Are there any Windows Media Player experts here?

Go down

Are there any Windows Media Player experts here?

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed May 11, 2016 7:50 pm

I'm having a problem with Media Player that is not supposed to happen. It has doubled and tripled my music files in each folder, but not all of them. Some are still okay, some are doubled, some are tripled. For instance if Marty Robbins has 40 tracks normally, now he has 120. Or 80. Or it may be okay. Most of the tracks I select are "not available." The files in "Library" are still okay. I can't manage my music this way. So far, the Microsoft website has been little help. This has to be something simple. It was okay when I shut this computer down last fall. Something about starting it up again has caused this issue. Any ideas?

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5015
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Are there any Windows Media Player experts here?

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed May 11, 2016 8:47 pm

I have found that if I am REALLY patient and keep clicking on topics long enough, I will eventually come cross something that works. "Troubleshoot and Repair Windows Media Player", believe it or not. I have no idea how I found that or how to get back to it again to link it to this thread. I appears to have worked. Some kind of something with my Library Player was corrupted. I may have learned something, but I do not know what it was or how to used it again. Geez.......

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed May 11, 2016 9:14 pm

I was a tad precipitous. It's doing it again. It was back to normal until I clicked on a song to play it. At least this time the files are only doubled, no triples. I give up. I now have two busted computers. One is so slow you can't use it and the other one I can't use for what I need it. I don't know what to do and it appears that nobody else does either. One has been to two repairmen and in the shop for three weeks. It is doing exactly the same as it was when I started.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed May 11, 2016 9:37 pm

I apologize for my last post. I was ready to commit a mortal sin. It's better now...

Why my wife gets upset with me because I can't fix computers is beyond me. She knows more about this stuff than I do. When one of these things hiccups, all hell breaks loose.

I may have fixed the slow computer. I moved the router slightly and repositioned the " wireless adapter" on the slow computer to another USB port. It seems better, at least to her. When I tinker with something broke, no matter how insignificant the result, she feels better, like I have actually DONE something.

The Media Player problem is ongoing. Better, but ongoing. I'll keep trying for a fix......

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed May 11, 2016 10:03 pm

I don't have the info with me, but go on the bing search engine and enter how do i stop music files duplicating with windows media player windows 7. There is a default in the player that you have to shut off. til you do, WMP will copy each song each time you show it to the computer.
75X11

Number of posts : 4581
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed May 11, 2016 10:04 pm

Once you shut off the default, it will only copy files when you "rip" them.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed May 11, 2016 10:08 pm

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/stop-duplicate-on-windows-media-player-12/3c99e70c-2a44-4299-8b50-6a1c657dd91c?auth=1
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu May 12, 2016 12:37 am

The last link you posted deals with adding files to the library. The odd part about my situation is that the files are right in the library. They are only wrong on Media Player. Here I go talking like a pro (which I ain't) but the library is where the files are stored, Media Player is how I manage them. I ran a correction program that Microsoft recommended and I thought at first it was fixed. Then I opened a file to play the song and something changed back to the double files again. There are plenty of suggestions on how to keep from doubling files in the library, but little on actually having the problem only in Media Player. I checked the settings suggested in the link and found them to be as they recommended.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu May 12, 2016 1:12 am

I think the correction program only removes the duplicates, but does not stop the player from laying down the duplicates. Usually in practice any time you use a file or play a CD the player will automatically re enter the music. if I had a CD ripped to the player, and reinserted it, the player would piggyback each cut over each time it was inserted.It would show a single CD with 4 of each cut, for example.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu May 12, 2016 1:34 am

I rebooted my computer and now the files are not doubled. About half of them are gone. The good news is that I have my files backed up on an external hard drive. The bad news is I'm scared to even plug the hard drive in for fear of doing something stupid and losing my music off the EHD. There should be some way to restore the files using the information that I backed up, but this thing has me running scared. My computer guy wants nothing to do with Media Player or music files in general.

Let's look at this logically, like I was working on a car, not a computer. There has to be a logical solution to this. We back up our information in case something stupid happens. By what I read, this is not an unusual situation. I'm lucky it has not appeared before now. They say I cannot just delete my music folders and start over. How about opening the hard drive and right clicking "restore." Won't that restore the files like they are on the hard drive?

