Restoration on Magnavox Stereo Model 1ST616

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Re: Restoration on Magnavox Stereo Model 1ST616

Post by 75X11 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:35 am

Burlap adds bulk and strength and allows air flow.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:00 pm

Before I do the burlap, I'm going to make sure these boards with the new covering will not be too fat to go where they as supposed to.  Magnavox got skimpy with grille cloth for a reason.  I hope it was for the benefit of the bean counters.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:12 pm

A starker look was popular during that period.  I'm sure they would have "pumped up the volume" had style dictated. Very Happy
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:57 pm

I got the burlap on with no problem. My wife decided to have pity on me and help my struggles. She helped me cut out the burlap, about three inches too big in every direction. Then she measured the boards exactly, doubled the burlap and sewed a seam like you would hemming trousers. This should make the burlap stronger and not ravel so badly. It sure went on slick. I ran out of 1/4" staples, so I used 3/8" which is really too long. I flattened them with a small ball peen hammer when they were too long. I got the Magnavox emblem back on, but I broke my pilot light jewel again. I had glued it with Elmer's then I remembered a thread that you, 75, started about using cement rather than glue. So this time I used model car cement. That should work better. After I get that squared away, I'll be ready for speakers. The two big speakers can't be installed until after certain other components go in, but the small speakers can be cleaned and put back on their boards. I will have to replace the crossover caps, but that is straightforward. The batteries died in my camera, so no pictures yet, but I'll get some. I like the monochromatic look of the black burlap. My wife says she will trade this one for her daily driver. This I gotta see. Shocked

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:39 pm

Cement always works better with their appropriate plastics.  they form a bond that is plastic to plastic as opposed to plastic to glue to plastic.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:52 pm

You need a sewing machine and know how to use it if you intend to fool with burlap.  It is real aggravating stuff to work with unless you know what you are doing. You need to starch it, steam iron it, seem it and keep it flat.  I was fortunate to have been on the "good husband list" or this project could have gone south in a heartbeat.  I gotta give credit where it is due.  My wife saved my butt on the grille cloth project.   Embarassed

For someone who "could really not care less" in "working on that old thing", you sure put lots of effort into this thing, my dear. Shocked

I was not in trouble for making a mess in the kitchen, either....... affraid

I am getting ahead of myself a bit.  Before I can install speakers, I need to finish the work on the cabinet.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:54 pm

The sanding and polishing work has begun.  I worked three hours and have only the top rail of the cabinet done.  This is a similar procedure to rubbing out automotive urethanes, and absolutely as time consuming.  There are less flat surfaces compared to a car body.  I have used 800 grit in some areas, but primarily 1000 and 2000 grit wet sandpaper.  I use a top-secret polishing method after the 2000 grit, followed by a coat of Johnson's paste furniture wax.  The reason I want to keep that procedure top secret is to allow me to see if it will work successfully on the entire project.  If it does, I'll pat myself on the back.  If it does not, nobody will be the wiser.

I can say with confidence that my refinishing procedure, followed by a sanding procedure, followed by a polishing procedure, followed by waxing has 99.9% duplicated the milky smooth finish on my Concert Grand.  So far, I am well satisfied with the result, far exceeding my expectations.  This is a lot of work to put into a $1 stereo.

There was an "owie" that we found during our sanding procedure that we had to attend to.  It will be spring before we can further process that spot.  We let the finish cure three weeks, and that is not really enough.  The bomb would have been to spray this cabinet and let it set all winter, then buff and polish it in the spring.  There is no hazing or anything like that, even in this killer humidity.  That part is good.  I can see why the old radio guys shun polyurethane.  If you are doing a "spray and go" this will not work.  If you want to accurately reproduce the smooth, milky feeling of a genuine hand-rubbed Magnavox finish, this is a recommended procedure to use.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:07 pm

I'm sick of rubbing on this cabinet, so I'm gonna pronounce it done.  As good as it's gonna get.  The more I rub at this point, the less satisfied I am with it.  I have an old saying pertaining to auto restoration.  "Perfect is good enough."  This is project is not perfect, but I have to stop someplace.  There is a point of diminishing return, and I've reached that point.

I will now put the speaker grilles back in and assemble the cabinet.  I have work to finish on the electronics, so I guess that is next.  

