arises. That was a very key point in his decision to ban me from ARF and he doesn't deny it.
exray
exray

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by exray on Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:08 am

RadioNut39 wrote:I can test that...The same video is under different names and Links.

Your theory was correct,

Hi, Nutt.

I'm seeing a string of asterisks where I think I should be seeing something else. Has this forum also censored the link?

-Bill
radioexray@gmail.com
exray
exray

Back to top Go down

Post by easyrider8 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:26 am

From Alans post on ARF

Alan Voorhees
Site Admin

Private messages are not publicly viewable. Everything posted on this site, public and private (with the exception of your password which is encrypted) is viewable by me. Private messages are not directly viewable, but they are stored as plain text in the database, which I have access to, so they could possibly be seen by me. This is all spelled out in the site Privacy Policy which is linked to at the bottom of the page.

After a link to the video in question was posted a second time, it was added to the word censor list to prevent further attempts to re-post it. That's when I discovered the second post was a different URL and realized it was pointless to try to list every URL that linked to every version of it and gave up.
easyrider8
easyrider8

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Eliot Ness on Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:25 am

I'm not sure about ARF, but most other forums I belong to make it clear, at least in the fine print, that PM's can be monitored. An exchange of e-mail addresses to discuss controversial subjects is always a better idea.

John
Eliot Ness
Eliot Ness

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Timaaay! on Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:07 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKFKGrmsBDk
Timaaay!
Timaaay!

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by RadioNut39 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:17 pm

easyrider8 wrote:From Alans post on ARF

Alan Voorhees
Site Admin

Private messages are not publicly viewable. Everything posted on this site, public and private (with the exception of your password which is encrypted) is viewable by me. Private messages are not directly viewable, but they are stored as plain text in the database, which I have access to, so they could possibly be seen by me. This is all spelled out in the site Privacy Policy which is linked to at the bottom of the page.

After a link to the video in question was posted a second time, it was added to the word censor list to prevent further attempts to re-post it. That's when I discovered the second post was a different URL and realized it was pointless to try to list every URL that linked to every version of it and gave up.

RED HIGHLIGHT : What the heck does that mean? Is'nt that a contradiction? Or am I missing something? scratch
OK, so Alan has the Right to do so...(similiar to a Landlords right to enter a tenant's apt. - BUT WHY would the Landlord look in a closet? or Read my mail? WHY would Alan EVER think it NECESSARY to go in and specificly view Member's Private Messages to each other? scratch

Addendum: In all fairness, I am posting Alan V.'s Response on ARF :

" ... Sigh ...

Just because something is technically possible, doesn't mean it's done. I have better things to do than to sift through database entries and match up record numbers with snippets of text with the goal of trying to piece together what someone wrote to someone else.

"Private" means your message is not posted publicly, not that it's somehow encrypted when it's stored in the database."

Last edited by RadioNut39 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

RadioNut39

Back to top Go down

Post by RadioNut39 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:18 pm

Timaaay! wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKFKGrmsBDk

THAT is GREAT! cheers

RadioNut39

Back to top Go down

Post by Timaaay! on Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:20 pm

I'm honestly not sure what is considered political and what is not at ARF. Case in point: There was a thread about the switch to digital TV and a member wrote that "with the Government coupons, it isn't costing us anything."
I replied that "on top of the 3 billion already spent, the stimulus bill has an additional 650 million to cover more coupons." That was deleted as being "political". I wasn't trying to be political, just pointing out that it WAS costing us money. I reworded it to say something like " It's not free, it will cost us money as taxpayer dollars are being spent to fund it." This was also deleted as being "political"
The last thing I wanted to do was be "political" and the fact that it was viewed as being that way is not within the scope of my understanding. I apologized to the moderator and now I don't post anything there except for some advice on how to troubleshoot something.
Either I'm not smart enough to understand the rules or I truly don't see things as being political that are viewed that way by others. In either case, I thought it better to not post there as I don't want to offend others.
I still fail to see what the political undertones of my post was, but perhaps someone could explain it to me if you have any ideas. I'm not being wise-guy here, I'm looking for an honest opinion.
Timaaay!
Timaaay!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:54 pm

I'm sure the owner or administrators of a forum can look at your PM's if they want to. Moderators can't see that, but I think administrators can. So your so-called private PM's aren't so private after all.

