Labor Day

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Labor Day

Post by 75X11 on Sun May 15, 2016 2:36 pm

It was Saturday. I had got my sister a air conditioner for her room for her birthday (67) and I put it in first thing. Got it up and running and went home to do a little bit of yard work. I wanted to cut away some surface tree roots that has been an impediment to my mowing. That was fun. All the bigger roots had dark tunnels in the center with inch long reddish ants that poured out and wanted to get all over me. I had to get out the ant spray to hold them down while trying to hack them away. I concentrated on the surface "knuckles" and trusted to mother nature to dispose of the outer underground portions. After doing much of that, I thought I would loosed up the soil in a high portion that I had used for burning. The "dirt" in that area was red clay fastened together with a net of small long nylon roots. I had, therefore to continue with the pick ax I used on the other roots. I made 4 wheelbarrow loads of dirt to put in a depression in the yard 15 ft. away. That was about all I could do. I'm hurting pretty well today.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Labor Day

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun May 15, 2016 7:32 pm

You did a lot of work in a day. Sore muscles come with the territory sometimes. I have been painting all day, and I'd be willing to wager that my hands will cramp so badly that I may have trouble eating supper.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon May 16, 2016 3:40 pm

I was right. Ibuprofen is my friend. Very Happy

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon May 16, 2016 4:22 pm

My lower back is hurting pretty well today. A while after buying this house, I had the derelict pool in the back yard demolished and the solids buried as back fill. one area over that portion had settled into a depression. and I am filling it in to level it out.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue May 17, 2016 12:25 pm

I'm fortunate in that I don't have a lot of back problems, and that Ibuprofen works well for me. I don't try to work hard enough to hurt myself, and that helps, too. It is raining again, so my painting project is on hold pending better weather.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue May 24, 2016 3:47 pm

I got out yesterday and did some more earth moving. I am filling the depression pretty well. The exercise must've done some good too. The high place is not lowering very well yet. There are loads of roots throughout the soil there. The pick ax is getting easier to work with, too.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:01 pm

I have since taken much of the soil I took up and filled 2 depressions in the yard. the first I seeded on Memorial day and the second the next weekend. each are have greened up mighty well and I put some more fill in seed down in the thin areas. I have 2 lush areas in a yard that is about to croak from the drought we are currently enjoying. I can't water the yard wholesale because they check the usage rates and catch yard waterers.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top