Restoration on Magnavox Stereo Model 1ST616

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Restoration on Magnavox Stereo Model 1ST616

Post by 75X11 on Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:31 pm

That's going to look great. Many do not do the sanding and finish work that makes it look like the item you want to select in the high price furniture store. Cheap Magnavox stereos pulled down quite the bux, too. These were status symbols!
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:54 pm

Thanks for the kind words, 75.  I may have said this before, but this is a lot of work for a $1 stereo.  I'll have over $400 hard money in this before I'm done.  And, so far, 68 hours of labor. I figure I'll put in at least another 20 hours by the time I get the electronics done. We use to figure 100 hours on the body work and painting a Packard!

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Consider how much $400 will buy at a gentlemens club, then you have nothing. With the stereo you still have an excellent performer to keep afterward.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:27 am

I don't regret a cent or a second I've spent on this. This is truly a rescue from the dumpster. It does not get much better than this, providing it is successful, of course.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:28 pm

It looks great! Better than original in my opinion. Nice job!
Tony V

Number of posts : 615
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:00 pm

Thanks, Tony. I'm not sure what "original" looked like. I have never seen a color picture of a nice one. The factory literature is a drawing and the only other model like this I have seen was worse than mine. There may be some "artistic license" taken with this project.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:08 pm

It's good when the "theatre of the mind" is presented on a nice stage.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:00 pm

WC, money well spent and a lot of entertainment for all of us. If you spent it at a "gentlemans club", well, we probably would not has as much fun as you. A few great dinners and well you would just put on a little weight and the rest of the meal would go you know where.
We are enjoying the journey.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:07 am

Thanks, Jerry. I'm happy to share this journey with you guys.

Going to a "gentleman's club" is not my cup of tea.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:31 pm

It is raining here today, so not much can be done outside. I got some quality bench time in with my two "new" multiplex adapters I received in this morning's post. They both need the usual tune-up and one needs an alignment. I need to get my little Heathkit scope tuned up for the task. I learned something while I was messing with the MPX adapters. I had done a fairly thorough alignment on the AM band, so I was listening to the radio while I worked. After about an hour of playing, the AM faded slowly away. Nothing but static. I shut the tuner off, let it stand about 15 minutes, then turned it back on. It played, and it also faded to static in about another 15 minutes. I decided to test the tubes, particularly the 6DT8 and the two 6BA6 IF amplifier tubes. I had tested the tubes on my old TV-7 and they tested good. This time, I used my Jackson 648, which has a "Life" test. The life test merely lowers the filament voltage to the tube under test. If there is an appreciable drop in output, it may be assumed the tube is nearing the end of its useful life. This test is subject to considerable reliance on past experience, and is not totally accurate, but I have been able to sort out weak tubes that would otherwise sneak past undetected. These three tubes failed the life test. I replaced them and really brought the AM band to life. I'm surprised how well it works in this fringe area on the little loopstick antenna on the tuner. Now I need to align FM to achieve the same result. These little six tube tuners are really finicky on how they are tuned. It is hard to get them dead on the station, especially when using an MPX adapter. That operation is next, I guess.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:28 pm

Always learning something.  Id've not guessed that test function.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:17 pm

Relying on the readings on a tube tester is an exercise in faith. We have all run across tubes that test good, but don't work properly and tubes that test weak that still perform just fine. I typically test tubes by substitution if one tests good, but I continue to have a problem and I suspect the tube as the culprit. The life test feature on my Jackson tube tester is actually more appropriate for TV tubes than for radio or audio, due to the load the tubes are under. Weak tubes typically cause more problems in TV than in radio or audio. Tubes are not typically "driven" as hard in a radio as in a TV. Heat may also be a factor that plays into the equation. A "life" test on a tube lowers the filament voltage by 10% or so. If a tube has questionable emissions, this test will find that. The test has saved my bacon on numerous occasions after I pull my hair out trying to troubleshoot a problem over and over with the same result----the thing still won't work right. The original 6BA6's in this tuner were made by Sylvania and the 6DT8 was made by RCA. They test good, until you do the life test. I used a Tung-Sol 6DT8 and Delco (GE) 6BA6's. I learned something else today, although quite off topic. I was under the impression that RCA made ALL the tubes for Delco Radio. Apparently this is not always the case. I had two NOS, new in the box Delco 6BA6's, both made by GE in the 23rd week of 1960.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:26 am

Compannies always used the cheapest suppliers they could find. Generally, this was done with tubes that didn't pass the factory test.....

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:49 pm

It has been too hot to work in the garage the last two or three days. If it ever cools off enough to work, we are all set to start "color" sanding the finish. Stand by for cooler weather.....

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:51 pm

That's something I'm looking forward to as well. The cooler weather that is. Mr. Cat does the burn each supper time.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:56 pm

My wife took the speaker boards to "The City" today to get the cloth replaced. None of the three shops wanted to mess with those boards, partly due to not much of a job money-wise and they did not want to be responsible for breaking the "Magnavox" script or the little red jewel for the pilot light. It is a fortunate that those shops do not get involved in auto restoration. Those speaker boards are a walk in the park compared to some of the procedures necessary to repair car interior. No problem, the wife and I discussed this previously. I shall do the replacement myself. This is not a strong suite of mine, so this will be a learning experience. Stay tuned.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:34 pm

Piece of cake.  I would wager your wife could help steer you through that portion. To heck with the shops.  The only thing they do when they turn down work like that is give birth to more people who can do it themselves and won't call them for the profitable jobs.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:42 pm

These folks' series have episodes dealing with various types of upholstery in addition to furniture resto/pair. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XDpmfMAAwI
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:16 pm

