Memorial Day Weekend

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Memorial Day Weekend

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun May 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Or "Decoration Day" as my grandma used to say.  A time to remember those who have fought for our country.  And to be grateful for their sacrifice.

Also a special day for a Hoosier.  The 100th running of the Indianapolis 500.  Although no Novis are running, this should be a good race this year.  The frau barbecues chicken and makes her signature 'tater salad.  We are having fresh-picked, right off our tree, cherry pie.  You all have a great day.

Memorial Day is actually tomorrow on the 30th.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Memorial Day Weekend

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun May 29, 2016 5:57 pm

A rookie, Alexander Rossi, won the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500. I hoped that Helio Castrovenes would win his fourth race, but that was not in the cards for this year. It is appropriate that a rookie would win the 100th 500 mile race. A rookie won the first one in 1911.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Mon May 30, 2016 1:05 am

Ya all have a great Memorial Day and remember those who gave the most for our freedom. As for the Indy 500, I can't think of anything more dull than watching people running around in an oval for 500 miles! The Isle of Mann motorcycle classic running is coming up soon. Watching clips of previous races is something to scare the heck out of you. Now that is a real test of skill and courage (stupidity).
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 732
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon May 30, 2016 10:47 am

Have a great day. Alone, today, but, my nurse came by to say my leg wraps are working. Swelling is going down on my legs.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon May 30, 2016 4:12 pm

Jerry, I guess it is what you are accustomed to.  Back in the day, it was traditional to plant corn on "Decoration Day."  Even if dad and grandpa were done planting otherwise, they saved a few acres so they could plant corn on Race Day.  My job was to fill the corn planter with seed and fertilizer, keep gas for the tractors handy and to monitor the radio, listening to Sid Collins and Sam Hanks call the race.  Grandpa would park his Buick under a big maple tree at the edge of the field and I would listen to the race, being careful to start the engine on the Buick once an hour or so, lest I run the battery down.  Mon and grandma listened to WIBC on the old Grunow 1191 I still have to this day.  Grandpa wanted me to keep up with Jim Hurtubise and Lloyd Ruby piloting the Novis, and dad like "J.R. Hoyt", (A.J. Foyt to everybody else!).  Mom liked Sam Hanks and Mario Andretti.  This was a big deal in our family.  The cousins and in-laws arrived after the race and we ate barbecued chicken, potato salad, and all the trimmings.  Race Day in our family was second only to Christmas for family getting together.  "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing" was its moniker.  It was far from boring.  I have listened to, or watched on TV every Indy 500 since 1955, my first year monitoring the Buick radio.  I could tell you all the drivers, their car monikers (Belond Exhaust Novi Special, et al) the car numbers, what kind of power it had and its position on the track.  I kept charts.  I was "Mr. 500" in my family.  This is still a special day for the wife and I.  She is from Michigan and never really gave two hoots about the 500 until she married me.  Grandpa put her straight one Sunday at dinner.

After we had all eaten until we could not move, we would pile into the bed of grandpa's International two ton truck and take flowers and such to the cemetery to remember loved ones passed, especially those who had been in the military.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon May 30, 2016 4:40 pm

I remember the race was always in the background, and WFBM's color broadcasts from the speedway. I moved 4 more barrow loads of soil to the depression and sowed seed and watered it well with soapy water to give the seed a head start. Got sunburnt and got some crab legs to steam for supper.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon May 30, 2016 4:48 pm

75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue May 31, 2016 10:51 am

Tom Carnegie was the track announcer for eons. Jim Nabors traditionally sang "Back Home Again In Indiana", but is no longer doing that. A children's choir from Indiananpolis and some goomer who had won a TV contest of some kind did that song this year. It was very good.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:54 am

The first Indy 500 race was won my a guy named Ray Hurron or something like that. I read a race car book as a kid and still remember the story of the first race. At that time there were two in the car, a driver and a mechanic. The mechanic was mainly used for telling the driver if he could move over and who was around him. during the preperation of the race Rays car was weighed and it was over then weight limit with him and the driver. So they drilled out parts of the frame and took anything off the car that wasn't needed. He was still overweight. The car got the knickname of the Swiss cheese flyer due to the holes. One morning while he was still trying to figure out what to do he noticed when he was shaving he noticed he could see behind him. So he got a piece of mirror and cut it to fit on a frame that he mounted to his car. He came in under the weight but there was an uproar over it. He almost wasn't allowed to race but eventually was. He went on to win the race.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:41 am

It was Ray Harroun in the Marmon Wasp.  It's on display in the museum there.  I know a lot of the old racers there but couldn't tell you who runs these days.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top