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu May 12, 2016 8:35 am

I keep most of my music files on flash drives. That may be an option to keep a straight reference of your files while you re do your external drive and drive. I'm not sure that a restore will extend to your files on an external hard drive, but it may be worth a try. I have not used a external hard drive, just flash drives serving the same function but for specific purposes such as picture files, music files and data files. There have been occasions when I have made a mistake in organizing my files on the C drive, and it was good to have the flash as a backup.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu May 12, 2016 8:54 am

I use my external hard drive as a backup.  I only use it really twice a year.  When I leave for the winter, I backup my music so I can take it with me.  Then when I get back home, I add anything I did during the winter to my master files on this computer.  Looking further into this, if I get into documents then into libraries and choose music, my files are all there and okay.  Just the libraries in Media Player are not right.  I have cured the double files, but it also killed about half the library.

I'm sure part of my problem is nomenclature. I'm not using the proper terms for things. You say you use your flash as a backup. Just HOW do you use it for a backup? Why could I not use my external hard drive, which is still okay, for a backup? And, in so doing, can I mess the information up on the EHD somehow?

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu May 12, 2016 8:59 am

That's what I keep saved on my flash drives then I can delete any incorrect files, or all of them and replace them with the backup. I can also have them with me to use in other computers.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu May 12, 2016 10:36 am

I have just been online with Microsoft. They remotely accessed my computer and determined that WMP is corrupted. They want $149 to fix it, maybe. "Advanced Diagnostic Techniques" they call it. I call it a scam. A ripoff. They built the damned software, and this is a known problem. Now they want money to fix their screwup as far as I'm concerned.

75, let me ask how you replace corrupted files with good ones off a backup drive. And if I connect my EHD to this computer and open it, can something with messed up WMP corrupt those files?

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu May 12, 2016 11:22 am

I am aware that people might not be interested in my whining about a computer problem. There has to be a lesson in this. There is also a good reason why Bill Gates is one of the richest men on earth.

Microsoft has the solution to restoring my corrupted Media Player files. They want to charge for the solution. They accessed my computer remotely, and I'll be willing to wager they recorded the session for diagnostic purposes. They work on the fix, bring the customer up to the "almost" point, then want to bump them for money to get the actual repair. I called my computer guy to get his input on this issue. He got online with Microsoft and actually got the solution for me. It is four steps. He believes that will restore my corrupted files. Microsoft has an issue with Media Player in this regard. I am a fan of WMP because it is simple and effective. When it works. Being Microsoft is much like being in the toilet paper or the grave digging business. You know there will never be a shortage in demand and that people will pay eventually for your product. The computer guy can talk to Microsoft in "computer guy" chat and get results. My admitting that I am an idiot put a target on my back that can be exploited.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu May 12, 2016 11:54 am

the way I would replace corrupted files with backups would be to delete the suspect files and transfer them from the backup drive. Your computer guy might be the best bet. He is probably getting direct info while microsoft wants to charge you for executing the whole show. I'd get it right and have clean files at the ready and make sure that duplication feature remains deselected.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri May 13, 2016 11:54 am

I have decided to temporarily suspend using WMP and to look for another software that will do the same job.  There has to be one out there.  One that works as effectively and simply as WMP, but is better supported.  I'm not inclined at this point to give Bill Gates any more of my money if this is how he wants to treat his customers.  Microsoft has a near-monopoly on this stuff to start with.

75, I appreciate your input. I do not intend to sound unappreciative. I'm a bit discouraged and can see several years of work passing before my eyes. I'm sick of fooling with wonky computers. This one has been flashing the old "Internet Explorer has stopped working" warning all morning. Time for Google Chrome again for awhile......

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri May 13, 2016 2:28 pm

As Cheap as they are, You ought to get 2 or 3 flash drives to keep your music files on. You might look on C net downloads to look at various music library utilities. Write em down and go over them with your computer guy.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue May 17, 2016 1:21 pm

I believe that, impossible as it may sound, the little four-step "fix" for Media Player MAY have actually worked. I have all my files back like they should be. I dutifully restarted my computer for safety's sake. Time will tell. This surely was a lot of drama for a fairly simple fix. Why Microsoft put me thru the tater patch on this one is unknown. More research has revealed that this is a common problem with a simple fix. In hindsight, asking the "experts" at Microsoft was my first mistake. You guys, common, ordinary guys had the answer. Microsoft can go pound sand for all the good they did me.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down