Yeah.....Thank God for YouTube.  I had not seen that specific video, but I have seen others.  The wife says no big deal, but is whining something about "how do I always get roped into this stuff?"  Do we forget about having to wire up the cucumber plants at 1 o'clock in the morning to keep the wind from beating them up in a thunderstorm, dear?  How hard can a little starching and ironing be?  Jeez....... Rolling Eyes

I'll be taking pictures, either to document the restoration, or to use as evidence for the defense.  Embarassed

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:56 pm

Does she feel that way when you need help listening to the stereo?  Very Happy
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:04 pm

I told her the other day that I was going to swap this one for her daily driver when I got it done. She is still not happy about that. Hers is gonna implode one of these days if I do not get it serviced. She'll get over it. She is always happy to help, she just wants me to fully appreciate and recognize her contribution. Without which, I might add, this project would not be possible....... Cool

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:44 am

The inside of the cabinet is painted brown.  An almost unmatchable brown.  Nothing I found on the shelf quite matched the color.  I did not want to have to drive a couple hundred miles to a paint store that could computer match the paint.  So I decided to cheat.  I examined the paint carefully, in a good light, and found that it was not really in bad shape, but was stained and had crap all over it.  First, I tried lightly rubbing the paint with 0000 steel wool, but that proved more aggressive than I liked.  I tried 000 steel wool and Simichrome, which worked better, but was still too aggressive.  I then tried Simichrome and burlap, which worked much better.  The Simichrome is just abrasive enough to remove the gunk without removing paint.  This method actually worked out pretty well.  The motor board was especially nasty.  I don't know what was on it.

Dirty:

After cleaning.  Very respectable.

This is the board that hold the tuner in the cabinet. It cleaned up with Windex and a terry cloth towel.

There is a sticker on the back of the cabinet with instructions how to find the balance control.  This sticker refused to stay stuck.  I had to get rough with it.

The grille cloth was still in good shape, just dirty and beginning to come unglued at the edges.

The LH speaker board with its dress off.  I was amazed at the amount of dirt built up in the grille cloth.  After the cloth was removed, I used a single-edged razor blade to scrape off remnants of glue, dirt and particles of cloth so the new cloth would stick properly.

Here is the reason the professionals in "The City" did not want to mess with replacing the cloth.  

Although I believed that the professional upholstery guys let me down, I learned that they had good reason to not want to be responsible for the medallion and the pilot lamp jewel.  Here is how they are mounted to the board.  I had to cut the black ends off the medallion, then wiggle the jewel to persuade it to leave its happy home.  The cardboard tube for the pilot lamp just sticks in a recess in the board.

Removing the jewel for the pilot lamp was the toughest part of the whole project so far.  That baby was really happy where it was and did not want to leave......

I was being really careful.  So, naturally, I broke it!  The jewel flew across the shop into never-never land.  But I had a plan.  I had cleaned the shop thoroughly.  I emptied the shop vac, cleaned out the filter, and started sucking.  I heard the jewel go up the hose.  Sure enough, there it was.  I got lucky.   Shocked

I was able to fix it.  Here it is sitting on the platform of my drill press with its medallion and lamp sleeve buddies, all well and accounted for.

The old grille cloth.  I'm going to save it.  

Speaker board cleaned, wiped with mineral spirits, ready for glue and fabric.

Here I start flying by the seat of my pants.  I have no idea what I'm doing.  I spread Elmer's white glue on the board, ready for fabric.

I had the cloth pre-cut, starched, ironed, nice and flat to remove any wrinkles.  Then I let the glue tack up well.  Then I up-ended the speaker board onto the cloth, laying out on our kitchen island.  My plan is to put eight 1/4" staples in each piece of cloth, just enough to keep it stretched until the glue dries.  Then I'm going to cut the black burlap, remove the staples in the under cloth and staple both cloths  to the board.  I have no idea how this will work, but it looks good so far.

Poor people have poor ways.  Fortunately the frau had been shopping and we had plenty of new weight around!  So far, so good.
We'll do the burlap in the morning, hopefully.

I used my Simichrome cleaning method on the rest of the brown paint inside the cabinet. That will be sufficient for this project. I am so upside down in this little cheap stereo that I need to stop someplace. I already have more time and money in this thing than I do my Concert Grand. I just wanted it "better." I always get carried away. I'm having a ball. I have caps ordered for the filter caps in the MPX adapter and a couple other things still to get. I hope it will be cool enough in the next few days to finish the sanding and that on the cabinet.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:48 am

A couple of points I have found from working with later grille cloth installs, The cloth is usually treated with some form of "sizing" to give it some inherent stiffness and prevent sags.  Sometimes a small amount of adhesive is applied to hold the cloth in position and inhibit the distortion caused by exposure to humid conditions.  If you see any evidence of these where you remove your cloth, consider replacing them.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:52 am

Sorry, I didn't see The start of your re application of the cloth.  It looks good and correct.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:48 am

It still looks good this morning.  I will need to trim the cloth considerably.  I wanted plenty for "what ifs" and screw-ups.  I believe my problem in the past with doing this was that I was afraid to stretch the fabric sufficiently, and I did not use enough glue.  I took my time with this project and that seems to help as well.

Although it seems "acoustically transparent", the cloth I used was not speaker grille cloth. It is backing for dresses and that. I used this fabric to help with stiffness of the burlap. I was advised to use backing with burlap by an old Russian woman who does upholstery, and, in fact, was one who refused to do the grille cloth for me. She seems to know her stuff when it comes to upholstery and is nice enough to answer my questions. She was afraid of the doodads on that one speaker board, with good reason as it turns out.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top