Back to top Go down

Post by RadioNut39 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:46 am

Timaaay! wrote:I'm honestly not sure what is considered political and what is not at ARF. Case in point: There was a thread about the switch to digital TV and a member wrote that "with the Government coupons, it isn't costing us anything."
I replied that "on top of the 3 billion already spent, the stimulus bill has an additional 650 million to cover more coupons." That was deleted as being "political". I wasn't trying to be political, just pointing out that it WAS costing us money. I reworded it to say something like " It's not free, it will cost us money as taxpayer dollars are being spent to fund it." This was also deleted as being "political"
The last thing I wanted to do was be "political" and the fact that it was viewed as being that way is not within the scope of my understanding. I apologized to the moderator and now I don't post anything there except for some advice on how to troubleshoot something.
Either I'm not smart enough to understand the rules or I truly don't see things as being political that are viewed that way by others. In either case, I thought it better to not post there as I don't want to offend others.
I still fail to see what the political undertones of my post was, but perhaps someone could explain it to me if you have any ideas. I'm not being wise-guy here, I'm looking for an honest opinion.

THANK GOD! Shocked I thought it was just me... Smile Exactly...The word is ARBITRARY.
As in, "based on or determined by individual preference or convenience rather than by necessity or the intrinsic nature of something"... "existing or coming about seemingly at random or by chance or as a capricious and unreasonable act of will".

I think it's based on whether or not a moderator or Alan likes you or not...? It's bizarre.
In my own case, I don't mind being controversial, I have some non-conforming and
unconventional views on many things-from the existance of ghosts to The New World Order. Oh welllll, that's just me. Rolling Eyes I think all you have to do is strike one wrong chord about SOME subject that rubs the Administration the wrong way, and you are essentially "flagged". (ala XRAY ). This may not even be a conscious decision! Or maybe it is...?
It is clear to me that not everyone is treated the same. Some are given HUGE "slack"-while others are not.
Some things are judged "political" if written by one person; SAME thing written by another is not political- again, the ARBITRARY decision.

Case in point : SIXMILLION DOLLARMAN posted:"Stolen registered letters with Payment":
And JG Jackson jgj6331 responded: jgj6331 wrote:
SIXMILLION DOLLARMAN wrote:
......Now, since mid January, since Hussein Obsama is elected and
the LAW & ORDER president George W. Bush is gone, I lost
3 letters of about 7 inbetween 20 days.
I lost payments in total from more than 100,- US$..........

I don't believe the results of the US election had any bearing whatsoever on the loss of your money - with the current administration, your money will only be stolen if you are a productive, tax-paying citizen Laughing . ***********************************
AND I responded:

Hahaaha Laughing

OK, Now Wait a Minute, here! While I fully appreciate the humor - IS'NT THIS POLITICAL ?!

I Guess it really is, as Panther Dan Stated: "On this Forum we live under a benevolent dictatorship."
Things I never thought were political when I Posted, I was later informed, WERE.
This Post is apparently NOT considered Political.
Perhaps if a spoonful of Levity is added...to help the medicine go down?

I am NOW thoroughly Confused!

NOTE: Absolutely nothing against Mr. Jackson. It IS humorous.

RadioNut39

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:19 pm

This discussion is OK as far as it goes. Complaints are OK, but rather than discuss them here, please settle it with the individual involved. There are too many viewers on the Web looking at our site here. I don't want to see this forum get a black eye, or reputation of somthing that isn't conducive to goodwill. This forum is Here to create a friendly atmosphere for old radio topics in general, and not a place for backbiting. (No insult intended.) But we need to support each other, from all. JMHO
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by NTW138 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:12 pm

I agree with Resistance is Futile.
This Is a Matter to Exploit in the other forum.
No need to bring this chicken Little, Sky is falling crap here.
it's just better to admit you were wrong ,than carrying on with cheap excuses in both forums.

i
NTW138
NTW138

Number of posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Timaaay! on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:34 pm

NTW138 wrote: No need to bring this chicken Little, Sky is falling crap here.
it's just better to admit you were wrong ,than carrying on with cheap excuses in both forums.

Wow! That's kind of harsh. If you weren't 98 years old, someone might just call you out on that. Very Happy
Just kidding. I think we can disagree without being disagreeable, can't we? After all, we're all brothers (and sisters) in radio. Let's just pause, take a deep breath and ask ourselves- WWMD? (What Would Marconi Do?) Wink
Timaaay!
Timaaay!

