The Guests

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Guests

Post by 75X11 on Thu May 05, 2016 2:46 pm

A couple of days ago, I would catch the slight scent of hamburger that was just going off. I looked around the front to see if a new bird had slipped it's mortal coil 'neath the holly bushes. Nada. Next day, went to work, bad smells as I stepped out front. Got home from work, bad smells out front, inside the front door, in the bathroom and the kitchen. Had an appointment to go to, came home and the whole place smelled like the renderer's truck. I called the dead animal wrangler after seeing the door to my crawlspace broken nearly off it's hinges. Allright, it'll be 289.00 including tax. Went outside to mow the lawn waiting for him to arrive. He got there, went underneath for a long while and said he found a bunch of oppossums under there and he had to locate all of the maggoty little things. he had a half a trashbag full of decedents and he deodorized the area. I sure could've done without the expense. I'd like to know how this all came about.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: The Guests

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu May 05, 2016 6:45 pm

They got under there to possibly have their babies and could not find their way back out then died. Happens here all the time, usually in hay sheds and machinery sheds. Not as common under an occupied house, but, as you found out, not unheard of. We have to be vigilant to keep the armadillos from under our back deck. There is a lady just up the street who had a family of red foxes have babies under her deck. They are like pets to her. They hang around and are seemingly unafraid of humans.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu May 05, 2016 7:11 pm

They sure pack a lot of smell in those little critters.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu May 05, 2016 7:14 pm

They are a lot smellier when they expire under your house.  I guess you already figured that out, though, huh?  Shocked

I have actually heard of people eating young possums.  I never got that hungry, thank goodness.

A possum is a bottom feeder.  They eat dead critters, unless, of course, they ARE the dead critter.

EDIT......Just for fairness, my pluralization of "possum" may be entirely colloquial in nature and is not guaranteed to be correct.

EDIT AGAIN......If you run over a big old fat possum with your Pontiac, it will take out expensive stuff on its journey to the rear bumper, including said rear bumper. I did over $1500 worth of damage to my car that way. It took out the fuel line from the tank to the front and left possum parts on every crossmember and hangy-down part under the car. The get-ready guy at the Chevy dealer had to get all those possum parts off my Pontiac before they could get paid. I still have a bow in the AC condenser that the insurance company said would not hurt it, since I had an old car anyway.

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu May 05, 2016 7:28 pm

I wish they made an air freshener that could cover a dwelling that fast.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu May 05, 2016 7:32 pm

The smell of death is one of the hardest smells to remove. I sure wish you luck with that. Maybe one of those disaster restoration businesses could advise you as to the best avenue to take in that regard. For a fee, I'm sure.......

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu May 05, 2016 7:53 pm

Apparently they make a "bomb" like a bug fumigator that emits good smells and they used a couple of them in the crawlspace. It has worked. That was a part of the removal service.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu May 05, 2016 9:03 pm

Do you know how the critters got under your house?

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu May 05, 2016 9:12 pm

Yes, they broke down the door to the crawlspace and got in. The door is back up with a cinder block in front of it now. If I see one from now on I have a .22 air pistol with a red dot sight that I am going to dispatch it with. I had three others that squeezed into a tiny space beneath my old out building to have a croak. I don't know what it is about my property that makes them want to crap out there, but i would rather have them do it out in the yard where I can toss them away.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top