Sad Days At Work

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sad Days At Work

Post by 75X11 on Fri May 13, 2016 8:21 pm

It looks like my little friend, Mr. Cat has cashed in his chips.  I saw him for a little bit last Thursday and not since.  It was around 10 years ago when his mom brought him and his 2 baby brothers out to play out back here.  When I'd see him he would hiss at me and he was so funny and cute I'd just laugh and he took to greeting me with a hiss just to say hello.  I'd get him and 1 brother that hung around cans of cat food, and Mr. Cat, just a kitten would walk backwards, blocking me, hissing and mewing, trying to shake me down for his supper, as I would take the food to feed him.  It was hilarious.  If I didn't have the food with me, I'd have to go inside and get it and as an older cat, he would sit outside the door and hiss like a mountain lion, never meaning any harm. He was one of my best friends.

75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Sad Days At Work

Post by Conelrad on Fri May 13, 2016 11:07 pm

Hopefully Mr. Cat will return.

Perhaps he just needed some time somewhere else.

Our ferals come & go, sometimes for days on end.

Dennis

Conelrad

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2013-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri May 13, 2016 11:19 pm

I keep checking. This has been a while. Thanks.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat May 14, 2016 1:33 am

Cats are independent creatures. If he has not been neutered, it is possible that Mr. Cat is out looking to pitch some woo with a future Mrs. Cat. It is that time of year, you know. We will keep a good thought for Mr. Cat's return.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon May 16, 2016 4:27 pm

I think he is gone. He looked like he was having some trouble with his teeth in recent times. They say that is usually what gets an older feral cat.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon May 16, 2016 4:46 pm

Sorry for your loss, 75.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon May 16, 2016 7:15 pm

Thanks.  It's been all good.  On my walk this evening I saw this cat that used to hang around with Mr. Cat. It's scared of me but comes to see if it can get anything to eat.  It just sits and stares like this...

75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Conelrad on Mon May 16, 2016 10:53 pm

That is one good-looking cat!

Dennis

Conelrad

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon May 16, 2016 11:02 pm

It's mighty spooky though, that pic was from 40 feet away. Any closer and it's gone.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue May 17, 2016 1:43 am

We have a female cat who adopted us years ago. She only likes my wife. Cats are funny. I have tried every trick I know to bribe that cat where she will like me to no avail.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Conelrad on Tue May 17, 2016 1:46 am

You just don't smell good enuf to her.... cat

Rub old fish on yourself and see what happens!

Dennis

Conelrad

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue May 17, 2016 8:23 am

Animals that don't know you generally will respond favorably if you lower your hand, and, let them sniff it.......

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 17, 2016 8:32 am

Bill Cahill wrote:Animals that don't know you generally will respond favorably if you lower your hand, and, let them sniff it.......

I know that usually works with dogs.

I think it's fun to watch the different personallities of cats and dogs. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue May 17, 2016 9:33 am

Wildcat445 wrote:We have a female cat who adopted us years ago.  She only likes my wife.  Cats are funny.  I have tried every trick I know to bribe that cat where she will like me to no avail.  

Get a bag of those temptations things. I think they have them at big lots. They're about 1/4 inch square. That'll make you a special person in no time. Mr. Cat used to jump up and catch them in the dark under street lights when I would toss them to him.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 17, 2016 11:09 am

Get a bag of those temptations things

The cats love those things! We get them at WalMart and they are $8 for a 1lb. box!

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue May 17, 2016 11:38 am

Conelrad wrote:You just don't smell good enuf to her.... cat

Rub old fish on yourself and see what happens!

Dennis

Dennis, at my age it seems like I smell like old fish more than I used to..... Rolling Eyes

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue May 17, 2016 12:06 pm

Very Happy
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed May 18, 2016 6:21 am

MEZLAW wrote:
Bill Cahill wrote:Animals that don't know you generally will respond favorably if you lower your hand, and, let them sniff it.......

I think it's fun to watch the different personallities of cats and dogs. Very Happy

My friend Ruth has a cat that is just like that, and, I made it my friend in just a few seconds. I also find horses are much the same way..

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed May 18, 2016 6:23 am

Bill Cahill wrote:
MEZLAW wrote:

My friend Ruth has a cat that is just like that, and, I made it my friend in just a few seconds. I also find horses are much the same way..

Of course, it doesn't hurt to be holding a carrot in the other hand, either.
Heh. I thought that only rabbits and, humans liked Carrots.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed May 18, 2016 8:17 am

My favorites are dogs but I will be good to cats as well. A few years ago while the state was forcing many of our neighbors to move there was a influx of stray cats. One reason I think was some folks left their cars or that they were strays that went to their houses. Being strays they may have been skiddish and would not be able to be caught easy. One elderly lady here had lots of cats and I suspect most were hers. She wound up going to the nursing home and never came back home. Her family wound up settling on a house for her in town she never got to live in.

Anyway there was this one cat that took up with our place. My wife and her mom called it scarry cat since it would not get close to anyone. It would hang around close to our cats when I fed them and then come eat with them when I left. I noticed this and I would put a plate close to the area he was at and put food in it for him. After about a week it did not run off and I could stay in the area. Over a few weeks it got to where I could be putting food in the plate and he would come over. Each day I would attempt to win its trust more. Finally I was able to pet it after a month or so. Then after this I only saw it a couple of times more. The last time I saw it I put some scraps in the barn he stayed at. I have no idea what happened to him.

Around the same time of the state comming through buying houses a stray dog showed up. It was a small one and since our other dog died I though this would make a nice one. I never could get closer than 5 feet from it. It would growl at anyone. Its fur was matted up and someone had not taken care of it. I also wonder if someone abused it and then dropped it in my area which happens a lot. The last outside dogs I have had have been strays or products of strays in this area. Anyway one day I saw this small dog in the road and it had been hit. It seemed like a sad dog and had never known anyone to care for it.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed May 18, 2016 11:33 am

We had an elderly lady in our community who had feral cats. When she passed, several of the neighbors got together and set out live traps. We caught the cats and took them in to the free vet clinic and had them spayed and neutered. Our feral problem came to an end. Most all of them got tamed and adopted.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed May 18, 2016 12:02 pm

Wildcat445 wrote:We had an elderly lady in our community who had feral cats.  When she passed, several of the neighbors got together and set out live traps.  We caught the cats and took them in to the free vet clinic and had them spayed and neutered.  Our feral problem came to an end.  Most all of them got tamed and adopted.

Around here feral cats don't last long. We have been over run with coyotes in the last few years. The tame ones we have and others seem to be smart enough to go to the barns overnight.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue May 31, 2016 8:16 pm

I went out for my walk this evening and Mr. Cat was laying on the generator stand where i usually feed him. He is skinny as a rail. He must've been ill, or something. He really looks poorly. I gave him my supper as I didn't have anything else for him. I hope he is able to show up tomorrow.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:40 am

75X11 wrote:I went out for my walk this evening and Mr. Cat was laying on the generator stand where i usually feed him.  He is skinny as a rail.  He must've been ill, or something.  He really looks poorly.  I gave him my supper as I didn't have anything else for him.  I hope he is able to show up tomorrow.  

We have had a few cats like that. Has he been neutered? Some of the male cats we have had left for a while to find a mate then come back later. When we had them neutered they never left.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:36 am

Yes, he was neutered when he was 3. They had a program where they would catch cats and neuter them then they would snip off the tip of their drivers side ear.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top