Shirt pocket Radios

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Shirt pocket Radios

Post by Resistance is Futile on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:23 pm

I also like Shirt pocket radios because they don't take up a lot of space.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 977
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tube42 on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:18 am

My mother tells me my grandmother use to hate those because she thought that they werent to good.

She called them "Jaboncitos" (little soaps) Laughing
tube42
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by antiqueradiobuff on Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:11 pm

I have a bout 5 in virous conditions i am going to try to get my radio watch working with one of these
antiqueradiobuff

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by krystallo on Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:56 am

Hey All. I have a FEW shirt pocket radios. My favorites are the "Boy's" two transistor reflex sets.

One of these is fairly deaf but the other is HOT .It makes a GREAT DX SET.

I also have a few misc 6 or 8 transistor sets . And I scooped up two of the last AM only pocket sets from radio shack just as they were being discontinued.

de K

krystallo

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Back to top Go down

Shirt pocket Japanese Radio with dummy transistors

Post by dan88king on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:24 pm

I am wondering if anyone has run into this with old shirt pocket Japanese transistor radios of the early 1960's. I had one years ago, a low-cost model that said "14 Transitor" right on the front. Well, it did have 14 metal case transistors, but right away I got suspicious. Six of them were look-alikes with no type markings, just colors painted on. I took the circuit board out of the case, and sure enough, every one of those six transitors was a dummy, with all three of its leads soldered to the same printed circuit foil pad. I got out my solder-sucker and removed tham all, and the radio played exactly the same as before. It wasn't worth anything way back in the mid-1970's, but ones like it could be interesting items today, showing a rather unfair competiton gimmick of the manufacturers. The buyer obviously thought he was getting 14 transitors, but in reality it was only eight, no better than average.
The other really odd shirt pocket transistor radio I still have around somewhare was bought at a local flea market. It had the name of some sports team on the front, football, I think, but it wasn't just AM Broadcast. It had a switch on the back that changed its frequency coverage, maybe to a fixed-tuned frequency; I never could figure it out, except that it seemed to have been designed to receive some sort of local stadium broadcast. It looks cheaply made, from the late 1960's or 1970's, maybe.

Dan King

dan88king

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2013-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:44 pm

That says something about the consumer then as opposed to now, that they troubled to stuff the board to have the appearance of the correct component count. If they had discrete construction now, most people would not bother to even inspect their radio's innards.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:02 pm

Resistance is Futile wrote:I also like Shirt pocket radios because they don't take up a lot of space.
I love these kind of threads you start. Makes me think about stuff. I like them, too. I only have one so far though. I need to get it out and find a battery for it and see if it even works.
Ragwire

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top