For the man who's made it...BUICK 1956

View previous topic View next topic Go down

For the man who's made it...BUICK 1956

Post by Dr. Radio on Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:58 am

I'm sure WC and others will get a kick out of this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FanjDt0S7zo&sns=em

Smile

Was the Roadmaster top dog in '56? (Meaning most expensive?)
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Re: For the man who's made it...BUICK 1956

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:45 pm

The Roadmaster was the top-line "senior" Buick made in 1956.  The Century was the banker's hot rod.  It had the lighter Special body and wheelbase, but had the Roadmaster engine.  My grandpa had a '56 Century with power windows and wire wheels.  Heady stuff for a farm kid back in the day.  

I had forgotten that Buick sponsored the Jackie Gleason Show. They also sponsored Perry Mason and Milton Berle. The Roadmaster series featured flared-in tail light assemblies, modified sweepspear location and no Buick emblem on the trunklid. And the '56 Roadmasters had stand-alone Buick emblems on the front fenders, ala the 1958 models. The "big" Buick V-8 Roadmaster engine for 1956 was 322 cubic inches and 255 horsepower. That was a big deal in the day, and was a very responsive engine. About the only car that would carry water for a '56 Century was a Chrysler 300 or maybe a Packard or a Cadillac. Dynaflow got an aluminum bellhousing assembly late in 1956 scattered across the entire line. All the '56 Buicks used the same size engine. Every series except Special got higher (10 to 1) compression, four-barrel carburetor (Carter AFB in Century!) different camshaft profile and dual exhaust. The Special 322 had 9 to 1 compression, 2-barrel carburetor and 220 horsepower. Even the Special engine was a good performer. The big engine was available as a "Power Pack" option on Special. 98% of all '56 Buicks had Dynaflow and over 80% had power steering and brakes. Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels (Skylark wires) were an option on all 1956 Buicks. Thanks for the memories, Doc. Very Happy

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:03 pm

Greg, you are a wealth of knowledge!

Smile
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:56 pm

I have spent the better part of 60 years loving and studying Buick.  I was raised with Buick.  Grandpa said I was born with the Buick crest stamped on one butt cheek and the "GM Mark of Excellence" on the other.  I have spent many a happy hour in a Buick with my grandpa.  He also had a Packard, but nobody ever mentioned that.  Grandma's family drove Packards and it kinda rubbed off on the old man somehow!  A 1956 Packard basically had a 1936 Buick front suspension, so they were related.

The 322 V-8 and Dynaflow combination was cock of the roost until the 401 V-8 and Triple Turbine Dynaflow came out in 1959. Grandpa's first car with that powerplant was in 1960. He bought a new Electra 225 model 4839 four door hardtop. It was Lido Lavender with black between the trim strips on the fins, basically the roof and trunk lid were black. My God, did the old man cut a wide swath in that car. It was his first car with air conditioning and would run off and hide from his '56 Century. He had it three weeks, when we got an Easter snow storm. We were all dressed in our Sunday best when we ran his new Buick into a snow bank. Grandpa traipsed back about two miles to the house in his "Sunday slippers", hopped on his Massey Harris 444 tractor, and, with grandma driving the Buick, pulled us about two miles to church. I think I still have a picture of this somewhere.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top