Jewel Radio-Bedside Lamp

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jewel Radio-Bedside Lamp

Post by Ragwire on Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:00 pm

Ever seen one of these? I am restoring it and I'm sorry I don't have pictures of it yet. The plastic lamp cover piece on mine has been replaced at some point with a clear, rather than frosted one so you can see the radio chassis and tubes when you look down inside it. At first I thought it was modified into a lamp by a previous owner and that the radio dial was removed, but then I noticed the tuning knob has the frequency numbers on it so there never was a dial in the top. This is a four tube radio, by the way, not a fiver.

Not mine, but similar. Mine is brown with mint green knobs.
http://www.tubesvalves.com/uploads/3/1/4/3/3143887/492327_orig.jpg

I have never seen one but I got it at a collector's estate auction a couple weeks ago.
Ragwire

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Jewel Radio-Bedside Lamp

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:46 am

That is an interesting radio.  A long antenna and strong local stations will be your friend when you use a four tube radio.  As a suggestion, I have found that the bottom of an old Tupperware container makes a good opaque light lens.  I know where there is a '63 Buick running around with a Tupperware "welcome lamp" lens....... Rolling Eyes

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:16 pm

LOL...thanks for the tupperware idea!
I was going to matt coat a peice of plexiglass, but I may have to see what I can find in the kitchen. Also. even though it's a small departure from originality, I am temped to leave it clear so one can see the tubes.

I have had only one four tube AM radio before, and I know what you mean. This on actually came with a long wire antenna. There is a dedicated slot for it to pass through on the bottom panel and it is soldered in--so I believe it's how it came.
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:33 pm

And, to keep your lamp cover in good shape, you could use an LED as opposed to a hot incandescent.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:49 pm

Good idea, but I don't think an LED bulb wil fit very well. I am using a frosted 7-1/2 watt night light bulb with an edison base. Anyway, I finished it but no pictures yet. Been busy with an Air King 252 and a friend's EICO 360 sweep generator. I decided to keep the clear lens. It looks original, but I think someone just did a very neat job of cutting out some plexiglass. It comes out with two thumbscrews to make it easy to change the bulb from the top.

You are right, too, on the reception. It is very poor without a long wire antenna. That extra 100 plus voltage gain of an IF stage really makes a world of difference.
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:18 pm

That Air King model sounds strangely familiar. I think I've got that model. Mine has a ballast tube that somebody bypassed with resistors. It is a middling to decent performer if I use my long outside antenna.

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:55 pm

I ended up opening the resistor tube (it's metal and had tabs that could be bent outward) and putting power resistors inside it.
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:44 pm

Neat fix!
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down