Back to top Go down

Post by easyrider8 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:36 pm

NTW138 wrote:
it's just better to admit you were wrong ,than carrying on with cheap excuses in both forums.i

First of all was it wrong? Did you view the "You Tube"? You saying it was wrong is "your opinion" and should be clarified.

Accusing a member of using cheap excuses is bordering on "personal attacks" which you seen to find acceptable, and a post about Patriotism you find unacceptable.

I think were are mature enough here to carry on a discussion, as said , without being disagreeable.

Dave
easyrider8
easyrider8

Back to top Go down

Post by NTW138 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:35 pm

I admit that was Harsh of me to put like that,I was wrong to say it like that , I apololgize
i just wrote and ran, Didn't edit what i should've and didn't add Also.
I watched the video 3 times also Looked up Some elements I heard,
Some here should also ,I thought the Video was a joke at first And that was Some Liberal making fun out of some other's ideals .
But people like that guy ruin it for Us guys Who really have the plan And have had enough and we won't be wearing facemasks like him when we rise above, Maybe Pork Pie Hats and Oven Mitts
Had no place at ARF ,No politics Means No Politics,sensible or Warped Still wrong To post there No two ways about it.
I also Thought it was funny how the guy used Part of the Skull And Crossbones as his mask,Coincidence Or just My own brand of Conspiracy Theory?
For More laughs , google "Alex Jones" "Bohemian Grove" or not.
http://www.ualist.com/video/profile/illchemist07/
They will be selling Hankerchiefs at the door cheap for those who need them
NTW138
NTW138

Number of posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by easyrider8 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:16 am

It is nice to see how easily differences can be resolved.....and we don't even need any moderators.

Dave
easyrider8
easyrider8

Back to top Go down

Post by Timaaay! on Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:04 am

In the immortal words of Rodney King: Can't we all just get along (island Iced tea) Laughing
I trust that no person with an education above the 4th grade would actually believe anything Alex Jones has to say. ..Aliens are abducting people, with the approval of the Government, World leaders get together to worship a demonic deity and sacrifice children, George Bush took-down the towers on 911, and so on. Even Ron Paul, who Jones gives support, calls Alex Jones a "wacko" and has called his 911 theory "utter insanity". But, that's free speech, covered by the first amendment. Although we may not agree with him, I'd fight for his right to say it.
Timaaay!
Timaaay!

Back to top Go down

Post by exray on Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:54 pm

Oftentimes the effort of trying to squelch opinions creates MORE problems than the opinion itself.
Alex Jones is a classic example. Anybody who has listened to him can see that he is not, umm, well-centered. But any effort to remove him from the airwaves would result in many people like me and Timaaay who would vehemently stand up for him.

We are mostly adult people who can separate wheat from chaff and don't need a third party to protect us from hearing/seeing/reading things. Thats basically un-American and creates a lot of unnecessary resentment.
exray
exray

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:31 am

I did watch the video and I didn't see where, there was anything that was out of line, I do agree with Him, that our civil rights are being eroded,

Here In Seattle, the powers that be want to make smoking illegal in Condos and Apartment buildings, I personally am thankful, that I saw the damage that smoking, causes, (Having been an Ambulance attendant in the Mid 60s) and the needed cleaning of Naval Electronics equipment aboard ships from cigarette smoke.

But no one should have the right to come into a condo without permission and write a citation to anyone in thier own abode for smoking. But some others think otherwise.

And the same on assisted suicide in our State, No one should have the right to take there own life, or assist others to do the same.

We live in a society that is trying to destroy the protections that our constitution affords us by using deceptive methods to undermine, our protections. The Bible says men will be deceived by thier own hearts, into thinking that what is good is bad, and that which is bad is good.
Part of that is the dumbing down of our impressionable school age children by ridiculing religious freedoms, and not teaching the real reason our country became a Republic, not a Democracy.

There is more, but suffice to say we are our own worst enemy, when we delegate our rights away, by silence.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by Uffda on Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:55 am

Just google: "Are you awake?' patriot

Then check out the links. It is not a rhetorical question. It is the code phrase for the true believers to identify one another.

-Phil

Uffda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next