RCA 9X572

View previous topic View next topic Go down

RCA 9X572

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun May 08, 2016 8:26 pm

My garage painting project got rained out this afternoon, so I decided to get back on this project.  

The schematic diagram for this radio is in Riders 20 RCA page 18.

I had previously gone thru this set with the usual capacitor replacement and checking tubes and resistors.  I found at that time I needed an IF transformer, the 2nd IF transformer, to be exact.  I dinked around and pushed this chassis to the end of the bench for another time.  I have, in the interim, found a parts donor for an IF transformer.  I have just the chassis for an RCA three-way portable, model number unknown, but the chassis number is RC-1059.  The schematic drawing for this chassis is in Riders 19, RCA page 5.  The second IF transformer in my project radio appears to not have an adjusting slug on the bottom winding.  I don't know if someone turned it too far at some point and it fell out, or if it never had one.  The transformer is a Miller replacement.  I can peak the first IF no problem, but can barely get any signal at all thru the second IF.  My plan it to transplant the second IF from the parts chassis into my project radio chassis.  I don't see any reason this would not work.  I can't recollect ever putting an IF transformer from a three-way portable into an AC-DC radio before.  

Edit.....barring something silly like SMD, according to the diagram, this should work. When I get a minute, I'll remove the IF from the donor chassis and transplant it into the project radio chassis.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5282
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: RCA 9X572

Post by 75X11 on Mon May 09, 2016 8:21 am

Looks like a good plan. That should make a nice looking radio. If it sounds as good as the speaker warrants, it should be worth the effort.
75X11

Number of posts : 5019
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon May 09, 2016 8:53 am

I have replaced a few IF transformers in radios since I got back into them. I usually look up what was in it and see if I have one in the junkpile. I have had on a occasion or two that I just looked at the ohms of the coil in the diagram then find something similar. It would work fine. IF transformers are not to bad to replace, thats why I want junk parts over radios. More parts the more chance I can fix a radio I want to.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1429
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon May 09, 2016 11:22 am

My plan was to accumulate some parts sets. The problem with that was that I got the radios running to see how many parts were actually good. Then I hated parting them when they worked. The only real parts sets I have are ones with bad cabinets or no cabinets. I can't imagine why some enterprising soul has not re-popped IF transformers. There certainly is a need and modern technology should eliminate the SMD situation. Or finding a good source for used transformers. Or another enterprising young soul who would fix IF transformers infected with SMD. My eyes and dexterity are not good enough anymore to mess with the fine wiring in IF transformers.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon May 09, 2016 4:33 pm

I swapped out the second IF transformer from the parts set. My project radio now works. I'm not saying it's the best radio I own, and I may do a re-alignment with a scope. I was too lazy to dig all that equipment out this afternoon. It rained out my painting again, so I had some tinkering time. It certainly works better than it did.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top