I have learned a lot.  I tried something new and succeeded.  The old Magnavox stereo is definitely in better shape than when I started.  I have had a ball.

One fact I learned is be careful with the jewel for the pilot light. That thing is a problem yet. I can't seem to fix it and make it stay fixed. I will be looking for an acceptable work around for that. If one of these things breaks, you're in trouble. I really had no choice but to remove it. I don't know what I could have done differently.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:24 pm

How about a red LED for the pilot?
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:57 pm

I never thought of that. The pilot light is a 6 volt #47. My wife suggested using one of the jewels from her ceramic Christmas tree. I like the LED idea better.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:01 pm

I like your wife's idea.  I always go with my wife's ideas as it keeps us both happy!
Time now to try to get my tug boat back in the lake.  A boat I built from scratch (r/c) it took some new batterys for the transmitter and receiver and a couple 6V batteries that are normally used for emergencies light systems.  Slightly smaller than those used on a motorcycle.  A boat I built about 35 years ago from plans from the smithsonian which has a lot of plans lifted off of old boats of many years gone by.  An old coffee table of maple we were retiring and a plank of wood and a lot of saw dust.  Now if I can get it to the lake here and put it in the water, it should work well.  It's a lot heavier than I remember in my younger years.  It works in out pool but just too narrow to turn it around.
At any rate, go with the wife.  I always do and sorry to digress.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 734
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:39 pm

I have pictures taken, but have not got them downloaded yet. I will, though, I promise.

I also promised to reveal my top secret second step. Simichrome and burlap.

I wanted something more glossy than sanded with 2000 grit. Something not as glossy as polyurethane straight from the gun. I did not want to use rottenstone on poly. I wanted this to be a sanded, "hand-rubbed" job. I experimented with different compounds that I had on hand. Polishing compound, rubbing compound, some 3-M stuff I had for car paint. Nothing worked exactly like I liked. I had a tube of Simichrome laying there after polishing some trim. For grins, I tried that. Almost. Then I cut a pad made of burlap and tried that. Bingo! Exactly what I was looking for. Poly that looks "milky" like the original finish. I had sanded with 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 and 2000 grits, followed by Simichrome and burlap, then a good coat of Johnson's paste wax.

I need to mount the MPX adapter to its spot before I can do much more. Then it comes back out to finish cabinet assembly.

I tried one more time with fixing the jewel. So far, so good. I need to develop a firm plan to replace it, just in case.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:38 pm

I have some pictures for you guys to look at.

I learned something putting the speakers back in.  First, the fabric is slightly thicker than factory, so the speaker boards fit tighter than they did.  I had to remove the small speakers from the board to install the left hand large speaker board.  And, one should epoxy the speaker bolts to the board to keep them from turning.  I cross-threaded a wire nut for the speaker and had a deuce of a time getting that righted.  I'll know better next time.  AND....I am gonna rig up power tools of different types to do the rubbing work next time.  I will be able to get more consistent results with less work.

This picture shows the dreaded Magnavox script and the pesky little pilot light jewel.  I'm kinda proud of this part.

There is buffing and sanding "mud" on the surface still, I need to install the felt runners for the sliders, felt bumpers for stops for the lids, finish and install the electronics, and find some place better to take pictures. It seems I either have too much light or too little in my shop. Sorry about that one blurry picture. It looks worse posted than it did on my camera.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:43 pm

W/C, that is looking great. Very nice job and of course as a Magnavox it should sound great.
jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 734
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:31 pm

It looks great! I like the grill cloth. It contrast's good with the light finish. Definately better than original. Nice job!
Tony V

Number of posts : 648
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:36 pm

Thanks, Tony.  Very Happy

I like the black burlap as well. If you work with burlap, be sure to starch the waddin' out of it before you try to work with it. The stuff is like trying to push a rope if you don't. My wife starched it then use her steam iron to make it almost stiff. It is laying nicely and I hope it will be okay longterm. It sure sets off the cabinet.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by ronclack on Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:27 pm

Hi,
I'm new to the group and I really like what you have done with your Magnavox, very nice.
I have one just like it and in similar condition to yours when you started. mine is a 1ST6160R, s/n 1145877.
Can you post a photo of the schematic on the inside, the number is El 1740-1, Mine is almost illegible and I would like to get a new one in there?
I really appreciate your postings, It gives me inspiration to restore mine.
Thanks

ronclack

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2017-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5